Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The cinema

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭SteM

Look, you just didnt get the memo that explains that allocated seating in cinema is, and is to be, observed by NO ONE. Its a nonsense, a real pain in the ass, and everybody ignores it.
    Now you know though. So no further problems.

A pain in the ass for who? The people that don't bother booking? **** 'em! I don't ignore it and I guarantee anybody sitting in a seat I booked won't ignore either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I go the cinema 3-4 times a week and rarely experience the issues you guys are describing here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

There is a very straight forward solution here... just build your own private cinema! :D

That'll keep the vagrants and delinquents out, and you can enjoy the picture show in peace. (you're welcome) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

lawlolawl wrote: »
    The cinema is awful.

"Gee, I really want to see this movie so i guess i'll go into a room with a bunch of strangers who may or may not have any interest in it and who will act accordingly."

/strangers inevitably act like dickheads for the entire runtime

"WHY YOU...........!"

Pirate things or wait until they come out on Netflix/DVD/Bluray/Wax Cylinder so that you can enjoy them properly.

You could literally make the same argument for any other social activity outside your house.........

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Change cinema's, I never experience any of the issues you described.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I go the cinema 3-4 times a week and rarely experience the issues you guys are describing here.

really? never experienced any of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Weres the staff in these places ?

jester77 wrote: »
    Change cinema's, I never experience any of the issues you described.

What cinema do you go to? The only ones in the city centre that I haven't had issues in are the savoy & the lighthouse. Oh, and the one down at the Point but that's because it's always empty whenever I've been there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Just home from the cinema now and a woman in front was checking her phone every 10 mins (the brightness makes you notice in a dark room) while the girls/women behind repeated nearly everything that the actor on screen just said.

Not to be too critical but people can be ar$eholes without even trying.

lawlolawl wrote: »
    The cinema is awful.

"Gee, I really want to see this movie so i guess i'll go into a room with a bunch of strangers who may or may not have any interest in it and who will act accordingly."

/strangers inevitably act like dickheads for the entire runtime

"WHY YOU...........!"

Pirate things or wait until they come out on Netflix/DVD/Bluray/Wax Cylinder so that you can enjoy them properly.

If they don't have any interest in the movie why are they there ffs? Just go to the pub if you want to spend the evening moaning about Claire from accounts or whatever. Don't do it in a cinema.

BTW, I've only ever downloaded one 'cam' pirate movie and it had people talking in the background and others getting up to go to the bog constantly. These twats even ruin pirate copies of movies!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

SteM wrote: »
    What cinema do you go to? The only ones in the city centre that I haven't had issues in are the savoy & the lighthouse. Oh, and the one down at the Point but that's because it's always empty whenever I've been there.

Savoy can be hit and miss I find. Poor attendance in Screen 1 seems to make people think they're free to carry on as if they're in their own sitting room. The constant stream of staff up and down the aisles at the side is also unbelievably annoying.

Nothing is as bad as Cineworld though. Its like some sort of mecca for antisocial behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nothing is as bad as Cineworld though. Its like some sort of mecca for antisocial behaviour.

Look at the address, twas always gonna be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

What cinema do you go to?

Just home from the cinema now and a woman in front was checking her phone every 10 mins (the brightness makes you notice in a dark room) while the girls/women behind repeated nearly everything that the actor on screen just said.

Not to be too critical but people can be ar$eholes without even trying.

I was in Dundrum cinema one time and in the middle of a movie a girl in front of us took out her mobile and took a selfie of her and her fella who had fallen asleep. People should be made give up their phones when they go into a cinema.

Savoy can be hit and miss I find. Poor attendance in Screen 1 seems to make people think they're free to carry on as if they're in their own sitting room. The constant stream of staff up and down the aisles at the side is also unbelievably annoying.

I think part of the problem in cineworld is that a lot of people go with those passes. A lot of people just seem to be there so they can get some use out of the pass they bought, they don't actually want to see the film they're at.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

SteM wrote: »

Savoy in Hamburg. There's no talking, playing with phones or feet on seats, although you'd want to be 8 foot to reach the seat in front. You get the occasional loud eater, that's the only annoyance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

You could literally make the same argument for any other social activity outside your house.........

I know, right?

**** leaving the house for anything other than what is absolutely necessary. Other people can go die in a fire.

Are hermits still a thing? I want to be one of them when i grow up...... except with a good internet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

What cinema do you go to?

Cineworld.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

The secret to good cinema experiences is just going off peak. Stay well away from them Friday to Sunday. Early or midweek showings are usually only peopled by those with an interest in the film and or lone weirdos, all of whom shut the hell up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Could write a book about the obnoxious arsehats I've encountered over the years. Seen a guy once get fcuked out of Savoy One for arguing with the characters on the screen. My pet peeve in the 80's / early 90's was the smoking. Now it's phones.

People kicking the back of seats is infuriating though. Most recently I shouted (in a hushed whisper) at a guy and motioned at his legs he had hanging over the seat a few seats down and he immediately removed them and said sorry. I genuinely think some people live in a world of their own and fcuking oblivious to how they are disturbing others. The rest are just devil spawn.

The reserved seat thing can be annoying for damn sure but anytime I have ever went into a screen and someone was in my seat, they have always moved when I was polite and just showed them my ticket. See a few rows over seats but it's usually when the real seat reservers have turned up ten to fifteen minutes into a film and started moaning cause someone took their seats. In which case I think tough shit. If I was late (ten mins or more) for a a film there is no way I would ask someone who took my seat to move.

Oh and fcuk buying cinema food. Bring your own munchies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,363 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I love going to the cinema. Depending on what's out I can go multiple times a week, sometimes even more than once a day. I'll go to see things that I fully anticipate to be not great, just because I love going to the cinema so much. Sorry to hear about the issue with the reserved seating for the OP, but I haven't sat in a screening that hasn't been completely free seating for well over a decade.

I wouldn't write it off as an experience on the whole just because you had one bad experience. You can always be just unlucky. I find 90% of cinema audiences are well behaved and know to stay quiet and not be inconsiderate dicks to the people around them. Although, as some posters have pointed out, you can potentially have a more easy time of it if you go at off-peak times - early in the day, late at night, or two or three weeks into a film's run. And, of course, some cinemas can tend to have a different type of crowd to others. But, I honestly can't say I've had a movie-going experience truly ruined for me in years due to people being idiots in the audience, and I'm pretty sensitive generally about the noise of people talking and munching.

The price of food is scandalous, no dispute there, but hasn't it always been this way? Personally, I don't always get food; I don't feel the need to eat a box of popcorn as big as my torso every single time. But I know that can be hard for a lot of people - munching on rubbish is an integral part of the experience for most.

I'll always defend the practice of seeing things on the big screen. In recent years I hear more and more from people how, despite how they love films, they don't go to the cinema anymore. Fair enough, but I do feel sorry for them. It's the only truly proper way to experience a film sometimes, hell, I'd even say all the time. Even so-so movies are improved and made more immersive by seeing them on a big-screen, with crisp picture and sound. And some films demand to be seen that way. Last years Mad Max, or Gravity are two examples of recent movies that just don't have the same impact if you watch them at home, no matter how good your set-up is. And, while I don't always absolutely love sitting in a jam packed screen, I do love that feeling of a communal watching experience that can come over a crowd when you're all sitting there in the dark, completely rapt in an absorbing film.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

In our local cinema 2 tickets for a tenner with 3. Large popcorn 2 medium drinks and a bag of sweets, 11.50

We go at least once a week and it's always enjoyable.
    It's probably just me but i can't make sense of this.... 3 what??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭davetherave

Degag wrote: »
    It's probably just me but i can't make sense of this.... 3 what??!!

3 the phone network? 3plus or 3rewards or whatever they are calling it now. One of the rewards is on cinema tickets in IMC and Odeons

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

Something similar happened to me a few weeks ago and when I asked them to move they said "is it not just sit anywhere"? So I said nope, I booked these online and they begrudgingly moved. I also have a particular area that I sit in so I'd have gone out and got a member of staff if they refused to move. You bought them online in advance fair and square, no point putting up with it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I find its best to try to go to the cinema early or mid week - that way you avoid the ignorant asshats that can congregate there at the weekends.

I have to add that I'm not a big cinema goer though. I generally prefer a film to come out on DVD or online unless its something I really want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

An auditorium bejasus.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I go to the cinema sporadically but very rarely get the problems listed here by some with the exception of the odd twat using their phone. Typically a loud "Will ya cop on" sorts that out. If someone refused to move from a seat I had allocated I would go outside and get a member of staff to move them.

Same thing if someone dared to slap their legs up on my headrest they would be told in no uncertain terms to move them.

Finally you don't mention OP if you actually complained to the cinema about your experience. There is no point coming onto the internet and complaining to strangers about the poor service you received. You need to take it up at source with the people who matter and if they don't take what you are saying seriously and they are part of a much larger operation complain to head office. For all we know they could think they are doing a slap up job because no one has complained.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Reading this thread has reminded me of various instances of bad cinema behaviour and now I'm so mad ill be unable to sleep.

Last year I went to see Macbeth in Wood Green Cineworld and figured that because it was a Shakespeare production it wouldn't be full of yobs. Some lad with his missus was sitting in front and kept talking in a loud voice and my one was nudging at me to tell him to shut the f*ck up. I hate public confrontation so was praying he would be quiet. He kept waffling on so I was just about to tell him be quiet, took a deep breath and just as I opened my mouth some other lad in the aisle over just roared "SHUT UP MATE. F*CK'S SAKE".

The other lad roared "PRICK" back at him and all of a sudden the two of them flew at each other and started punching the c*nt out of each other and rolling on the floor while their respective girlfriends were screaming. By this stage the lights came on and the staff literally had to prise these lads apart kicking and spitting at each other.

Absolute insanity. On the way out to get a refund I then witnessed a young lad pouring fizzy orange over one of the arcade games.

Honestly f*ck London some times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

scdublin wrote: »
    Something similar happened to me a few weeks ago and when I asked them to move they said "is it not just sit anywhere"? So I said nope, I booked these online and they begrudgingly moved. I also have a particular area that I sit in so I'd have gone out and got a member of staff if they refused to move. You bought them online in advance fair and square, no point putting up with it.
    The thing I don't get is that anywhere that you can book a seat will always ask where you want to sit when you're buying the ticket (front, middle or back) so people have to know that there's assigned seating they're just being dicks. I went to a film recently where a couple were sitting in someone else's seats. When the real seat owners arrived they had to move. Instead of moving to their actual seats they sat in other assigned seats. They had to move 3 times in the end.

We were talking about cinema etiquette one day in work and one of the girls told us she takes her shoes off in the cinema so she can put her feet up on the seat in front. And genuinely seemed shocked that we thought this was wrong. "But sure I'm seeing a film I'm going to get comfortable." So some people don't give a **** as long as they're ok

• Advertisement
Advertisement