Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City taxes for tourists

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Humphrey BoaGart

Dots1982 wrote: »
    So by that rational Dublin would be better off without tourists which is 100% untrue.

I never said that. If a tourism tax is such a bad idea, why do so many cities have it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Humphrey BoaGart

I don't really understand. Tourists pay to come here. They pay their hotel or whatever, they pay to eat out, to travel around, to see the sights etc etc. Holiday are expensive.

But you say that other people pay? I don't understand?

Many of the museums, sites etc are free for tourists. These are paid for by taxpayers.
    Tourists are also putting great strain on accommodation with AirBnB, etc.
    Why do you think so many cities have taxes on tourists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Many of the museums, sites etc are free for tourists. These are paid for by taxpayers.
    Tourists are also putting great strain on accommodation with AirBnB, etc.
    Why do you think so many cities have taxes on tourists?

But they're free for everyone. I'd say there's more Irish people going through the doors than tourists. I've been in the national museum a dozen times in my life, probably 3 or 4 on school tours.
    Even if we had no tourists these places would still be open. And they're spending money in the museum shops and cafes too.
    You can also argue that we wouldn't have museums of such quality without tourism. Think of the Wild Atlantic Want, Ring of Kerry etc. Also theres plenty of paid in sites, like Blarney which wouldn't be half as good without the busses of Americans queuing up to kiss the stone.

I understand the AirBnB argument, but tourism is definitely a new positive for Ireland no matter what way you you look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

I never said that. If a tourism tax is such a bad idea, why do so many cities have it?

I never said they were a bad idea. I said they were a rip-off.

Cities do it because they it’s an easy source of income as tourists are normally well to do so won’t mind paying.

I’m complaining about it, still going to pay it when I go to cities that have it. It’s unlikely to make or break my holiday plans. It’s just clear it’s a ripoff to levy tourists when they are there supporting your city financially.

The point you made about it being a response to tourists being a burden to cities was called out as illogical and nonsense.

Advertisement