Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

7 year old youtube video may be linked with missing girl

• 11-10-2016 8:53pm
    Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So this is pretty creepy.

A 7 year old youtube video has recently come to prominence because it is believed a girl featured in it may be Kayla Berg, who went missing 2 months before the video was uploaded.

The video is entitled “Hi Walter! I got a new gf today! Hi Walter! Its me Patrick!” and features a man talking to the camera about how me met a girl that day. It then cuts to him opening a bathroom door and a girl can be seen tied up and calling for help. Who Walter or Patrick are is not sure.

Some are claiming it's faked but police are investigating. The original video has been deleted from youtube but copy is in the below link. It's disturbing, but nothing graphic.

http://heavy.com/news/2016/10/kayla-berg-video-found-patrick-walter-missing-antigo-you-tube-watch-graphic-teenager-wisconsin-police-facebook/

What do you reckon AH? Fake or real?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

I would prefer to say its fake, it has that feel to it - kinda like he was in a character mode and the camera angle tilt was a bit odd, like someones A level project in motion graphics. Made to look like "found footage" when its not.

However sometimes reality can look fake in a "cinema mode".

Edit:
    On the reddit link in the article it shows a screenshot of that girls "missing" Facebook page were some idiot posted it - the mother responded saying it was a fake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Why the f*ck did YouTube delete it? Unless they kept all of the metadata as well as all of the account information of the uploader, that's going to make it a whole lot harder to find the person who posted it.

Also: How exactly did this not get investigated back in '09 when it first got posted?

If this really is her, the fact that she disappeared so long ago and hasn't been seen or heard from since would imply that the cameraman is a murderer. I can't imagine this story having a happy ending :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

GLaDOS wrote:
    What do you reckon AH? Fake or real?

I'd have no interest in watching it either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Fake

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Skyfarm

whatever the truth is ,to even suggest that it might be or could be connected to the pain of the family who is living with the fallout of this missing child is pretty sick

it needs a special type of person which the internet has given birth too. normally these people are born around 15/16 and live in dark rooms with no morals or values.

• Advertisement

Why the f*ck did YouTube delete it?

YouTube, meaning Google Inc, dont delete anything. They just stop letting people like you and me watch it. Upload details, User agent, IP address time zone etc etc will all have been recorded.

YouTube, meaning Google Inc, dont delete anything. They just stop letting people like you and me watch it. Upload details, User agent, IP address time zone etc etc will all have been recorded.

I know that's the case when a user deletes their own content, but I'm not sure if it still works that way when an account gets deleted for a terms of use violation. Although it would make sense what you're saying, given that many terms of use violations involve copyright infringement wherein Google are probably obliged by law to keep the details for DMCA purposes, to hand over to the authorities if the same person keeps offending.

Regardless, there's another issue - most data retention regimes only require ISPs to keep a record of who uses which IP for up to two years, so it may well be impossible to link the IP address of the uploader to a specific house.

Again... How in f*ck did this not raise alarm bells six years ago when it was first uploaded?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

It looks like he's acting. Having read the circumstances of her disappearance, I'd be amazed if her friend that "dropped her off" wasn't behind it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

if this is fake, which i believe it to be, those involved should be ashamed of themselves. losing a child in this manner must be a devastating experience in which a parent would never recover from. shameful behaviour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Ah well, back to cat fail videos.

• Advertisement

She was pretty convincing, he was not. I'm not believing this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

The bit with the guy was just weird..I don't know what to make of it. The girl was convincing, but why would she shout help when her presumed captor walks into the room, she hardly knew a camera was pointed at her. Fake I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Why the f*ck did YouTube delete it? Unless they kept all of the metadata as well as all of the account information of the uploader, that's going to make it a whole lot harder to find the person who posted it.

Also: How exactly did this not get investigated back in '09 when it first got posted?

If this really is her, the fact that she disappeared so long ago and hasn't been seen or heard from since would imply that the cameraman is a murderer. I can't imagine this story having a happy ending :(

Patrick.....????:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I hate videos like these where you don't know if they're fake or not. The people involved should be questioned by police regardless, maybe given some form of punishment. Making videos like these is a disservice to people who have actually have been in situations like this and may or may not have survived. I mean it was serious enough to get people wondering if the girl in the bathroom was someone who actually disappeared and nobody knows what happened to her. Then again, maybe it could have been the same girl. That's why they're so messed up.

Patrick.....????:eek:

Me right one.....????? *looks down* Phew :D
    I know YouTube maintains the metadata of videos deleted by users, but I'm unaware of whether they do so if they actually nuke the entire user account along with all its videos.

What I'd be more concerned about here are data retention rules. These normally only last for two years and as the vast majority of internet users "borrow" their IP from their ISP every time they switch on their routers, it may well be impossible by now to ascertain who was using that particular IP address on the particular day that the video was uploaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭The Legend Of Kira

Its a very odd coincidence the original youtube video upload in 2009 was two months after the teenage girls disappearance, a bit too much of a coincidence I think .

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Pa994

Not even going to watch... Somethings better left untold... Surprised this is a mod post even though it's after hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

he hams it so much i'd definitely say fake BUT.. why haven't they found him yet? this went pretty viral, surely someone would have recognised him or cops found him. the cops went to his house monday night but he wasn't there. we'll find out in the next few days. 80% fake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

511 wrote: »

Think? How would you not know your own daughter/sisters voice and face for almost certain

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

That video is really chilling all the same. F**ked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

It is a confirmed fake now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Ted111 wrote: »
    It is a confirmed fake now.

Thank Christ. The camera work and his hamming it up did make me think it was probably fake, but she was very convincing. Given the other info around it, I saw it just before going to sleep last night and had it lingering in my mind and this morning too.

They certainly should have been questioned etc but I don't think they deserve a fine or anything, could have been something random like a rough cut of an amateur/student film or what have you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Could this have been a deliberate ploy to get this girl's name back into the public consciousness?

Losing someone and never finding out what happened to them, must be one of the toughest things to live through...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

From the article in the OP.
    It took them about a day to unravel the fact that it was an acting skit.

What a bloody strange video to make. Weirdos.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭VladamirP

Proven faked?

Her brother goes on to say "If your wanting my opinion let’s just say this...we’ve contacted the FBI because our local PD doesn't have the experience needed for this.

"Hope that answers your questions. Now please stop blowing up my phone. (sic)"

So the local police department says it's fake but the missing girls brother thinks it's her in the video, and has contacted the FBI, is there anymore after this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Advertisement