Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Graphic designers, ad designers and their ilk?

• 05-01-2019 2:18pm
    Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

Why, even when you hand everything to them on a plate, do the majority of them go off and come up with completely different and of lesser quality?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Too much brandy before noon I'd reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Ask them to jazz it up a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Ask them to jazz it up a bit

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Probably because they're the professional artists, the ones who understand not only the techniques but also the theory, and because the demands given to them "on a plate" are usually impractical or silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Balanadan wrote: »
    Why, even when you hand everything to them on a plate, do the majority of them go off and come up with completely different and of lesser quality?

Because most of the time the concept or pitch given to them by clients are vague wishy washy tosh.

'We want to convey the message to our audience of hubris, exuberance and a Carpe Diem mentality' - For a baby food ad campaign probably.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Send back their drafts with the words 'that's great, but make it pop' on a stickie note, they really love that.
    Almost as much as hearing the other Americanism 'just dropped', used when some popstar releases a new record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Big Ed loves Mona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Because usually they're trying to describe some site/poster/ad they've seen already - then they get a bit upset when you point this out, they half blame you for shattering their dreams

Then you'll find they it's really that they want to be on TV, or on stage

But you shattered all that. Great craic realky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

gctest50 wrote: »
    Because usually they're trying to describe some site/poster/ad they've seen already - then they get a bit upset when you point this out, they half blame you for shattering their dreams

Then you'll find they it's really that they want to be on TV, or on stage

But you shattered all that. Great craic realky

Some load of nonsense.

kneemos wrote: »
    Big Ed loves Mona.

A great add campaign to get a new brand out there- whatever happened to Mona yoghurt anyway, is it still around?

• Advertisement

Some load of nonsense.

It's all true, the customer would be there without a f*****ng clue telling you what they want

Then get all upset when they get told their idea is basically sh*t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Usually op it is because the original Idea doesn't work or the client has given them a brief on something you have seen somewhere else that looks like it had taken a small company a week to produce and you want it done in a day by one person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

What's the project and what's the budget?

It's all true, they'd be there without a f*****ng clue telling you what they want

Then get all upset when they get told their idea is basically sh*t

Dunno what designers you've been working with but obviously the wrong ones.

Or you're one of these clients who think they know better than the designer they've hired.

Dunno what designers you've been working with but obviously the wrong ones.

Or you're one of these clients who think they know better than the designer they've hired.

i was referring to the clients there

probably doesn't render properly on a mac

i was referring to the clients there

probably doesn't render properly on a mac

Ah in that case, I retract my statement, clients are bastards. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

WHY? GRAPHIC Designers are great if they know your business and know what you want to achieve.

We have a team who are absolutely superb. They come up with ideas that are imaginative and different. They have transformed our web presence completely. They have developed new brand identities that people recognize instantly.

A good graphic designer is a must nowadays for online and also in print.

Our team are young and dynamic. A small business and I trust them implicitly they are friends of mine at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

The problem with graphic designers is they need to be digital marketeers and web developers as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

I think it's the reality of the level of creativity we have today.

Some of the best artist's and set designer's I know are usually 50 year's of age plus and still draw with pensils.

Even the best art directors draw with pensils and pens.
    The easy way out doesn't cut it when it comes to creativity.

Probably because they're the professional artists, the ones who understand not only the techniques but also the theory, and because the demands given to them "on a plate" are usually impractical or silly.

Marketing Insects- Now that's a good challenge- will probably involve chocolate or honey with chilli and sea salt :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

It's something I've never really considered to be honest.

Muckka wrote: »
    I think it's the reality of the level of creativity we have today.

Some of the best artist's and set designer's I know are usually 50 year's of age plus and still draw with pensils.

Even the best art directors draw with pensils and pens.

Muckka wrote: »

All designers work in different ways, there's no prescribed method.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

NSAman wrote: »
    WHY? GRAPHIC Designers are great if they know your business and know what you want to achieve.

We have a team who are absolutely superb. They come up with ideas that are imaginative and different. They have transformed our web presence completely. They have developed new brand identities that people recognize instantly.

A good graphic designer is a must nowadays for online and also in print.

Our team are young and dynamic. A small business and I trust them implicitly they are friends of mine at this stage.
    That reads like something on linkedin. :D But yeah if you get a good one then cool. I've known/worked with a fair number down the years. Like any pursuit you get good, bad and average and at about the same percentages as any pursuit. Compared to say Italy or France we're not a particularly visual/aesthetic culture, or at least it's a pretty recent thing locally which doesn't help on both the designer and client side.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭abcabc123123

I used to do a bit of freelance webdesign until I had a client who was basically this: https://theoatmeal.com/comics/design_hell

After the nth revision adding flashing buttons, they sent me the link of a competitor (who had a horribly dated website themselves) and asked me to copy it. I suggested the client hire the competitor's webdesigner instead and I haven't done any webdesign (other than for myself) since.

Not worth it. I don't know how others can do it.

