Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE again: Brendan Courtney pimping his whole family now...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,807 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Put me in the 'really can't stand him' category...

It was his dad I felt sympathy for, because why wouldn't you? That could be anyone of us in that situation. And from all accounts, he was a genuine good man. (When Courtney came out to his dad, he was of the 'ah, fair play to ya' variety. Not a single ounce of homophobia on his part. That makes him a good person in my eyes).

Brendan Courtney I don't like. Sorry.

I never really said I liked him. I just don't hate him. I couldn't imagine us getting on if we knew each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I never really said I liked him. I just don't hate him. I couldn't imagine us getting on if we knew each other.

Aw, that's harsh, freshpopcorn... I'm sure you and me could get on really well if we knew one another.:confused:

Like, I'd totally buy you beer and show you around the town. :cool:

Aw, that's harsh, freshpopcorn... I'm sure you and me could get on really well if we knew one another.:confused:

Like, I'd totally buy you beer and show you around the town. :cool:

I take it you know I was referring to Brendan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Baz Ashmawy blazed this trail

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭shrek008

Plenty of ye old Irish bregudery here.

The man is mildly successful , got his family a gig and Rte spent their dollars. Good luck to him.

And no I'm not a fan of him but anybody who can get some success for themselves and their family doesn't deserve to be shamed for doing it. It was a somewhat enjoyable watch with some amount of food for thought.

A few posters on this thread must be jealous they aren't on d'telly.

Attention would be better drawn to Sinead Ryan the expert in nothing that's rolled out for everything
    Ah now leave Sexy Sinead outa it, wouldn't ya love to have her scrambling the eggs for ya on a winter's morn!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,558 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I thought it was a pretty good programme.

Older people can find the issues discussed very difficult and it helped to open up the discussion.
    Also making it relevant to the housing shortage was a good move.

McCauley Place is a very interesting place and it's nice to see it getting a mention.

http://mcauleyplace.ie/

I take it you know I was referring to Brendan!

:D:D:D

giphy.gif
    Baz Ashmawy blazed this trail

God...he'll be doing one next, about his mixed family, being a step-dad to four other kids, as well as his two own.

Many of these types will do anything to stay on TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

tigger123 wrote: »
    He's putting a human face (and story) on the struggles a lot of people have when dealing with the health system. I think it's good that these things are highlighted.

He can **** off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,868 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Thought that was ok. Monday nightish entertaining and mildly informative about the pitfalls and considerations ahead for some in my family and me eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Good to see him featuring in more factual mainstream TV and not the fashion type content he’s been associated with.

Personally I like him and think he’s entertaining, smart and has a lot of empathy. He was great in that property series. I think he’s capable of a lot more. Just sayin..

• Advertisement

AmberGold wrote: »
    Good to see him featuring in more factual mainstream TV and not the fashion type content he’s been associated with.

Personally I like him and think he’s entertaining, smart and has a lot of empathy. He was great in that property series. I think he’s capable of a lot more. Just sayin..

He'll be back in some fashion show in the future. Him and Sonya Lennon are returning.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Brendan Courtney's shows about his elderly parents and the difficulties his family face is nothing new: David Baddiel did the exact same thing before on Channel 4.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Brendan Courtney's shows about his elderly parents and the difficulties his family face is nothing new: David Baddiel did the exact same thing before on Channel 4.

Yep, these formats are never original. When Dancing with the Stars/ Strictly was at it's most popular, RTE went and made 'Jigs and Reels'...:rolleyes:
    'Celebrities' learn to Irish dance.

It was woeful. They only bought Dancing With the Stars when the format was tired and nobody gave a crap. So it was cheap.

JupiterKid wrote: »

I personally don't see how it's ground breaking or new.
    Most people I know have a fair idea what will happen with there parents when they get older or if a growing up child needed assistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Maybe, maybe not. Anyway just because it has been made for Channel 4 doesn't mean there shouldn't be an Irish version. It also doesn't have to be ground breaking. Just good (as a disclaimer, I've not seen the programme yet).

Maybe, maybe not. Anyway just because it has been made for Channel 4 doesn't mean there shouldn't be an Irish version.

But it just shows a complete lack of originality. There's no 'new' ideas coming up-it's just copying what the British channels are doing. But we live in an era where many of us have access to the UK channels, so stealing ideas is more apparent now. (And if you don't have the channels, you have the internet.)

The last 'good' spin on a UK show was the Blizzard of Odd. It copied some UK show who's name I cannot remember. Colin put his own spin on it.
    And then he tried to rip off Brass Eye, with his show 'The Unbelievable Truth' and it was woeful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

As I said, I've not seen this particular programme yet. If it was a good documentary I've no problem with it not being original. I thought the last one about his father was good. Especially because it dealt with our health care system and the Fair Deal scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,484 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I don't think anybody had an issue with that program but his latest one is basically about his healthy mother and what should do with her.

He or his other siblings do not want to take in the mother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭George White

KevRossi wrote: »
    Looks like he wrote his own Wiki page and that he has the writing ability of a 10 year old. Dire stuff.

He's also "creative" with his age, to put it mildly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

RTE personalities
    "Look at me, I'm sitting in daddy's chair".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Didn't watch this but liked the property show, it was well made and interesting. It probably got good viewing figures which is why he got to make this show too. He seems like a nice enough person, everyone on the property show seemed to genuinely like him which I think says a lot.

Now Vogue Williams..that's another story.......

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

They should bring back wanderlust, that was good, in probably the only decent thing he's done.

They should bring back wanderlust, that was good, in probably the only decent thing he's done.

He%20Said%20What%202.jpg

No, no, no, no, no...no...

Someone uploaded an episode to youtube...and Brendan's insufferable in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Doesn't he own his own production company? It is more like he comes up with an idea and asks them do they want it. Not like an RTE employee who they use on all their shows.
    I think he made a fair bit of money selling one of his shows formats in other countries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Doesn't he own his own production company? It is more like he comes up with an idea and asks them do they want it. Not like an RTE employee who they use on all their shows.
    I think he made a fair bit of money selling one of his shows formats in other countries

I dont think he has ever been an RTE employee. He has been producing shows through his own company for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Plenty of ye old Irish bregudery here.

A few posters on this thread must be jealous they aren't on d'telly.

Attention would be better drawn to Sinead Ryan the expert in nothing that's rolled out for everything

Yeah, it's begrudgery if they don't like who I like. Legitimate criticism if I also don't like them.

Moronic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I dont think he has ever been an RTE employee. He has been producing shows through his own company for years.

That is what I am saying making the OP's initial view mistaken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    That is what I am saying making the OP's initial view mistaken

I was agreeing with you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I saw him in Brown Thomas a few years ago, going around with his nose stuck up in the air, the ar$ehole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I saw him in Brown Thomas a few years ago, going around with his nose stuck up in the air, the ar$ehole.

Wtf were you doing in Brown Thomas? Penneys to good for you eh?

Advertisement