Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The problem with motivational youtube videos!

Options
  • 16-08-2018 12:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭

A genuine motivation video shouldn't need that dreamy seductive music as it's backing. If it's that music that is 80% of what the viewer is getting their inspiration from, then what does that say? This is why the viewer is suddenly motivated to take action with their life, as well as being surprised at how they had been doing so little all along. The viewer's only explanation for why they had been doing so little with their life, being "I can't believe I've been so stupid and lazy - I'm such an idiot".

I never watch such videos myself, but I used to have a friend, who was a bit of an idiot and who hadn't gotten very far in life, who used to post such motivational videos on facebook. He made me watch one once and it was every bit as stupid as I'd thought. I took pleasure in making him explain to me word for word, why it was a good video. I then ridiculed his attempts as he failed to explain. I then made him feel like a fool, as I pointed out how his life's choices in fact contradicted the advice given in the video anyway! He'd never have en the connection between his behaviors and the video's advice if it wasn't for me. Made me see how people don't always want to learn, they just want to stimulate their emotions or act like experts.

You see it's one thing to be thought of as the guy who hasn't gotten far, but if you post motivational videos on facebook, then what you're effectively saying is "I'm ambitious but I haven't gotten far". So you look like a bigger fool. With these videos, I think people oftendon't realise that they haven't actually learned anything from such videos that they'd be able to put into words. So the next morning when they're in a different frame of mind, they are none the wiser, and the same habits manifest. Then they feel like idiots when they think back to the notions that they had in their heads the day before.

I think the motto here, is that the cycle repeats! If such a person continues on being lazy and stupid for another couple of weeks, until they watch a movie or another motivational video, they will thn come to the same conclusion... which is "oh, I can't believe I've been so lazy all along - I'm such an idiot". The thing is you're not as big an idiot as what you think, or for the reasons that you think.

The biggest problem with saying "oh, I can't believe I've been so lazy all along - I'm such an idiot", is that they're nothing to be learned from saying that. There are many nuanced explanations for why we lack will power, or why we get distracted on a daily basis, and such problems cannot be solved clicking a title like "this video will change your life"!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

TLDR version?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

TLDR version?

Might be on his facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

TLDR version?

I'm not motivated to read that.

maybe the OP can recommend a video.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Yeah, there was no reason I was believing you wrote that crap yourself, so I googled it. Here's the original link, you're no better than anyone watching those videos.

https://www.hipforums.com/forum/threads/the-thing-about-motivational-videos-on-youtube.487272/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I don't like these motivational ****e videos ... But I like this one cos it has Arnie

https://youtu.be/oVb5TPL5KuQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

More tripe in here than a butchers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,403 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Trying to make yourself appear interesting by ripping off content from The Hip Forum

Surely that's an oxymoron

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

The problem with motivational videos, is you have to be motivated to watch them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭NOVA MCMXCIV

I used to have a friend, who was a bit of an idiot and who hadn't gotten very far in life, who used to post such motivational videos on facebook. He made me watch one once and it was every bit as stupid as I'd thought. I took pleasure in making him explain to me word for word, why it was a good video. I then ridiculed his attempts as he failed to explain. I then made him feel like a fool, as I pointed out how his life's choices in fact contradicted the advice given in the video anyway!!
    Why is he not your friend anymore? I can't understand. Don't worry about it buddy – friends come and go, you'll be ok...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,421 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

A genuine motivation video shouldn't need that dreamy seductive music as it's backing. If it's that music that is 80% of what the viewer is getting their inspiration from, then what does that say? This is why the viewer is suddenly motivated to take action with their life, as well as being surprised at how they had been doing so little all along. The viewer's only explanation for why they had been doing so little with their life, being "I can't believe I've been so stupid and lazy - I'm such an idiot".

I never watch such videos myself, but I used to have a friend, who was a bit of an idiot and who hadn't gotten very far in life, who used to post such motivational videos on facebook. He made me watch one once and it was every bit as stupid as I'd thought. I took pleasure in making him explain to me word for word, why it was a good video. I then ridiculed his attempts as he failed to explain. I then made him feel like a fool, as I pointed out how his life's choices in fact contradicted the advice given in the video anyway! He'd never have en the connection between his behaviors and the video's advice if it wasn't for me. Made me see how people don't always want to learn, they just want to stimulate their emotions or act like experts.

You see it's one thing to be thought of as the guy who hasn't gotten far, but if you post motivational videos on facebook, then what you're effectively saying is "I'm ambitious but I haven't gotten far". So you look like a bigger fool. With these videos, I think people oftendon't realise that they haven't actually learned anything from such videos that they'd be able to put into words. So the next morning when they're in a different frame of mind, they are none the wiser, and the same habits manifest. Then they feel like idiots when they think back to the notions that they had in their heads the day before.

I think the motto here, is that the cycle repeats! If such a person continues on being lazy and stupid for another couple of weeks, until they watch a movie or another motivational video, they will thn come to the same conclusion... which is "oh, I can't believe I've been so lazy all along - I'm such an idiot". The thing is you're not as big an idiot as what you think, or for the reasons that you think.

The biggest problem with saying "oh, I can't believe I've been so lazy all along - I'm such an idiot", is that they're nothing to be learned from saying that. There are many nuanced explanations for why we lack will power, or why we get distracted on a daily basis, and such problems cannot be solved clicking a title like "this video will change your life"!

You sound like such a nice person :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Motivation comes from within.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There is only one motivational video the world needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

If you notice the Op's notice, you will notice that that notice is not worth noticing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

What would Shia leBeouf* say?

*eh does his second name mean 'of the beef'?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't watch youtube videos. I don't get it. You can consume the information in a fraction of the time via text, I don't need some prick's ugly face trying to make jokes, stumble over his words and talk too slowly.

Unless the video is being done by Dave Fanning, then the person will talk too slowly. Give me a transcript over a video, every day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I've summoned up the motivation to add another to my ignore list. Toodles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

d9aeac0fbef51f5ad8ba0bb9d6b1e1d8.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Resverathrole

Dj Stiggie wrote: »
    Yeah, there was no reason I was believing you wrote that crap yourself, so I googled it. Here's the original link, you're no better than anyone watching those videos.

https://www.hipforums.com/forum/threads/the-thing-about-motivational-videos-on-youtube.487272/
    You do realise that's another account of mine?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Resverathrole

You sound like such a nice person :rolleyes:
    Cruel to be kind, in the right measure.

Advertisement