Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So where are you travelling to for the festive period

• 08-12-2014 9:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I'm gonna join my family in Scotland from the 22nd, looking forward to it, I'd say many of you a making a long journey back to Ireland or where ever. :)

Edit: I also meant where are you travelling from too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Staying home with my family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Ireland! 12 days to gooooooooooooo:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Neighbour's house down the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

France. Only back for one sodding week as I have to be back to work on the Monday after Xmas Day.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Sydney for Christmas, cairns then Sydney for new years, then Perth in the new year for a few days.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Travelling from SPAIN (WHERE I LIVE) to Ireland.

Sssssspaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaain! Eeeeespain! Spain!

Lucena wrote: »
    France. Only back for one sodding week as I have to be back to work on the Monday after Xmas Day.

:(

Ah ****e! You just edited your post and now I look like a spa.

Verdad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

To the kitchen. Then to the couch. Rinse and repeat for 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Is this the "dear burglars, my house is empty " thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

It would be espain in the arse if the weather messed up your flights like it did other years.

Ah ****e! You just edited your post and now I look like a spa.

Sorry, thought it seemed a bit stalkerish, so I changed it. :o

Lucena wrote: »
    Sorry, thought it seemed a bit stalkerish, so I changed it. :o

Hardly! I never shut up about the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

If I leave the post code I will be doing well.
    Have spent a total of 92 hours on planes this year, countless hours in the car and way to many hours on trains.
    So will try and spend most of the 2 week christmas holiday on my arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

To the fridge and back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

Drogheda :(
    I's rather spend the day in a flotation tank filled with cow shit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Traveling back from the US to Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Ah man. Today seems to be the day of the homeless ex celeb. First Danielle Westbrook and now The Fridge.

Wipes tear from eye.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Up to mammys for the breakfast lunch and dinner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

If I can't be found in either my house, my parents' house or my local, my plans have gone seriously awry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

Down the bog-ar*e of nowhere down the country on Xmas eve.... going to be extremely bored by about 12pm Xmas day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Italy for a week, then work Christmas party, then home. Nice December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

back to ireland from england for the last time. something satisfying about finally buying a one way ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

It's my first Christmas ever away from home ... So ... I'm staying in a fab luxury hotel five minutes down the road from home! Baby steps! :D

I will be spending three nights there with my gorgeous ridey boyfriend, and our beautiful baby son. And spending Christmas day with my amazing parents and siblings. Life doesn't get much better. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

It's my first Christmas ever away from home ... So ... I'm staying in a fab luxury hotel five minutes down the road from home! Baby steps! :D

I will be spending three nights there with my gorgeous ridey boyfriend, and our beautiful baby son. And spending Christmas day with my amazing parents and siblings. Life doesn't get much better. :)

I don't know if that actually counts as being away from home.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

ah i'd say it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Won't be home for Christmas this year, be back in late January for a week :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

you lucky thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Luxie

No family left in Ireland (most dead, what's left dead to me) so will happily spend it alone.

Between my bed and the food

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

SMJSF wrote: »
    Down the bog-ar*e of nowhere down the country on Xmas eve.... going to be extremely bored by about 12pm Xmas day!

Is that bog-ar*e of nowhere called home before you went to college joined a society full of people who like you know have travelled and totally seen the world?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 Green Fish

I hate airports around Christmas. Bad memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

So where are you travelling to for the festive period

I'll be going from A to B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Im driving back to Ireland from the UK tomorrow, leaving in a few hrs. Off until janurary now :) 5 hr drive, 2+hrs ferry then 5 hr drive so not looking forward to that! Unfortunately I've got all the signs of incoming man flu tonight and I can't sleep. Will be the first time in 8 years I've spent xmas or new year in ireland and I've got loads of plans :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I'll be making the pilgrimage back from the exciting world of European finance in Frankfurt to drab and dreary East Galway.

I always initially like my visits home. Hearing how people are doing, letting them know how well I've done. Inevitably though I grow bored of listening to how Frankie Muldoon bought a 12 Ford Mondeo or Theresa Gibbons got an extension on the house and most of the people in my hometown couldn't begin to understand what it is I do. Each year I come back I realise how little I have in common with small-town Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I'll be making the pilgrimage back from the exciting world of European finance in Frankfurt to drab and dreary East Galway.

I always initially like my visits home. Hearing how people are doing, letting them know how well I've done. Inevitably though I grow bored of listening to how Frankie Muldoon bought a 12 Ford Mondeo or Theresa Gibbons got an extension on the house and most of the people in my hometown couldn't begin to understand what it is I do. Each year I come back I realise how little I have in common with small-town Ireland.

Indeed. I feel the same :rolleyes: Plebs eh?
    What can one do?

Aongus, stay away from the Clare folk, loads of snobby bastards down that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Auldloon wrote: »
    Im driving back to Ireland from the UK tomorrow, leaving in a few hrs. Off until janurary now :) 5 hr drive, 2+hrs ferry then 5 hr drive so not looking forward to that! Unfortunately I've got all the signs of incoming man flu tonight and I can't sleep. Will be the first time in 8 years I've spent xmas or new year in ireland and I've got loads of plans :)

You'll be bored within 48 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Travelling from Donegal to kildare, such a boring 4 hour car drive ... But at least I dont have to get a plane!

• Advertisement

Aongus, stay away from the Clare folk, loads of snobby bastards down that way.

Stalker Donegal man :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

So....you live in Germany then?
    And finance is your career?

You should have mentioned it sooner as we may have not known about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Flying back to the US to see friends and family in 4 different cities. Used to live in the US, but haven't been back (for a hollier) in nearly two years. Am very excited about seeing my friends and especially, my sister and her two kids. But am also bricking it that the weather will throw a spanner in the works somehow.

Smidge wrote: »
    So....you live in Germany then?
    And finance is your career?

Isn't he a pet :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

They must so look forward to your visits though. It must be so fascinating for them to get a glimpse of how the other half live. A chink of hope in their otherwise dull and pointless existence.

Chucken wrote: »
    Isn't he a pet :D

I definitely cherish the updates from where the grass is greener.
    I find it keeps me in my place :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Yokosuka, Kanagawa, to spend time with my wife's family.

osarusan wrote: »
    Yokosuka, Kanagawa, to spend time with my wife's family.

How is Xmas celebrated there?(if you dont mind me asking :))
    I am imagining that sprouts and baked ham are amiss :-) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Smidge wrote: »
    How is Xmas celebrated there?(if you dont mind me asking :))
    I am imagining that sprouts and baked ham are amiss :-) )

It's not all that widely celebrated, although department stores and the like will have lots of decorations and push people to buy presents.

It's celebrated mostly by families with kids - they might have a Christmas tree and some presents. There's no religious aspect to it for the vast majority of people obviously, and many people don't celebrate it at all. New Year's Day is just after, and that's the biggest holiday of the year here.

Somehow, KFC have made their food synonymous with Christmas here, and there are long queues of people waiting to buy buckets of chicken to take home for dinner on Christmas Day.

Lots of western-style pubs will do Christmas dinners for expats who want to get the food they know and love, so I guess they're busy in the evenings (it's a workday). I've never been though.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭rubin_spitfire

Family will be visiting from Lichtenstein for two weeks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement