Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sad Selfie

Options
  • 13-08-2016 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭

So I'm in the local leisure centre today, having a swim to keep my 54 year old chassis in mint condition. Lovely and quiet, the way I like it. I couldn't help but notice this woman, around 30, in the jacuzzi on her own, taking pictures of herself using a selfie stick. All big smiles and then a miserable face when she was finished.

I can imagine her sending pics to her mates with some sort of caption saying she was having a right time. I didn't have the heart to tell her phones/cameras were banned in the pool area. I don't know myself what point I'm trying to make but it was a very sureal moment for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭gifted

Pics of your own chassis or get off the forum lol lol

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Have you ever heard of a 'griefie'? I've bloody seen them. Person takes a pic of themselves grieving at a funeral and uploads it with hashtags like

#GoneTooSoon #RIP #SoSad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 147 ✭✭Ericdravancrow

She shouldn't have been taking photos in a gym/ pool full stop, hope she dropped it in the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Bringing a selfie stick into a Jacuzzi, jees that's pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Coca Cola put up a gigantic swing set at Longitude this year.

Only you weren't allowed to swing on it.
    You sat on it, got your picture taken and then a security guard told you to get off and let the next person from a queue of 50 on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

If only a 'human sausage' had floated into frame...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

Omackeral wrote: »
    Have you ever heard of a 'griefie'? I've bloody seen them. Person takes a pic of themselves grieving at a funeral and uploads it with hashtags like

#GoneTooSoon #RIP #SoSad

Oh my god.

I was at a funeral last week and there was a girl taking selfies the minute we got back to the pub. It was the weirdest fcuking thing. Dolled up to the nines and a suicide victims funeral taking selfies for the day. I can't believe she's not the only one who's ever done this. I've never seen it before and thought it was so weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Burial. wrote: »
    Bringing a selfie stick into a Jacuzzi, jees that's pathetic.

Yeah, I think that's it. Usually a few yummy mummys bring their phones in (despite the ban) to take pictures of their darling Tarquin or Shareena, but the selfie stick was the thing that caught my eye, especially as she was on her own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Brought the gf out for a walk a few weeks back.

She spent a few mins taking selfies, straight to instagram and snapchat, #exercise #gains, sh*te like that, then said she was cold and sat in the car for an hour.

I see the same thing on nights out, groups of women, all staring at their phones ignoring each other, then fake smiles and hugs for a selfie and back to the phones.

What the f*ck like?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Crass behaviour....

• Advertisement

gifted wrote: »

If the first word in my username gives the false impression that I am a lady, I apologise. However, if you insist ..............

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Pathetic, shallow and very vain.

One of the big downsides of social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Was she pouting? If she was pouting, I'd have jumped in there and fcuking drowned her!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Burial. wrote: »
    Bringing a selfie stick into a Jacuzzi,
    That's open to misinterpretation, apparently it doesn't mean show up naked.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

We're creating a generation of narcissistic fuckwits who think every waking moment is being played out on a stage provided by social media.

Follow me on:
    Twitter
    Instagram
    Snapchat
    Facebook
    Wordpress
    Youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭gifted

If the first word in my username gives the false impression that I am a lady, I apologise. However, if you insist ..............
    Oh God...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

At least you got the opportunity to judge her.
    That's the main thing.

So I'm in the local leisure centre today, having a swim to keep my 54 year old chassis in mint condition.
    gifted wrote: »
    I'd like to nominate this as post of the month.

Why doesn't Boards.ie have a post of the month award? Maybe if a nominated post gets more than ten likes it ends up on a separate monthly list and the post that gets the most thanks gets awarded POTM?

I'd like to nominate this as post of the month.

Why doesn't Boards.ie have a post of the month award? Maybe if a nominated post gets more than ten likes it ends up on a separate monthly list and the post that gets the most thanks gets awarded POTM?

That will ruin the site.

Your Face wrote: »
    That will ruin the site.

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Omackeral wrote: »

#GoneTooSoon #RIP #SoSad

I've been sent snapchats of a dying grandmother. I believe that that is even worse than a "griefie." Selfies and snapchat, etc can be fun when they want to be but they've created a very twisted, selfish and overly public culture for some people.

Why?

It will make getting likes into more of a competition than it already is.
    Also, on the desktop site you can see which posts got most likes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

#nomakeup #healthkick #paleo #detox

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Get over it.

At least you got the opportunity to judge her.
    That's the main thing.

I said it was a surreal moment, I didn't judge her, but sure you've already assessed me without properly reading my post. That would be judgi..... forget it

Tell me Your Face, tell me, how could we possibly make thankswhoring any more of a competition than it already is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

Also, on the desktop site you can see which posts got most likes anyway.

They already have post of the day. Given to the post with the most thanks each day.

After hours isn't included though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

We're creating a generation of narcissistic fuckwits who think every waking moment is being played out on a stage provided by social media.

Follow me on:
    Twitter
    Instagram
    Snapchat
    Facebook
    Wordpress
    Youtube

What, no FriendFace?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,310 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Tell me Your Face, tell me, how could we possibly make thankswhoring any more of a competition than it already is?

Although I agree with you that the post by a Boy Called Sue was quite brilliant and worthy of a hypothetical post of the month award I'll side with Your Face.

Doing that could make the site as narcissistic as the behaviour we're talking about.

Anyway, OP should have photobombed her with his chassis and then posted the result here. And then reported her for taking photos. Not to start a gender row but if a male did it he'd be told fairly sharpish to leave and never return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

eeguy wrote: »
    I see the same thing on nights out, groups of women, all staring at their phones ignoring each other, then fake smiles and hugs for a selfie and back to the phones.

What the f*ck like?

Spot on. Best thing is this; 1) They take the photo, all posey and fake looking chesire cats/demented ducks. 2) Examine it to see if it's good. 3)It's not, let's do it again.

They're literally creating false memories.

Advertisement