Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rudely spoken to at butchers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The burger would be there all day cutting off or adding in tiny pieces of chicken in garlic marinade.

This thread is great craic for a boring Sunday afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Is this seriously a thread, in all merciful christ what is wrong with you op. The most pointless moan I've seen in a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Post Traumatic stir fry disorder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Post Traumatic stir fry disorder

Post traumeatic stir fry order.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Falthyron wrote: »
    Doing a stint in retail should be a rite of passage for every human being. Gap Year? Fúck that. Sabbatical? No way. Do a year in retail and you will see what humanity really is.

I 100% agree with this. Feck mandatory national service. If everyone had to do at least three months in customer service then people would be much nicer to others in the industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Buying ready made stir fry? Lazy f*cker.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭opti76

no wonder the country is ****ed ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Just to set the picture, this is a chain store that I frequent one of location of, and they give a 10% discount to students. So this day I asked for €11 of stir-fry, and showed him that I'd a card when paying. I was sure to check the receipt though when walking away. I saw that the price charged was €11, with any reduction. As soon as I turned around to question it, I saw a frown down his face.

I said that I didn't see that any discount came off. He then said that he gave me €11.30, and he said it as if I somehow should have known. So I told him that I had asked for €11. He then grabbed the receipt from my hand, as his fingers rather clumsily bumped into mine, and rather condescendingly said "and what does that say?". Of course it said €11... he was trying to make me look stupid. Saying such is actually only making things go around in circles.

I didn't like the way he spoke to me, so I then explained how one would expect the discount to be deducted from the value of €11, which would give €9.90. This made me feel like I making a big deal over a few cents, but at the same time I was merely calling a spade a spade. He said something else, and definitely seemed to be speaking to me like a bouncer. For a second he awkwardly just looked away, as if I was trying his patience. At this point in time he seemed pretty hot headed, and I, not knowing how to diffuse the situation, just said "look, it doesn't matter" and walked off.

Sometimes it's as if we're so used to "the customer is always right" mentality being employed, that when something like this happens, we (or at least me) just don't know how to react. On hindsight, he didn't call out the final price or even face the card reader towards me so that I could see the price as I tapped it. If I were back, I'd have tried to return there and then, as I hadn't left the premises.

It was my first time being served by this particular guy at this butchers, and he actually seemed one of the more experienced guys there. There were a few other small things off about his demeanor before that. I wonder if he's even aware that they've just lost a customer because of him.

Other time I got the discount from the staff members at the same place, sometimes some of them seemed a bit confused how to work that feature on the till. And at times I was aware that I wasn't really getting the full 10% That didn't bother me, because I could see that they were being polite. One guy once even opened the till to physically take out coins because he didn't know how to give the discount.

I know the butcher involved, no manners, I asked him one day had he a sheepshead, he told me it was just the way his hair was combed!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭TheTruthIsMine

Omackeral wrote: »
    I'm sure they'd be devastated.
    Well actually I spend more than €30 there on each visit. Also, I certainly won't have anything good to say about them... and you know what they say!

• Advertisement

I do that buts it always an approximation. As in close to 10 euros worth and they give you meat costing 10€ +- 10-20c.

It’s pretty amazing to think the op was expecting exactly 11€ before the discount. The butcher would be there all day cutting off or adding in tiny pieces of chicken in garlic marinade.
    No, you don't get me. It's fine if it's a couple of cents over, but 30c off what he claimed he gave me, is about a 2-3% discount. Either way, he didn't give me the 10% discount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I would say they are glad to lose you op......

Oh this is why I hate dealing with the public....

Nokotan wrote: »
    I 100% agree with this. Feck mandatory national service. If everyone had to do at least three months in customer service then people would be much nicer to others in the industry.
    I have, and I don't agree with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Stand up for yourself and tell him not to speak to you like that. Simples.

Omackeral wrote: »
    You asked for €11 worth. Who does that? Most normal people order by weight.
    It's just as convenient for the butcher.

Well actually I spend more than €30 there on each visit. Also, I certainly won't have anything good to say about them... and you know what they say!

On each visit? Even the time you spent 11euro.
    If you spend 30 then get 3 euro back the butcher is probably only making 2 euro a week on you. He won’t miss you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,290 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Ah here.. it's a Sunday in May with nice weather outside and you're sitting on your phone cribbing about a grumpy butcher and a 10% discount.
    Go outside and hear the birdsong my friend.

To thine own self be true

On each visit? Even the time you spent 11euro.
    If you spend 30 then get 3 euro back the butcher is probably only making 2 euro a week on you. He won’t miss you.
    No I mean >€30 after the discount.

€2 a week? If that's how much he makes per customer, he'll need every penny.

No I mean >€30 after the discount.

€2 a week? If that's how much he makes per customer, he'll need every penny.

That’s what students dont realize everyone isn’t pulling 100 000 a year out of the sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I've heard some silly stories but this takes the brisket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

What's the beef my little lamb?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

It must have been traumatic, butcher he'll be ok!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭FingerDeKat

Falthyron wrote: »
    Do a year in retail and you will see what humanity really is.
    and follow that up with a stint working in a call centre:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,156 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I don't know if you're being smart, but wasn't the way he worked before at this particular place.

