Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

Hi Connewitz, yes I'm still hanging in there. It is funny about the weight thing. Right after I quit I started to "blossom". I "blossomed" right up to 220 lbs. When I saw that on the Drs. scale it was embarrassing. That's when I told myself "this is unexceptable". And yes, I'm still keeping under 2000 calories a day and doing a mile on the treadmill everyday faithfully. (zoning in on the telly helps Pass the 30 minutes) I also use a "sweat belt" around my waist while I'm walking then leave it on for about an hour after my workout. I'm currently at 189 lbs. I started all this on April 27th. I found a calorie counter on line that also shows the nutrional value of everything you eat. I currently reward myself on weekends with something decadent like pizza. ha! ha! That makes the whole thing a little more tolerable.;):D

You and Ranger keep up the great work you're both an inspiration to all of our new non-smoking friends. God Bless!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭connewitz

DonnieL wrote: »
    Hi Connewitz, yes I'm still hanging in there. It is funny about the weight thing. Right after I quit I started to "blossom". I "blossomed" right up to 220 lbs. When I saw that on the Drs. scale it was embarrassing. That's when I told myself "this is unexceptable". And yes, I'm still keeping under 2000 calories a day and doing a mile on the treadmill everyday faithfully. (zoning in on the telly helps Pass the 30 minutes) I also use a "sweat belt" around my waist while I'm walking then leave it on for about an hour after my workout. I'm currently at 189 lbs. I started all this on April 27th. I found a calorie counter on line that also shows the nutrional value of everything you eat. I currently reward myself on weekends with something decadent like pizza. ha! ha! That makes the whole thing a little more tolerable.;):D

You and Ranger keep up the great work you're both an inspiration to all of our new non-smoking friends. God Bless!:)

Hi DonnieL! It is just amazing to read how you do manage everything! You really took it step by step - first you quit smoking and then you started to get rid of the weight. That`s how it should be done.:)
    But being a woman it is much easier said than done. I weigh about 8 stone and I am 5,5 foot tall. So I do like my figure and want to keep it! And this is getting harder and harder in my age.
    Must have a look for this calorie counter on the net. Would you still have the web address for it?
    I have started to run one day for 10 min to warm up, then do 40 min of old fashioned "Callanetics". (This was the hit in the 80`s!) Go for a power walk in the evening with my dog (ca. 40 min).
    Next evening I do 20 min warm up on cross trainer followed by 30 min cardio! I am starting to sweat by writing this!!!:o So I am doing this 6 days a week. Only on Sunday I have a break.
    It is hard work and would be much easier just to start smoking again and eat what I like. But I have the will to stay away! Hate the thought of stinking of cigarettes and being depended on them again. So, hard work it is!:D:rolleyes:
    You take care of yourself and God bless you!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

Hello again, I'm including the link for the calorie counter and nutrition guide. Hope it opens for you. If not just go on line and plug in "calorie Counter" and it should bring up several. GOOD LUCK. ;):D
    http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/account/login.php?accesserror=1&querystring=&ret_page=%2Fcc%2Faccount%2Findex.php
    You will need to sign up but it's free.

DonnieL wrote: »
    Hello again, I'm including the link for the calorie counter and nutrition guide. Hope it opens for you. If not just go on line and plug in "calorie Counter" and it should bring up several. GOOD LUCK. ;):D
    http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/account/login.php?accesserror=1&querystring=&ret_page=%2Fcc%2Faccount%2Findex.php
    You will need to sign up but it's free.

Many thanks for your help. I did visit some of them pages before but it was very confusing and time consuming to go through all the food. So I do hope that yours is a little bit easier to read.
    Take it easy and take care!
    Good luck to you as well!!!:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭simplistic2

Day three off them now! I have mixed feelings , sometimes Im thinking "what next? I can do anything" and other times its " how the hell am I going to last a year without these!"

But already my thoughts are much clearer and less repeditive. I have more energy in conversations and the world is starting to smell amazing!

