Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE again: Brendan Courtney pimping his whole family now...

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

So bad it was good. Pure cringe from start to finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I kinda like Brendan Courtney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Next show has to be "We Need to Talk about that Nobody Brendan Courtney"

And if your listening Brendan you need to stop checking out my ass when u see me in The George. At the same time I dont blame ya.

murpho999 wrote: »
    He was not openly gay at all. It was all rumour and hearsay at the time.

Well, he couldn’t be openly gay because of the legal status of homosexuality back then. I doubt he was ashamed of his sexuality. He was probably just worried about the legal ramifications of coming out like many gay folk back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,807 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I saw him in Brown Thomas a few years ago, going around with his nose stuck up in the air, the ar$ehole.

He only shops at Dunnes now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Well, he couldn’t be openly gay because of the legal status of homosexuality back then.
    He lived in london and then new york from the early 80's. i doubt The legal status of homosexuality in ireland was a factor for him.
    I doubt he was ashamed of his sexuality.

I dont think anybody suggested he was
    He was probably just worried about the legal ramifications of coming out like many gay folk back then.

The social ramifications were potentially much greater than any legal ramifications. Prosecutions were rare and usually occurred when acts took place in public.

AmberGold wrote: »
    Good to see him featuring in more factual mainstream TV and not the fashion type content he’s been associated with.

Personally I like him and think he’s entertaining, smart and has a lot of empathy. He was great in that property series. I think he’s capable of a lot more. Just sayin..

Agreed. He had his own talk show probably well over a decade ago now that sadly didn't last long (it was on TV3, I think, which likely didn’t help and I think his association with Off The Rails at the time meant people didn’t take him seriously). I thought he was a really good interviewer. Good instincts and empathetic. Certainly a better interviewer than many higher paid people than him, IMO.

He lived in london and then new york from the early 80's. i doubt The legal status of homosexuality in ireland was a factor for him.

I dont think anybody suggested he was

The social ramifications were potentially much greater than any legal ramifications. Prosecutions were rare and usually occurred when acts took place in public.

Was it really necessary to break up my relatively short post into a multiquote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I doubt he was ashamed of his sexuality. He was probably just worried about the legal ramifications of coming out like many gay folk back then.

You dont know that though. To some, homosexuality is an abomination, a sin against God, and a personal failing that one should try to cure, so he may well have been ashamed of something that was abhorrent to society in general, and not only something illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

You dont know that though. To some, homosexuality is an abomination, a sin against God, and a personal failing that one should try to cure, so he may well have been ashamed of something that was abhorrent to society in general, and not only something illegal.

Possibly-but according to the RTE documentary about him, that aired (was it this year, or last year? I genuinely don't know, no sarcasm on my part) he was pretty out among his friends, and even his family.
    Like, even in a time when it was illegal to be gay, he didn't hide it among those he was close to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement