Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The slow death of forums *see OP for Admin warning and update 28/02/18*

Options

Comments

dudara wrote: »
    To get back to the original topic, I think the way the world is communicating and sharing is changing. And I don’t know if forums like Boards will be continue to be mainstream in this newer way of communicating. It’s nothing to do with moderation, I simply think that the age of structured discussion, like we have here, has passed its apex.

I think forums will continue to appeal to certain people and certain interests, but looser, more fluid forms will probably be more successful over the next period.

I have never really got in trouble with mods on this site, a yellow card maybe here or there over the years (I closed my original account) but 100% the over moderation on this site has hurt the site. There is some very biased moderation and what will get you banned on one sub forum wont get you banned on another, the appeals process is a joke etc.

I have been using boards for over a decade now and I really like this site and dont wan't to see it go away but lets call a spade, moderation on boards is a joke and Boards has been told that by their users for years, that and new sites like reddit are much more user friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Maybe time to survey boards members on what they want and what might revitalise the forum.

I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

I blame End Of The Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I think face book is the problem or at least what make face book popular is. it is the drive by culture of it. its a bit like driving down the street , you wind down the window and make some comments then drive on to the next post and do the same. there is no waiting around and having a discussion. people are too impatient and have fingers in too many pies.

years ago most people only went to 2-3 forums but now its dozens of groups on facebook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

I blame End Of The Road.

What stops me from getting into debates on boards.ie is thinking to myself that if I saw this person walking down I wouldn't give 2 ****s what's their opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

I blame End Of The Road.

What stops me from getting into debates on boards.ie is thinking to myself that if I saw this person walking down I wouldn't give 2 ****s what's their opinion.

You're a bigger man/woman than I.

Though my post was somewhat in jest, I now avoid any thread wherein certain posters are involved as it just becomes a cyclical head melt.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

gandalf wrote: »
    Oh dear people are offering feedback in the thread, watch the mods lock it and slap their fingers in their ears, along with the admins and so called community managers and sing "everything is awesome" at the tops of their voices ;)
    And it's posts like this that drag threads off topic due to what appears to be a personal distaste perhaps down to someone not thinking the site is run like it used to be when it counted it's annual posts in the hundreds of thousands

But don't let me get in the way of a good whinge gandalf

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Beasty wrote: »
    And it's posts like this that drag threads off topic due to what appears to be a personal distaste perhaps down to someone not thinking the site is run like it used to be when it counted it's annual posts in the hundreds of thousands

No it's posts like mine that highlight the head in the sand attitude exhibited by those in "charge" (and their fanboys) and their absolute fear of feedback from the users of this site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭millie35

You're a bigger man/woman than I.

Though my post was somewhat in jest, I now avoid any thread wherein certain posters are involved as it just becomes a cyclical head melt.

Anyone remember Nodin?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Too many Closed Accounts? Fine, remove the ‘Closed Account’ tag.

Too much bad Feedback? Fine, restrict the be-Jesus out of the Feedback forum.

You honestly couldn’t make it up.

I miss the days when DeVore gave the place a steer.

Beasty wrote: »

Reads like a very condescending reply on your behalf. The numbers don't lie: boards is in decline - but yet the important thing is to stick it to someone you don't agree with, for a few cheap points?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Unfortunately we're all stuck here on the only forum on the internet, where we have to put up with thin-skinned delicate little flowers constantly whinging about not being able to say and do whatever they want, while paying absolutely nothing to use it.

If only there we're other forums out there that people could use to talk sh*te in...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

One part of Boards that is certainly not dying is Forum Games and the Werewolf sub-forum. A quick look at the recent games there, and even the current D & D threads and there's an example of a sub forum bucking the current trend.

As for the over moderation, I think people need to look at themselves more often than blame mods.

Way too much word vomit. Threads on the same things over and over again, and the same morons arguing ad infinitum the same points.

People mashing the keyboard with their heads and expecting a site to accept that as an opinion.

Agenda driven bile and racist nonsense.

The internet and places like Twitter, Facebook to a degree are increasingly becoming more and more horrible to read with nothing done to stem talk of a dangerous nature.
    If Boards continues to clamp down on that absolute rubbish I for one salute them. Would be too easy to conform to the norms of the web these days and allow this to become as lawless as other popular sites.

And whoever made the politics.ie comment... Jesus H Christ please never let this place turn into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,490 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Boards has been dying for a few years now. But it will never die completely. Because we will always have people who come along every now and again to tell us it is dying.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57312184

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71460682

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89333673

Boards has been dying for a few years now. But it will never die completely. Because we will always have people who come along every now and again to tell us it is dying.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57312184

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71460682

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89333673

It's true that boards' supposed death has been heralded a number of times before now and for a long, long time I would have said that a lot of that kind of talk was just that: talk - talk that wasn't actually borne out in the shape of what still seemed to be a very busy site. There's always been a sizable contingent of the userbase who whinge about everything and boards supposed death was for a long time just a manifestation of that.

But I think the decline that has set in over the last 18 months to 2 years or so is undeniable at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

gandalf wrote: »
    Oh dear people are offering feedback in the thread, watch the mods lock it and slap their fingers in their ears, along with the admins and so called community managers and sing "everything is awesome" at the tops of their voices ;)

Indeed. It makes no sense. How come the other thread was locked and this isn't?