Wibbs wrote: »
    That reads like something on linkedin. :D But yeah if you get a good one then cool. I've known/worked with a fair number down the years. Like any pursuit you get good, bad and average and at about the same percentages as any pursuit. Compared to say Italy or France we're not a particularly visual/aesthetic culture, or at least it's a pretty recent thing locally which doesn't help on both the designer and client side.
    Have to agree. It’s not LinkedIn. It is my person view of the people i work with.

I have tried designers in Ireland and other countries. Our current designers are not from Ireland. we had a major issue with our on line presence once, this causes you to re-evaluate a major part of any business and after searching we came across a young and small firm. We tried them, they wanted to work with us, I liked them and after 6 years they are an integral part of my team.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

All designers work in different ways, there's no prescribed method.

That's true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

There are some great ones and some terrible ones. I find the great ones generally work by giving them a rough outline of what you want and let them off. Getting into the nitty gritty of button shades etc makes it worse.

Telling them to copy someone else's work is generally a disaster, plus your business is just aping your competitor instead of standing out.

professore wrote: »
    There are some great ones and some terrible ones. I find the great ones generally work by giving them a rough outline of what you want and let them off. Getting into the nitty gritty of button shades etc makes it worse.

Telling them to copy someone else's work is generally a disaster, plus your business is just aping your competitor instead of standing out.

You know they are designing properly and doing a good job, when the competition starts copying your websites..;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

NSAman wrote: »
    It’s not LinkedIn. It is my person view of the people i work with.
    I don't doubt it N, I just meant it reads like business speak of the type you read there and in other business environments. To be fair you didn't use "going forward" or "paradigm" so there's that. :D
    I have tried designers in Ireland and other countries. Our current designers are not from Ireland.
    I'm not so surprised with that TBH N. Im not saying there aren't good Irish designers, there most certainly are, but the pool is small and the client base is small(and usually cheap) because the population is small. Off the top of my head I can personally think of three graphic/web "designers" that are pretty well established who seem to be in the position because of personality, longevity, hard neck[delete as applicable] rather than anything like a decent personal aesthetic. Neville Brody they are not. In the corporate world it can be worse again.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Graphic Design covers about x100 specailist occupations from signage, publishing, digital, font designers, exhibition space, packaging etc etc

Ad Designers often get a bad rap as the earn their crumbs promoting horrid sugar saturated pop drinks or fatty takeaway/junk food.
    But they're also reponsible for charity, appeals and social awareness campaigns e.g. Domestic voilence and drink driving campaigns.

Perhaps the most memorable ads are the 1990's tv ads for the 'GFA' (effectively selling 'peace as a product/commidity').
    And the famous poster for 'you country needs you' which enlisted millions to prevent Germanys pending reign over Europe.

The BA is now running 'Snowflakes, your country needs you', such is the changing social framework in an German led EU.
    The concept was likely concevied by a Copyrighter (not designer), along with an Art Director. The actual Designer simply produced the final directed artwork.

ROgc8IY.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

^A twist on the oft copied WW1 Kitchener recruiting posters, nothing much original about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Original Mad Stuntman pon di case!

^A twist on the oft copied WW1 Kitchener recruiting posters, nothing much original about that.

Nothing is entirely 'original' in the design world, and the aim of this campaign is not 'point scoring for originality', but instead simply to increase the volume signatures on a dotted line.

There is a reason non-german car brands use a german voice-over - which is to 'borrow or carry (free) leverage' of the well-regarded german brands upon their less reliable spanish/grench/itaian/eastern-block vehicles.

The Kitchener ads carry instant message recall and product placement, the fact they have females and requests for 'snowflakes, phone zombies etc' on them is a polar opposite to the original request for brave, strong, young men.

If you look at many of the major companies out there today.. Turner Duckworth, 3st kommunication.. they have major resources and are trusted by larger companies simply because of “name association” and clients... does their work always stand out? .. IMHO not really.

Some of the corporate in-house design companies eg. Pepsi, Coke have some seriously good people working for them. We don’t really see a huge amount of the work they do in Europe but places like China have different soda cans for major events... some of this work is fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Nothing is entirely 'original' in the design world, and the aim of this campaign is not 'point scoring for originality', but instead simply to increase the volume signatures on a dotted line.

There is a reason non-german car brands use a german voice-over - which is to 'borrow or carry (free) leverage' of the well-regarded german brands upon their less reliable spanish/grench/itaian/eastern-block vehicles.

The Kitchener ads carry instant message recall and product placement, the fact they have females and requests for 'snowflakes, phone zombies etc' on them is a polar opposite to the original request for brave, strong, young men.

Ad campaign own goal.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/angry-scots-squaddiequits-army-after-13821486?fbclid=IwAR1TJD5Qq9VkSyFU5zSwEmcVhsLVfwHgCGGaoraNExO4kX1DlmhFwAzfCsM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

^^^^
    A good designer also has to be business savvy and know what he/she can use and what they can not use unless the images are supplied by the Client, This designer has failed in that regard.

Advertisement