Ive been smoking for eight years and this time Im going to stop even if it means never touching alcohol either because the two seem to go hand in hand.

But thanks everyone for sharing their stories they are very inspiring:D

oh and has anybody else lost their desire to drink tea and coffee? Ive gone from about 5-7 cups to zero!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 mumzboyz

Hi Simplistic2, really well done on getting this far, just stick with it as it does get easier. Have something else to focus on. I try to go for a walk on the beach every day - its just my little thing. Come tomorrow evening, I will be smoke free 4 weeks. Cannot believe how fast the month has gone and the difference even the first 2 weeks has made to my skin, teeth, etc.

I have always loved my cup of tea but I do not enjoy it as much any more without my ciggie or 2 with it. I'm trying to get into drinking water more, but its just not as nice. I have definately reduced my daily tea intake.

Keep up the good work & before you know it you will have a week down. It may not seem like it at the time, but the time does go very fast.

S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

The coffee thing sounds like a routine rather than losing interest in the drink itself; my OH is entering month three and she still loves her cuppa.

Day three off them now! I have mixed feelings , sometimes Im thinking "what next? I can do anything" and other times its " how the hell am I going to last a year without these!"

Ive been smoking for eight years and this time Im going to stop even if it means never touching alcohol either because the two seem to go hand in hand.

But thanks everyone for sharing their stories they are very inspiring:D

oh and has anybody else lost their desire to drink tea and coffee? Ive gone from about 5-7 cups to zero!

Hi simplistic2!
    If you really want this then you can do it. I had this thoughts as well and now all what I want to do is to stay a non-smoker for the rest of my life!
    There are too many benefits. I don`t even know where to start!
    Alcohol and cigs - okay, I have to admit that it was very tempting at the beginning. But I went to many a party and never failed, so now it does not bother me anymore. Just tell yourself that you are strong and look at the smokers and see what they are - SLAVES OF THIS HABIT AND ADDICTION!!!:eek: You will not go back to this, or?!
    I still love my coffee. Everybody has different reactions.
    So keep going. You are doing great!:D

mumzboyz wrote: »
    Hi Simplistic2, really well done on getting this far, just stick with it as it does get easier. Have something else to focus on. I try to go for a walk on the beach every day - its just my little thing. Come tomorrow evening, I will be smoke free 4 weeks. Cannot believe how fast the month has gone and the difference even the first 2 weeks has made to my skin, teeth, etc.

Hi Mumzboyz!
    4 weeks? Great!!!:D You are going strong!
    The walking thing is good! I do the same. Try to walk really brisk, this keeps the weight off.
    Keep the good work up!:D

Keep up the good work & before you know it you will have a week down. It may not seem like it at the time, but the time does go very fast.

Really thanks for the support!:D The encouragement really helps! Day 4 now and I have only thought about them once. I stopped using the champix today which would be day 7 of the champix because it was really giving me a rough sensation
    in my head and stomach.

So what are you guys spending the extra money on??:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Really thanks for the support!:D The encouragement really helps! Day 4 now and I have only thought about them once. I stopped using the champix today which would be day 7 of the champix because it was really giving me a rough sensation
    in my head and stomach.

Extra Money???? Oh yeah... I DID have extra money in the beginning. No idea where it's gone to now.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 41 mumzboyz

Even if I wanted to go back smoking now, I could'nt afford to - no idea where money is gone:rolleyes::confused:

in my head and stomach.

