Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Messed up an interview

Options
  • 10-12-2018 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I had an interview today in for a contract with a company that I have worked with before. I was so nervous going into the interview and as a result, I messed up on allot of the questions. I also have a little scratch on the bottom of my nose and during the interview I couldnt stop scratching it, it was all down to nerves but I probably looked like I was picking my nose.
    Im kicking myself for screwing the interview up so badly. There were a very others who went for the interview too so im sure I didnt get the job.
    I feel sick.
    I dont know why im posting I just needed to get this off my chest.
    Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It's unfortunate that things went so wrong for you but I think we all learn a lot from interviews that don't go well for us. You can't change what happened today but you can work on the mistakes you made. If you've got a tendency to get very nervous before interviews, have a look at some relaxation techniques and things you can do to calm your nerves. I've heard someone recommend Rescue Remedy (think you can get it in health food shops) but I have no idea if it's any good.

Not that it's going to help you one bit but the worst interview I ever did was for a former employer. I'm now very glad I didn't get it but it was very uncomfortable at the time. I'm not sure going back to a former employer is always a good idea anyway but it depends on the circumstances of course. Internal interviews aren't fun but I think when it's an old job you left, it's different again.

If you don't get the job, there will be other ones out there. Perhaps going forwards instead of backwards is the way to go here. Nobody's future is set in stone and maybe a better job lies just around the corner for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Don't sweat it at all and move on to the next one , interviewing is a process and I find that when you are on the job hunt it can take a couple of interviews to actually get into your vibe and truly be interviewing at 100% , this is normal...sometimes people interview only every couple of years so it's natural to need time to pick up , it can also be down to the company , the people interviewing , clicking with them etc...

Even people who are generally excellent at interviews mess up from time to time , I have interviewed hundreds of people myself over the last ten years and I have also messed up quite a few myself.

Relax , next one will go better just be yourself this is the best advice I can give anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Don't worry about it, I once hired a person who gave the most nervous interview i have ever seen, i could see on the CV that they knew what i needed and could see the nerves got the better of them. One of the best hires we ever made. If you don't get it, use it to learn going forward, also i could not state enough change "Interview" to "meeting" it takes the pressure off and also practise and rehearse mock questions to perfect your answers until they are second nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

The only advice I can give you about interviews is that the more you do the better you get af them. Also, for the next time, practice your pitch (ie a few lines about each job, answers to all the standard questions) before you go in. It will stream out of you then and you will feel more confident. And don't beat yourself up. You are only human, maybe you did better than you think. It has been good experience anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The only advice I can give you about interviews is that the more you do the better you get af them. Also, for the next time, practice your pitch (ie a few lines about each job, answers to all the standard questions) before you go in. It will stream out of you then and you will feel more confident. And don't beat yourself up. You are only human, maybe you did better than you think. It has been good experience anyway.

That's good advice. Interview training can be a big help too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement