Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pumpkin patches

Options
  • 09-10-2016 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭

Is there any in Ireland ??why not

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Gardening >>>>>>>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

I don't know is there any!?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Generally people don't get addicted to pumpkins so the demand is low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

The devils work on Halloween !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Say whatnow?

Oooh, right. No idea, probably someone grows them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Samaris wrote: »
    Say whatnow?

Oooh, right. No idea, probably someone grows them?

That's what she said ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Botanic gardens glasnevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

One in Kilkenny according to the lidl billboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

This is Halloween, everybody scream,
    Won't you please make way for a very special guy
    Our man Jack is king of the pumpkin patch,
    Everyone hail to the pumpkin king
    Now, this is Halloween, this is Halloween, Halloween, Halloween, Halloween, Halloween
    In this town we call home everyone hail to the pumpkin song
    La la la la la, etc, etc...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There's a little allotment behind where I live where pumpkins are grown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,141 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Pumpkins don't do that well in Ireland; they generally like a warmer climate and drier soil than we can offer. You can grow pumpkins in Ireland, but what you get is usually unpalatable, and produces little oil. In any event, there is little market in Ireland for pumpkins for human consumption. Irish-grown pumpkins can serve as animal fodder, but other fodder crops generally yield a better return. Irish-grown pumpkins aren't that great for decorative purposes, either; they are small, hard and pale compared to imports from sunnier, drier places.

You might grow pumpkins if you like a challenge as a gardener, but I doubt if there is much commercial growing happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Do you mean the American style pumpkin patches with food and kids rides, as well as copious amounts of pumpkins? I guess the post above explains the lack of pumpkins but I'm sure there would be a market for something similar around Halloween

• Registered Users Posts: 26,141 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

We have our own long-established halloween traditions in Ireland and, for obvious reasons, they don't involve pumpkins, except recently and fairly peripherally. I've never heard of "pumpkin patch" as a kiddies attraction, but that could just be me. I'm not convinced there would be a market for a large-scale children's fairground-type attraction at Halloween - if there is, why doesn't such an attraction already exist? - and the main reasons are that the weather in late October/early November isn't really that dependable, it gets dark fairly early, and the kids are mostly in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Pumpkins don't do that well in Ireland; they generally like a warmer climate and drier soil than we can offer. You can grow pumpkins in Ireland, but what you get is usually unpalatable, and produces little oil. In any event, there is little market in Ireland for pumpkins for human consumption. Irish-grown pumpkins can serve as animal fodder, but other fodder crops generally yield a better return. Irish-grown pumpkins aren't that great for decorative purposes, either; they are small, hard and pale compared to imports from sunnier, drier places.

You might grow pumpkins if you like a challenge as a gardener, but I doubt if there is much commercial growing happening.

Load of bullocks.

I have 4 monster pumpkins growing in my garden. Should reach about 20 kgs by Halloween and are already bright orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Ditto Pkiernan.

I have been growing them and sweetcorn for two years now successfully. Some of the fatsos are now turning orange.

There are different varieties - so get one that suits this part of the world.

The best Irish effort I've seen was actually high up in the black north in The Ulster American Folk Park. Good corn too.

Corn, pumpkins, and beans are called the 3 sisters by native Americans. They compliment each other grown side by side and amongst each other. Beans put nitrogen back in and big pumpkin vine leaves keep down weed growth around the corn stalks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

skinny90 wrote: »
    Is there any in Ireland ??why not

There's several. We bring the kids to "Alright Pumpkin" (somewhere in Meath - look them up on Facebook). Have pickbyour own pumpkin, a real corn maze (which the kids love), and straw bale characters.

Free in, only pay for what you take. Pumpkins start at €5 and are sold by size rather than weight. Corn is 50c an ear - grab it right off the stalk, get home as soon as possible, shuck & roast ASAP, it'll be the best you'll ever taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Yes, there's one in Summerhill in Meath, also the Pumpkin Festival in Virginia, Co Cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't think pumpkins are particularly tasty so maybe there isn't a demand in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

biko wrote: »
    I don't think pumpkins are particularly tasty so maybe there isn't a demand in Ireland.

You sir, are quite obviously insane and should be disregarded entirely.

Seasoned properly pumpkin makes an excellent roast vegetable, delicious soup & when sweetened makes a fantastic pie.

It's also an excellent flavouring for beer & there's the obvious pumpkin spice range of products.

Advertisement