Hi simplistic2! Please don`t stop the champix suddenly without consulting your GP! There is a high risk to fall back and start smoking again. Ask for help with your side effects! It takes time for the body to get used to champix. It is a mind effecting drug and has side effects! If you stop and think you are now a non-smoker - then you are wrong!
    Try to go at least for 2,5 month and then wean yourself down. But after one week there is no way that you can go the rest on your own. Or do you want to go cold turkey?
    I wish you all the best with what ever you will decide!:)
    My money goes into the credit union for a nice holiday. We could not afford to go on holidays for 6 years in a row!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mollie Breathna

Just strayed onto to this thread and thought I'd stick my oar in.
    I'm 1 year and 11 months off the cigs thanks to Champix. One of the hardest things I ever did but managed to stick with it despite the disturbed sleep, weird dreams and even sleep-walking once with very odd consequences (another story.)
    Can I just say to anyone thinking of doing it or just starting - stick with it. Best decision I ever made. After 30 years of smoking I feel loads better, complexion great, feel fit and I don't stink!! The cravings will come but hey, they only last a few minutes, find a way of distracting yourself 'til they pass.
    Stick with it - it's much better out this side of it.
    (BTW - unless you actually put away the money you save every day - i.e €8.50, or whatever they cost, in a jar, you'll soon not notice any financial difference.)

J
    I'm 1 year and 11 months off the cigs thanks to Champix. One of the hardest things I ever did but managed to stick with it
    Can I just say to anyone thinking of doing it or just starting - stick with it. Best decision I ever made. After 30 years of smoking I feel loads better, complexion great, feel fit and I don't stink!! The cravings will come but hey, they only last a few minutes, find a way of distracting yourself 'til they pass.
    Stick with it - it's much better out this side of it.
    (BTW - unless you actually put away the money you save every day - i.e €8.50, or whatever they cost, in a jar, you'll soon not notice any financial difference.)

Thanks for your post! I do feel the difference in saving money!:) Every Friday I do go to my local Credit Union and put 30 Euro in my account. This is the money I used to buy smokes for. And I do stick to it! I would have used this money for cigs - so I use it for saving! Got nice money together!:D

connewitz wrote: »
    Hi simplistic2! Please don`t stop the champix suddenly without consulting your GP! There is a high risk to fall back and start smoking again. Ask for help with your side effects! It takes time for the body to get used to champix. It is a mind effecting drug and has side effects! If you stop and think you are now a non-smoker - then you are wrong!
    Try to go at least for 2,5 month and then wean yourself down. But after one week there is no way that you can go the rest on your own. Or do you want to go cold turkey?
    I wish you all the best with what ever you will decide!:)
    My money goes into the credit union for a nice holiday. We could not afford to go on holidays for 6 years in a row!

Well after doing some research on the effects of champix I realized I only needed them for the first few days because they are used to cover up the symptoms of withdrawl from the nicotine. Since the stuff leaves your body in 72 hours I thought that using them any longer is just a waste plus Im pretty adverse to taking any kind of tablet in general.

Im still going strong a week in now. I get about 1 craving a day now after dinner and it only lasts about 30 seconds! Who knew it could be so easy. Ive looked at a few other threads and decided to start the couch to 5k to get my lungs back to maximum capacity. Just did the first run/walk and Im starting to feel good already.

A holiday sounds like a great goal.Ive been eying up Costa Rica for a while. Maybe a nice little treat.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jellybean2006

Hi, I began champix nearly 3 weeks ago, off the cigs over a week, found the tablets are helping brilliantly! when i started taking the tablets cigarettes tasted horrible and smoking was more habitual than anything because i just got nothing from a cigarette. i just became 'not bothered' with smoking. sometimes i might want one, then when i'd have it i'd take a few puffs and then put it out because it didn't taste like i thought i would in my head. Still I think i'd love one the odd time, but i know it'll taste rotten. but that longing might only happen once in the day.

I have had side effects, but they're worth it, as long as i can stay off the cigs i'll endure anything! I have had plenty of nights going to bed early with the nausea, but i figured it out that i was taking my evening tablet without eating enough food, or sometimes the same would happen in the morning and when i took the tablet before breakfast rather than after. so i'd recommend people eat a good bit. to really avoid this i've found just taking half a tablet morning and evening has helped me avoid sickness. I've not other symptoms that i'm aware of, sometimes the dreams have been funny, but i can't really say thats the champix either!