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057822803/22/#post105663817

This is de facto feedback. Why oh why was that forum gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

It's a topic which has been done to death - and done so, because it's been a constant problem for years and years now - and management seems determined to do nothing about it, other than hide the 'negativity' of discussing it.

At its core, the problem is that the attitudes and views of those running the site - the admins/mods - are going to stay the same no matter how the rules and all are tweaked - the site needs a complete reboot, to discard the people running the site, discard the bureaucratic system of rules that can't be consistently enforced, and start over with the lightest-touch moderation possible.

Let the community lead the site, don't have a small cabal of moderators dictating the fucking flow of things - even if they mean well, scores of them are fucking things up all over the site.

I think the corporate management that is still left, just don't give a shit about Boards or the community anymore - they're just interested in leveraging the base functionality of the site, for commercial purposes, and don't give a toss about the community, or truly open discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

The place has had a reputation for heavy handed mods that kill debate for a long time. So if you want a serious discussion, you don't use boards.ie.

That has led it to just being a place for moaning and passive-aggressive soapboxing.

It's not just AH either. The sub forums can be very cliquey, anything disagreeing with the consensus is trolling, anyone asking a question is told to read the charter or do a search, anyone starting a new topic is told something similar already exists, anyone bumping an old thread is told not to bump zombie threads.

All in all, it's an extremely unwelcoming place

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Zerbini Blewitt

Arghus wrote: »
    If moderation is to blame for certain areas of boards avoiding becoming another cesspit of craziness along the lines of politics.ie, then long live moderation.
    I don’t post on p.ie but I have 80 people on ignore – across only three forums :eek:– just in order to be able to read the threads I’m interested in.

Once I did that recently, it made p.ie readable; basically, the system is - you become your own moderator.

Much better once you get the hang of it. The big benefit is:- the site stays dynamic (by having low levels of entry for posting) and the moderation regime is less in your face than the infuriating, mythering, nannying that goes on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,490 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

KyussB wrote: »
    It's a topic which has been done to death - and done so, because it's been a constant problem for years and years now - and management seems determined to do nothing about it, other than hide the 'negativity' of discussing it.

At its core, the problem is that the attitudes and views of those running the site - the admins/mods - are going to stay the same no matter how the rules and all are tweaked - the site needs a complete reboot, to discard the people running the site, discard the bureaucratic system of rules that can't be consistently enforced, and start over with the lightest-touch moderation possible.

Let the community lead the site, don't have a small cabal of moderators dictating the fucking flow of things - even if they mean well, scores of them are fucking things up all over the site.

I think the corporate management that is still left, just don't give a shit about Boards or the community anymore - they're just interested in leveraging the base functionality of the site, for commercial purposes, and don't give a toss about the community, or truly open discussion.

You have three posts. How did any of this affect you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

KyussB wrote: »

What you're talking about is effectively a different site then.

Also, a group of like minded free spirited users tried to build that utopia of light moderation and rigorous debate over on voat. Shítshow.

I don't think the site is run perfectly or anything and I'll air that opinion when it comes up but the actual obsession some people have with complaining about it and attacking it is fcuking weird. It's a bloody bulletin site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Ah, the place can be a bit of craic now and then. But it's hardly a professional website/forum?

Sure I joined over a decade ago and the search function still doesn't work. I always assumed it was someone's hobby tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

Forums are better browsed on a desktop than a smartphone. And typing replies is a pita on the smartphone too. For me, that’s a lot of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

fits wrote: »
    Forums are better browsed on a desktop than a smartphone. And typing replies is a pita on the smartphone too. For me, that’s a lot of it.

The touch site is good on the phone IMO....but has nowhere near as many functions as the full site

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The really funny thing is that the small cabaal of people - the clique of complainers - who keep going on over and over about the sins and shortcomings of the site, for some reason stick around!

There is a whole internet out there, surely they could head off and start a site that works the way they want it to? This site was started by a few interested people so many years ago (in internet terms) with no funds, no organisation, just themselves. If they could do it surely those dissatisfied with this site could do the same? You will know what pitfalls to avoid, what the people want, it should be a doddle.

It was always the way, in any organisation, the biggest group of complainers, of people who criticised everything 'the committee' did, who carped and gossiped and did their best to break things up, were the people who never made any actual contribution to the organisation. Kinda sad really. Yes, the committee might get it wrong sometimes, might be a bit over authoritative at times, could not suit everyone all the time, but they were the ones who were actually putting in the time, discussing the options, trying to make the organisation the best it could be. While the 'experts' propped up the bar and whinged, then went home till next time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

looksee wrote: »
    The really funny thing is that the small cabaal of people - the clique of complainers - who keep going on over and over about the sins and shortcomings of the site, for some reason stick around!

There is a whole internet out there, surely they could head off and start a site that works the way they want it to? This site was started by a few interested people so many years ago (in internet terms) with no funds, no organisation, just themselves. If they could do it surely those dissatisfied with this site could do the same? You will know what pitfalls to avoid, what the people want, it should be a doddle.

It was always the way, in any organisation, the biggest group of complainers, of people who criticised everything 'the committee' did, who carped and gossiped and did their best to break things up, were the people who never made any actual contribution to the organisation. Kinda sad really. Yes, the committee might get it wrong sometimes, might be a bit over authoritative at times, could not suit everyone all the time, but they were the ones who were actually putting in the time, discussing the options, trying to make the organisation the best it could be. While the 'experts' propped up the bar and whinged, then went home till next time.

And this condescending post from a
    Mod just sums up everything wrong with the site.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement