Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Want back to Syria....Limerick's too violent

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,493 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Jesus. wrote: »
    Just read this story in today's Star. First paragraph reads:

"A family who fled war-torn Syria for a new life in Limerick expressed a desire to return to their homeland after spending just 13 days in the city - because they believed it was too violent, a court has heard."

Cheerio!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭Tefral

The serious crime stats for limerick are sitting on the floor at the moment compared to other places.

if you don't believe me i've attached the latest up to date crime stats. (I even put in bar charts)

More people were convicted of rape / sexual assault in Donegal, roscommon, longford, kildare, Dublin, Tipperary, Cork. etc. And practically all the other counties are within a margin of 5 convictions with the exception of clare, westmeath and sligo.

If your just looking at murder, attempted murder, manslaughter, then limerick has ZERO yes ZERO. Dublin has six, cork has 2, laois has 1. Someone has even been convicted of attempted murder in Cavan! Limerick = zero.

More people have been convicted of threatening to kill someone in Donegal than limerick for crying out loud.

Even just assault causing harm, 13 other garda regions are ahead of Limerick in terms of recorded crimes, nine other counties are within a margin of 10 in Limerick. For the 3rd largest city in Ireland, we are the safest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Tefral wrote: »
    The serious crime stats for limerick are sitting on the floor at the moment compared to other places.

if you don't believe me i've attached the latest up to date crime stats. (I even put in bar charts)

More people were convicted of rape / sexual assault in Donegal, roscommon, longford, kildare, Dublin, Tipperary, Cork. etc. And practically all the other counties are within a margin of 5 convictions with the exception of clare, westmeath and sligo.

If your just looking at murder, attempted murder, manslaughter, then limerick has ZERO yes ZERO. Dublin has six, cork has 2, laois has 1. Someone has even been convicted of attempted murder in Cavan! Limerick = zero.

More people have been convicted of threatening to kill someone in Donegal than limerick for crying out loud.

Even just assault causing harm, 13 other garda regions are ahead of Limerick in terms of recorded crimes, nine other counties are within a margin of 10 in Limerick. For the 3rd largest city in Ireland, we are the safest.

Either that or people are afraid to go to the police in Limerick because they'll be "a rah!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭The Wolverine

Limerick is a grand spot the problem as usual is scumbags not being locked up and being back on the street before the arresting Garda has even got back to the station after testifying in court

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Syria is big country too. It would be interesting to see where exactly they are from, maybe the area has escaped most of the war and they are more economic migrants than genuine refugees.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I think you'll find its Dublin where people are being regularly murdered.
    J Mysterio wrote: »
    Twat. Ignorance my friend. You havent a clue.

I didn't think people would take a joke so seriously. Fukking hell lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The victim was 16, chased, and beaten unconscious. He was traumatised and still has head pains.

I can understand why this made the news. I'm not really getting the funny side though.

Nothing funny about it at all.

Mind you there is less information available about other victims of this geezer..

http://www.thejournal.ie/limerick-attack-2-3016007-Oct2016/
    On 7 December he was granted bail at the High Court, Dublin, however three days later he committed another unprovoked savage assault on a 24-year old man in Debenhams, O’Connell Street, Limerick.

The man had to undergo reconstructive surgery and have a metal plate inserted in his cheek. Gardai arrested the defendant an hour after the attack and later charged him with assault.

The level of savagery appears the same...and facilitated by a High Court already in full possession of the facts......:mad:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Limerick is a fine city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

I grew up in Limerick and live in Dublin and I've had far more hassle in Dublin than Limerick.

Limerick was dodgy about 10-15 years ago but it's much much much nicer and safer now.

But alas, we will still get the odd few clowns speaking ill of the place when they've never been there or say they were in a spot of bother there (probably because they went around spouting their ill informed opinions.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Like I said in my first post...adios...we deal with these scum all the time if they can't deal with it then fcuk off...this **** happens here we all deal with it and it's a damn sight better than the middle east.

You's sound like lovely people down there in Limerick can't wonder what the family found so bad about you nice folk, it can't be the racism it's too charming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Tefral wrote: »

Ah here, don't you know that After Hours is not the place to be posting anything factual like that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I went to Limerick during the year for an interview and was happy I didn't get the job. I was fearful of my car being burnt out, more than facing a parking fine. Thank feck for the motorway to Gort, as I couldn't get out of the place quick enough.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

On another point, you know it's bad when there's signage in place to remind residents to not take their horses out onto the motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    I went to Limerick during the year for an interview and was happy I didn't get the job. I was fearful of my car being burnt out, more than facing a parking fine. Thank feck for the motorway to Gort, as I couldn't get out of the place quick enough.

Ah now, was it really that bad?

I know I'm biased having lived in the city since 2001 but having drove around all the interesting places like Hyde Road and Moyross I genuinely never really felt that I was in danger like that, unless you parked up in a real dodgy spot altogether.

But I guess it depends where you are from and what you are used to. For me, around the main train station in Naples is well dodgy but others might think it's fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Are the schools off today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Lads ye are no craic at all. My feelings are starting to get hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

I moved to Limerick in 07 and havn't had a bit of trouble. Just the regular **** you get everywhere else. Walking to Burger King after Smyths/Icon you will see a scuffle or two but thats just drunken eejits.

Great city. Moved from Dublin btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Iv lived in Limerick city and county for 42 years. To listen to some people it must be a miracle I'm still alive. Limerick is the same as any other city if you have a bit of common sense you'll be fine.

Advertisement