Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing roses from seed

Options
  • 11-12-2018 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has tried ?

Sounds fairly daunting to me, but I've been trying to get hold of an Osira rose since my last one died but can't find anyone that sells grown stock, either here or the UK.

Lots of places sell seeds for them so may be my only choice, but just wondered what the success rate is

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

No idea about that specific rose, but I remember getting seeds for a miniature rose for Christmas, they were in a kit with the pot and the soil. The rose grew, and it's still going strong, the guts of 20 years later.

If the seeds for your variety are not too expensive, I'd say give it a shot. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Accidentally

Just wondering if anyone has tried ?

Sounds fairly daunting to me, but I've been trying to get hold of an Osira rose since my last one died but can't find anyone that sells grown stock, either here or the UK.

Lots of places sell seeds for them so may be my only choice, but just wondered what the success rate is

Are hybrids grown from seed not just a lottery?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Not sure to be honest, but according to what I've seen online, people seem to have great success with this particular rose anyway, so may as well give it a try

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭macraignil

If you buy seeds sold as a hybrid you pay extra as the producer has taken steps that it is a specific hybrid seed that they have produced and the plants that are produced should be even more consistent than normal seeds. The hybrid seed is a specific cross between two known parent varieties. If you use hybrid vegetable seed for example the crop should all be ready around the same time if planted together. I have seen garden advice programs advising against hybrid seed if you would prefer to have a crop ready over a longer time so there is not just one glut of produce all at once. If you go on to save seed from plants bought as hybrids then it does go back to a bit of a lottery as the next generation of seed is supposed to be genetically mixed in a more random manor. Saving seed from pot marigold I find is an enjoyable type of lottery as there is a range of yellow and orange flowers that can be produced with occasionally a particularly nice one emerging.

Advertisement