Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BJ's Walrus

Options
  • 21-08-2020 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭

giphy.gif
    What Is Walrus?

Walrus is a game wherein you select music, & other people judge your music. The standard Walrus usually has 1 host who selects all the categories and a bunch of people submit songs (1 per category) and the host judges all the songs in each category which here will be me.

Why Am I Doing This?

I love finding new tunes. This is a great way to extend my musical taste and broaden my horizons. Plus I get a power trip out of ranking the musical tastes of others.

What Kind of Music Am I Into?

Anything really (except Irish Trad Ballets mixed with any techno or house beat). I believe most music has a place in the world.

Categories

1. New School is Cool - I am looking for songs released in the last 5 years. Any song from 2015 to 2020 is eligible.

2. Visual Treats - I am looking for songs that you believe were made better by their awesome music video. So give me a song that you believe was improved upon by its accompanied video.

3. Money Money Money - Here I want a song with some form of money or word related to money in the title.

4. Boys 4 Now! - Songs by boy bands are 100 percent a (not so) guilty pleasure of mine. So give me your best song by a boyband. But be careful, I dont like ALL boybands.

5. Upgrade - So here I want a cover, in which your opinion improves on the original. So any covers are eligible here, but beware ..... make a choice that you think is better than the real thing.

6. Animal Instincts - Here I want a song which contains the name of an animal in its title, not a band .... (bye bye Def Leopard), so once your songs title contains an animal, you're quid's in.

7. Riff Raff - I love a song with a killer guitar riff, so once your song has what you believe to be an awesome riff, hit me up!

8. Best Song Ever - Simply give me a song that you rate really really really highly. Go!

Lets set a deadline of Monday 7th of Sept, with a reveal a week later.

I hope you will play along and submit your choices and if you need any clarity please ask away, enjoy
    giphy.gif

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Cool looking categories beaker, I'll have my entries to you over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Whats wrong with Girl Bands? Are we to exclusively use the male gender variety?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Some very interesting categories indeed.

Will have an entry into you before the weekend is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

fixXxer wrote: »

Yes, its male exculsive. No Girls Aloud.

There's nothing wrong with having a category that is just Boybands, it doesn't mean anything at all.

Trying to make an issue where there is none, serves no purpose and just comes across as sh*t-stirring.

• Advertisement

There's nothing wrong with having a category that is just Boybands, it doesn't mean anything at all.

Trying to make an issue where there is none, serves no purpose and just comes across as sh*t-stirring.

I dint think fixxxer was making an issue, just enquiring.

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Yes, its male exculsive. No Girls Aloud.

You mean it's only a boys' zone?

I dint think fixxxer was making an issue, just enquiring.
    giphy.gif

Fair enough. No offence was meant fixXxer, sorry about that. Been one of those weeks.

giphy.gif

Enjoy yourselves..... be merry....

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

Fair enough. No offence was meant fixXxer, sorry about that. Been one of those weeks.

I hear ya on that.

FcDc4.gif

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Does Queen qualify as a boyband or are we talking take that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Kolido wrote: »
    Why do they call them bands? Most of em can't play an instrument.
    Girl-group is an accurate description at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

quickbeam wrote: »
    You mean it's only a boys' zone?

giphy.gif

Very good categories and some with very wide scope.
    The one with the videoclips was also in my list for a future walrus :)
    In obviously, I will send my selections probably tomorrow

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Why do they call them bands? Most of em can't play an instrument.
    Girl-group is an accurate description at least.

Alliteration ftw!

Kolido wrote: »

They are men not boys.

Boy bands, usually a band made up of 1 or 2 singers , some back up singers and dancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Boy bands, usually a band made up of 1 or 2 singers , some back up singers and dancers.
    I hear ya...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

S01E05-RIfEu2nh.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Right. Entered. Just went with the usual tactic of the first thing that came into my head :D

• Advertisement

and selections sent!!
    I have to say that my normal approach to suggest less known songs for the element of discovery didn't work very well in this one, some of the categories were really asking for obvious selections.

Great categories beakerjoe, fair play for going for 8 categories, I thought 7 was really a lot of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

2 is a very good interesting category

2. Visual Treats - I am looking for songs that you believe were made better by their awesome music video. So give me a song that you believe was improved upon by its accompanied video.

So, should we be aiming for an average-ish song with a great video here? As opposed to a brilliant song that also has a great video? On the basis that the video uplifts the average song more than the song that would still be brilliant without the video?

Or will you simply judge the quality of the video regardless of how good/bad the song is?

Yes I know I'm overthinking this but Walrus is serious business! :p

So, should we be aiming for an average-ish song with a great video here? As opposed to a brilliant song that also has a great video? On the basis that the video uplifts the average song more than the song that would still be brilliant without the video?

Or will you simply judge the quality of the video regardless of how good/bad the song is?

Yes, I was thinking the same.
    As I mentioned I had it as an idea too for a future Walrus. The way I thought about it was judge songs and videos separately (say, out of 10) give an average mark and rank that way.

In any case, I obviously think that my selection is both an awesome song and an awesome video!! :D

...and submitted!

That was a fun one.

Well it can be a song that is improved on by the video. Both will be judged but mainly how the video improves the song in your opinion.

So you can have a 8 outta 10 song thats now a 9 or 10....or 11 based on hiw well the video compliments it.

DONE

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

DONE

ME TOO

• Registered Users Posts: 30,340 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Will try to get an entry in during the week or even next weekend as I will have a fairly hectic week ahead.

• Advertisement

11 folk so far signed up.

Lots of good tracks, but most of all lots of new ones.

Advertisement