In your op you say that he never served you before???

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

It must have been traumatic, butcher he'll be ok!!!!!!![/QUOT
    Now that's the **** that us butchers have to put up with .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Get a life ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

The OP dealt with the butcher in a very hamfisted manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

HTFU!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Has to be a wind up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Well actually I spend more than €30 there on each visit.

Is that a real €30 as in €30 or is it €30 as in €27? Do you see where this is all going wrong?

• Advertisement

I would say they are glad to lose you op......
    Sparing a few seconds to explain something isn't worth the several hundred €100 I've spent there since last November.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    In your op you say that he never served you before???
    That's right. What are you getting at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Sparing a few seconds to explain something isn't worth the several hundred €100 I've spent there since last November.

You ok hun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,156 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It was my first time being served by this particular guy at this butchers, and he actually seemed one of the more experienced guys there. There were a few other small things off about his demeanor before that. I wonder if he's even aware that they've just lost a customer because of him.

I don't know if you're being smart, but wasn't the way he worked before at this particular place.

That's right. What are you getting at?

The two top statements contradict each other.

How come it's always new accounts posting weird and wacky stories. If I wasn't such a trusting fella I'd think it a wind up

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,398 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

As a child, I used to weep in butcher shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Go vegan, that'll show him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

dulux99 wrote: »
    We live in a sick sick world. I hope you're OK after this harrowing incident. Nobody should have to go through what you went through, you're very brave for sharing your story.

Hugs....

I've heard some silly stories but this takes the brisket.

Don't make a joke of this, the steaks have never been higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 VainHard Bendix

If €11 of stir fry becomes €10 of stir fry then how can it still paradoxically be €11 of stir fry.
    The OP was posing the Butcher an existential conundrum which it was unfair to ask him to deal with with a busy shop full of customers. This man is trained to cut up meat. Not trade riddles on quantum physics with scrounging, mangy students.

• Advertisement

It's Schrödinger's Stir-Fry. It's both simultaneously €11 of stir fry and €10 of stir fry at the same time and it doesn't become apparent until you examine it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,507 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'd go back and tenderise the butcher, OP. Don't mince your words.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

How the fcuk does a student buy €11 worth of stir fry anyway?

In my day we had a stone to take turns in licking.

So you asked for 11 euro worth of stir fry and got 11 euro worth of stir fry and that's terrible

alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Just to set the picture, this is a chain store that I frequent one of location of, and they give a 10% discount to students. So this day I asked for €11 of stir-fry, and showed him that I'd a card when paying. I was sure to check the receipt though when walking away. I saw that the price charged was €11, with any reduction. As soon as I turned around to question it, I saw a frown down his face.

I said that I didn't see that any discount came off. He then said that he gave me €11.30, and he said it as if I somehow should have known. So I told him that I had asked for €11. He then grabbed the receipt from my hand, as his fingers rather clumsily bumped into mine, and rather condescendingly said "and what does that say?". Of course it said €11... he was trying to make me look stupid. Saying such is actually only making things go around in circles.

I then explained how one would expect the discount to be deducted from the value of €11, which would give €9.90. This made me feel like I making a big deal over a few cents, but at the same time I was merely calling a spade a spade. He said something else, and definitely seemed to be speaking to me like a bouncer. For a second he awkwardly just looked away, as if I was trying his patience. At this point in time he seemed pretty hot headed, and I, not knowing how to diffuse the situation, just said "look, it doesn't matter" and walked off.

Sometimes it's as if we're so used to "the customer is always right" mentality being employed, that when something like this happens, we (or at least me) just don't know how to react. On hindsight, he didn't call out the final price or even face the card reader towards me so that I could see the price as I tapped it. If I were back, I'd have tried to return there and then, as I hadn't left the premises.

It was my first time being served by this particular guy at this butchers, and he actually seemed like one of the more experienced guys there. There were a few other small things off about his demeanor before that. I wonder if he's even aware that they've just lost a customer because of him.

With other times that I got the discount from the staff members at this butchers, sometimes some of them seemed a bit confused how to work that feature on the till. And at times I was aware that I wasn't really getting the full 10%. But that didn't bother me, because I could see that they were being polite. One guy once even opened the till to physically take out coins because he didn't know how to give the discount.

There's three sides to every story, no one needs to see the others after this

How the fcuk does a student buy €11 worth of stir fry anyway?

In my day we had a stone to take turns in licking.
    Some students work part time jobs, during which they don't take their anger out on customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Don't be messing about with a butcher OP. Especially the chief one. Next time you go to get your stir fry it could well be crow fry

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

for all you know his wife left him that day
    I'd understand why she'd leave him if that's the way he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

You obviously have little to worry about in life if this non-incident resulted in a multi-paragraphed rambly rant. Lucky you OP.

buried wrote: »
    Don't be messing about with a butcher OP. Especially the chief one. Next time you go to get your stir fry it could well be crow fry
    Try again!

I can see tomorrow’s headlines already

“Vile, disgusting, butcher gives customer exactly what they asked for”

• Advertisement
Advertisement