Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical Thrillers

Options
  • 11-12-2019 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Could you recommend any medical thrillers?

I used to read, and have practically read every Robin Cook book up until about 4 years ago. I found his recent books - in the last decade - are all predictable, and the protagonist is predictably a Harvard grad taking on the bad boys of medicine

Can anyone recommend other medical thriller books/authors?

Thanks
    asitis2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I have recently red and enjoyed an historical medical thriller: The Way of All Flesh by "Ambrose Parry" (The wife in the author duo is an an anaesthetist.)
    Set in Edinburgh in 1847.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭The White Feather

I would recommend Michael Crichton. He was a medical doctor when he was young and created the TV show "ER"

I have read "The Terminal Man" that I reviewed here and "A case of Need" that he wrote when he was younger in a different name Jeffrey Hudson. It was later republished under his own name.

"The Terminal Man" is more sci fi than a medical thriller so maybe not what you want but "A case of Need" is a definite medical thriller. Written in 1968 when Abortion was illegal in the US. The plot is this....
    In the tightly knit world of Boston medicine, the Randall family reigns supreme. When heart surgeon J. D. Randall’s teenage daughter dies during a botched abortion, the medical community threatens to explode. Was it malpractice? A violation of the Hippocratic Oath? Or was Karen Randall murdered in cold blood?

Amazon link here

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

"Coma" by Robin Cook. The film was excellent, which means the book must be even better.

Advertisement