Hope i stick at it now! :) what made me decide was that i am building a house and what i spent on cigs a month was more than my half of the mortgage

good luck to everyone else. I'd definately recommend champix, they do help big time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭buttonsflyie

Good Evening fellow quitters,

I started on Champix this morning, I decided it was time to quit and arrived at this thread, reading all you posts gave me the push I needed, so Thank You one and all.

However, as today is only day one, I have smoked more today than I normally would, I don't know if its because I know in a couple of days I won't like the taste of them or is it normal?

I am looking forward to being smoke free in 10 days.

Thanks again

Buttons ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

I started on Champix this morning, I decided it was time to quit and arrived at this thread, reading all you posts gave me the push I needed, so Thank You one and all.

Buttons ;)

Good luck Buttons,
    Keep us updated.
    You'll have no problem!

Well after doing some research on the effects of champix I realized I only needed them for the first few days because they are used to cover up the symptoms of withdrawl from the nicotine. Since the stuff leaves your body in 72 hours I thought that using them any longer is just a waste plus Im pretty adverse to taking any kind of tablet in general.

Im still going strong a week in now. I get about 1 craving a day now after dinner and it only lasts about 30 seconds! Who knew it could be so easy. Ive looked at a few other threads and decided to start the couch to 5k to get my lungs back to maximum capacity. Just did the first run/walk and Im starting to feel good already.

A holiday sounds like a great goal.Ive been eying up Costa Rica for a while. Maybe a nice little treat.:D

If it works for you - FINE!!! What ever you do is good as long as you stick to your guns!:D
    A friend of mine was this spring in Costa Rica with a group of friends. He loved it and they have done a lot there. What he told me sounded really exiting! So keep on going and save the money. Better on a boat in Costa Rica than in a bed in an irish hospital!!!!!!!!!:p

• Advertisement

Hi, I began champix nearly 3 weeks ago, off the cigs over a week, found the tablets are helping brilliantly!

I have had side effects, but they're worth it, as long as i can stay off the cigs i'll endure anything!

Hope i stick at it now! :) what made me decide was that i am building a house and what i spent on cigs a month was more than my half of the mortgage

good luck to everyone else. I'd definately recommend champix, they do help big time :)

Hi yellybean!
    Good luck to you as well!
    You can do it and the house is a good reason to quit the habit. Leaves you with more money in your pocket and if it pays half of the mortgage then it is definitely worth it!:)
    I am now in month 5 and I love my new life! People comment on my skin because it got so radiant! I am proud of myself and so will you in no time!
    Well done!

However, as today is only day one, I have smoked more today than I normally would, I don't know if its because I know in a couple of days I won't like the taste of them or is it normal?

I am looking forward to being smoke free in 10 days.

Thanks again

Buttons ;)

Good work! Keep it up! You can do it and it would be nice to hear about your progress.
    You will smoke more in the first 2 days because you are afraid of the loss, but it will get easier every day!
    You can do it!!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 irish sea

Hi there,

You all sound like you’re doing a fab job, keep up the great work. My hubby started Champix 10 weeks ago and finally had his last cigarette 5 weeks ago. He was a confirmed smoker of 30 cigs a day for about 25 years so I’m really proud of him. My worry is what happens when he comes to the end of the program in two weeks time. We’re going to become parents to two children at the end of September (we’re adopting) and so it will be a pretty intense and stressful time. The problem is I kinda pushed him into giving up, I mean he said he wanted to but never did anything about it so I was the one who booked the doctors appointment. I guess I'm worried that without Champix he will lapse back.

Would it be worthwhile getting another 4 weeks worth of Champix to get over the ‘hump’ of a stressful period? How have other people fared when they stopped taking Champix, do the cravings come back?

On a slightly different note, have other people found coffee tastes really bad while taking Champix? Hubby loved his morning coffee and ciggy, now he struggles through with the coffee but says it tastes awful.

Thanks in advance
    Irish Sea

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

irish sea wrote: »
    My worry is what happens when he comes to the end of the program in two weeks time. The problem is I kinda pushed him into giving up, I mean he said he wanted to but never did anything about it so I was the one who booked the doctors appointment. I guess I'm worried that without Champix he will lapse back.

