Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning an old rucksack

Options
  • 24-08-2020 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I have just been given an old rucksack (80 l Berghaus expedition) by a friend who has no use for it anymore. It's in great condition except for one big problem. It's been hanging in his utility room for the last few years which is his smoking room when it's too wet to go outside and it is absolutely honking of smoke and tar! Has anyone any tips as to how I can clean it? I've been an outdoor person all my life and have owned many rucksacks but I've never stored mine like this, that's for sure. It'd be a terrible shame to throw it out as I would definitely have plenty of use for it but if it's a dead loss then so be it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,078 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Sprinkle soda bicarb on the material and leave for a day them hoover it off and wipe clean .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,855 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Fill a bath with warm water and some sort of detergent and soak it for an hour or two?

It'd take an age to dry, I'd imagine, but if we got a decent dry spell (ie not this week :D) hang it outside to air dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jamfer

Hit Tesco and buy they own brand hand wash soap - it won't damage any DWR and is gentle on fabrics - then, as HeidiHeidi says, fill your bath and soak it there for a but before rubbing down all surfaces inside and out. Empty the bath and then rinse the rucksack. Pop it in the hotpress to dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Not sure about rucksacks, but soap flakes are excellent for getting smoking tar off walls and painted surfaces.

Failing that, as above, soak it for a day, scrub it gently and then let it air dry. If it still smells, then buy some Fabreze sheets and take it to a launderette with a large tumble dryer and try that for 15 mins on a medium temp.

Advertisement