Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiny wedding and after party.

Options
  • 17-12-2018 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭

I am getting married this year and just inviting close family. So regis try office and then a meal in a private room of a restaurant. The issue is afterwards. There have been suggestions of having a party afterwards. I am in two minds about it because of expectations of people going and basically thinking I am being mean. I would provide finger food and put on invites that presents are not expected as it's casual.

Would that be okay and people would expect it to be like an afters or would it be better to keep it family only for all day?

I would like to have a drink with people but don't want to seem mean either by not inviting them in full.

I am thinking of fallon and byrne or a nice pub function room in central dublin so it's easy to get to. So any recommendations would be most welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭love_love

My advice: Do whatever you want to do and don't consider what other people's expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

You could also just have the "afters" a few weeks later. My friends did that after their very small wedding. Just hired a room in a nice pub and had a party there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Are you asking to recommend restaraunts with private rooms/gastropubs with similar or asking would that be ok?

The second bit is easy to answer, it would be more than ok, it would be brilliant because it would be exactly what you wanted. It'll be a great night and youll go your whole life knowing you had your wedding the way you wanted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

We had a tiny wedding. Grand total of 7 guests, the two registrars, the two of us and the dog. Seriously, they let us bring the dog into the ceremony.

Neither of us wanted the hassle of dealing with our own families, let alone each others, so just a couple of friends each who we paid for in the posh hotel for the long weekend. No parties, drunkenness, families, friends we hardly know, stress over seating plans or dietary requirements or anything we couldn't be bothered with.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I was at a wedding recently. Civil ceremony followed by dinner at four o clock or so. About 40 guests.

Bride and groom departed at 8 oclock and people could stay on, or go.

Neat.

Was great really. Everyone could do their own thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I was at a wedding recently. Civil ceremony followed by dinner at four o clock or so. About 40 guests.

Bride and groom departed at 8 oclock and people could stay on, or go.

Neat.

Was great really. Everyone could do their own thing.
    I’ve a sneaking suspicion that this is going to be the way forward really for either religious or civil weddings. Or maybe that’s just wishful thinking.
    All the weddings now are the same formula, the extravagance and the “keeping up with the Joneses”element is cringy and tasteless with little class on display. Well done to them for doing their own thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

splinter65 wrote: »
    I’ve a sneaking suspicion that this is going to be the way forward really for either religious or civil weddings. Or maybe that’s just wishful thinking.
    All the weddings now are the same formula, the extravagance and the “keeping up with the Joneses”element is cringy and tasteless with little class on display. Well done to them for doing their own thing.

All the weddings ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

OP . You do exactly what you want and enjoy your day

Yes you are right, I think bling and all that is done to death now.

Anyway it was a great day, and no one gave a fig that the B+G fecked off either!

No music, no band, no nothing, just a get together. Was great really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Thanks all you have made me feel much better abut doing what I want.

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    All the weddings ?

My batchelor neighbor has been to 19 weddings in the last 2 years (he’s that age). He says he saw no difference between any of them. Same meal same speeches same selfie props same table settings same band.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

splinter65 wrote:
    I’ve a sneaking suspicion that this is going to be the way forward really for either religious or civil weddings. Or maybe that’s just wishful thinking. All the weddings now are the same formula, the extravagance and the “keeping up with the Jonesesâ€element is cringy and tasteless with little class on display. Well done to them for doing their own thing.

We had a small wedding, few family and friends. Great day. We had dinner and a few drinks. We were all done and dusted by 10:30/11.
    It's been 8 years and haven't heard any complaints.

Seanieke wrote: »
    We had a small wedding, few family and friends. Great day. We had dinner and a few drinks. We were all done and dusted by 10:30/11.

That's because everyone enjoyed it at their own pace and could go whenever they wanted. Well done.

Seanieke wrote: »

Much better arrangement imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

My batchelor neighbor has been to 19 weddings in the last 2 years (he’s that age). He says he saw no difference between any of them. Same meal same speeches same selfie props same table settings same band.

Oh those f...ing speeches.I was at one wedding this year.The speeches were painful,went on way too long and most of the content was pointless and of no interest to 99% of the guests.All I could see were bored faces all around the hotel function room.

Advertisement