Would it be worthwhile getting another 4 weeks worth of Champix to get over the ‘hump’ of a stressful period? How have other people fared when they stopped taking Champix, do the cravings come back?

On a slightly different note, have other people found coffee tastes really bad while taking Champix? Hubby loved his morning coffee and ciggy, now he struggles through with the coffee but says it tastes awful.

Thanks in advance
    Irish Sea

I'll be honest, brutally honest, but also try to explain.

I think you crossed the line for, possibly, short term benefit. I understand you were trying to do the right thing, and in your head you did the right thing. However, it's not your place to book his doctor's appointment regardless of the reasons, unless he asked you to.

He may have said that he wanted to give up. You have to wait until he is ready to.

It's great that he has lasted so long. I just hope it lasts. It's hard enough giving up the cigarettes without being forced into it. It has to be one's own decision. It's not a battle between you and his smoking. It's a battle between him and his smoking. If there is no will, there is no way. Champix is not a miracle cure. It also needs a lot of will power. Something that he may not have the desire to show.

I couldn't think of any more cliche's but I'm sure you get what I'm saying.
    I wish you well.

Hi there,

You all sound like you’re doing a fab job, keep up the great work. My hubby started Champix 10 weeks ago and finally had his last cigarette 5 weeks ago. He was a confirmed smoker of 30 cigs a day for about 25 years so I’m really proud of him. My worry is what happens when he comes to the end of the program in two weeks time. We’re going to become parents to two children at the end of September (we’re adopting) and so it will be a pretty intense and stressful time. The problem is I kinda pushed him into giving up, I mean he said he wanted to but never did anything about it so I was the one who booked the doctors appointment. I guess I'm worried that without Champix he will lapse back.

Thanks in advance
    Irish Sea

Hi Irish Sea! (Love the name)
    I do think, that RangeR is right. It is a very complicated thing with giving up smoking. If you don`t do it for yourself then it is easy to go back on the cigs at the first opportunity. I did quit twice. Every time during my pregnancy and while the kids were small. But it was for the kids and not for me! So when they were older I did start again (at a party) because I hated my weight gain and I did miss the cigs when going out. Was a dedicated smoker for over 35 years!!! But now to your situation.
    It took your husband 5 weeks to quit with champix. When you read through this thread then you will see that the average did quit between 9 and 14 days!
    I do think he was not ready to give them up and still hates the loss of smoking.
    Champix works great when you are truly ready to give up smoking. If not, then it is like with every other thing - you do it until you are fed up with it! (Just think diet!!!)
    If I would be you, then I would have a one/one with him and ask him, if he wants to go on or if he needs just more time.
    I do understand that this has something to do with your adopting kids?!?
    You want him to give it up for the sake of the kids. This is okay and good, but he has to be ready for it as well!
    So talk to him!!!
    The good taste of coffee will come back!
    But this is the very least worry you have!:rolleyes:
    I do wish him good luck and I do admire him for doing it so long already!
    All the best for the two of you!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Hi there,

Thanks in advance
    Irish Sea

Get him to read Alan Carr's Easyway. Your husband's already physically off the drug nicotene. He now just needs to realise he doesn't need smokes psychologically

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Brandon111

Champix works primarily in two ways. Firstly, it reduces the smoker's craving for nicotine by binding to nicotine receptors in the brain and reduces the symptoms of withdrawal. Secondly, it reduces the satisfaction a smoker receives when smoking a cigarette.

It is taken orally. For the first three days, the dosage is 0.5 mg once daily (the 0.5 mg tablet is white). For days four to seven, the dosage is 0.5 mg twice a day. From day eight until the end of the treatment, the dose is 1 mg twice a day (the 0.5 mg tablet is blue).

<snip mod edit>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

if you read the instructions that come with champix you will see that even after the three month stint on them, the doctor can "wean" you off them over the next six months - i.e. a lower dose so you can gradually get off the champix and not think about the cigarettes - it could be worth it.

I am six weeks into the champix - four and a half weeks not smoking - I find them brilliant - my side effects are

once i wake in the night I cannot go back to sleep
    when I am asleep I have very vivid dreams usually involving people I have not thought about for twenty five years or more
    my sense of smell has increased 100 percent
    nausea for about half hour after taking pills (not every time)
    a feeling of "no emotion" king of like a zombie but not as bad as it sounds.
    forgetfullness - someone can tell me to do something and I have it forgotten within then seconds (again, not all the time).
    retching at the smell of smoke on someones clothes.

also for the first month I was fine - however now I have some more symptoms and am wondering if anyone else have these - this I think is not to do with the champix - more to do with clearing out of lungs

it feels like my throat is on fire
    my chest is "rattling"
    very hard cough with brown gunk coming up
    really mucusy nose
    watery eyes
    taste of metal (blood?) in my throat when I cough
    very flu like symptoms.

had that for about three days now - is this normal - is my body just going through the process of cleaning itself up.

I will NEVER PUT a cigarette into my mouth again - if I can feel this bad AFTER i have given the up, and healing my lungs is this painful on my throat then it is the best reason ever to give them up (not to mention the hundreds f euro I am saving every month - 300per month).

if you read the instructions that come with champix you will see that even after the three month stint on them, the doctor can "wean" you off them over the next six months - i.e. a lower dose so you can gradually get off the champix and not think about the cigarettes - it could be worth it.

also for the first month I was fine - however now I have some more symptoms and am wondering if anyone else have these - this I think is not to do with the champix - more to do with clearing out of lungs

it feels like my throat is on fire
    my chest is "rattling"
    very hard cough with brown gunk coming up
    really mucusy nose
    watery eyes
    taste of metal (blood?) in my throat when I cough
    very flu like symptoms.

had that for about three days now - is this normal - is my body just going through the process of cleaning itself up.

I will NEVER PUT a cigarette into my mouth again - if I can feel this bad AFTER i have given the up, and healing my lungs is this painful on my throat then it is the best reason ever to give them up (not to mention the hundreds f euro I am saving every month - 300per month).

Hello dolphin city!

I just popped my head in the thread to see how people go on.
    Off the fags since the 25.04.10 and feeling great!
    I had some of the side effects, but they all disappeared since I am off champix. The dry throat (with burning sensation) is easy to cure with lots of water. Drink plenty of it, it helps cleansing your body as well.
    Lots of people get a flu after stopping smoking. Get some vitamin C tablets and start exercising! Sweat it out. I do still have them watery eyes. It is very bothersome in the sun. Wear glasses.
    Just go on. You are half way through! Well done and good luck to you!!!:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭buttonsflyie

Hi There
    Just popped back in to give anybody who is interested my update.
    Day 17 on the Champix, Day 3 off the Cigs. :D:D:D

Found that at the start of week 1 I smoked as normal and maybe even more! From day 6 to 14 I smoked 33 cigs, not bad for a 30 a day gal
    I picked day 11, 1st of Sept as my quit date, but I wasn’t quite ready to say goodbye to them, so I was still smoking on day 14, however I woke up on day 15 and said I am not smoking.

The hardest thing I find is breaking the habit, obviously no cravings, but the automatic reaction to reach for the box is still here, that’s what I have to work on.

As to the side effects:

Sleeping like the dead! But having vivid dreams, now not bad dreams, or ones that are waking me up, but I feel like what ever actions I am doing in the dreams, when I wake up I feel I have been physically doing that action all night, if you get what I mean.

Tiredness in general, I am now ready for bed!

And last but by no means least, sever wind, my stomach is constantly churning and bubbling, its not that uncomfortable, but it can be embarrassing as the wind is extremely fragrant!!!!!:o:o:o:o

ALL THAT SAID……………………………..

I wouldn’t swap any of it for one drag of a fag ;);)

I’ll keep you posted.

Buttons

Advertisement