Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I send my Seiko Solar back?

• 09-12-2018 10:56pm
    Moderators Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some advice and guidance, before I send this one back.

I picked up a Seiko Solar SNE095P2 back in June from Watchshop, received it soon after, and all worked fine.

I put it in a drawer, and it came back out in September time, but wasn't running. I've spent between then and now leaving the watch on a sunny windowsill (for a couple of weeks), wearing it with sleeves up (cue funny looks from workmates - "why are you wearing a watch thats not working :/ :pac:) and I even resorted to picking up a "solar watch charger" from Amazon.

All to no avail unfortunately; each time I can only start the second hand by pulling out the crown, and it'll run for about 3-4 hours before stopping again.

Should I invest more time in getting better light onto the face? It'd have to be something electrical rather than natural, given the time of year - any bulb/lamp recommendations? Or is the battery likely fecked, and I should just send it back?

Comments

Most likely the battery has gone too low. They use some type of a lithium rechargeable battery and if they are deep discharged (to a voltage below the operating range) the internal resistance can become high. Too high for indoor lighting or even cloudy sunlight through a window to overcome.

Outdoor sunlight for a few days might deliver enough current to kickstart it. Nothing else comes close in lux. I would consider leaving it outside for a few days - eg on a garden table - if the forecast looks okay. With the crown pulled out so all generated power is going to the cell. If that sounds like too much faff I would just send it back.

It's a common issue with these watches, they should not be stored in the dark, especially not from new (assume they will have been in the box for several months prior to receiving it). The power reserve (eg 10 months) is there just in case; it's not a good general practice to avail of it. It still should not happen in such a short time - it is more common with watches that have been stored for several years. So you would be within your rights to seek repair or replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭thelizardking1

I would consider leaving it outside for a few days - eg on a garden table - if the forecast looks okay. With the crown pulled out so all generated power is going to the cell.

Definitely do not do this! This is dampest time of year. Regardless of whether it's raining or not moisture will enter the watch if you leave the crown pulled out.

Simple solution, send it back. They'll probably just send you a new one.

Definitely do not do this! This is dampest time of year. Regardless of whether it's raining or not moisture will enter the watch if you leave the crown pulled out.

Simple solution, send it back. They'll probably just send you a new one.
    It's a new watch (good gaskets etc) and it achieves 100m WR without screw-down crown. It will be fine.

You don't worry about moisture entering when setting the time. You don't take special precautions to do it as fast as possible and only at times of year with low humidity.

In any case this is last ditch and OP is planning to send back.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭thelizardking1

It's a new watch (good gaskets etc) and it achieves 100m WR without screw-down crown. It will be fine.

You don't worry about moisture entering when setting the time. You don't take special precautions to do it as fast as possible and only at times of year with low humidity.

Apples and oranges. Pulling the crown out for a few seconds to set the time is a lot different to leaving your watch sitting outside for a few days during winter in Ireland with the crown pulled out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It won't look too good if the watch has moisture inside it if they attempt to return it. I would definitely not pull out the crown if leaving outside for any amount of time. Good/fresh gaskets don't matter if the crown has been pulled out.

Setting the time only takes a matter of seconds so moisture/humidity etc don't really matter. But leaving a watch outside in our winter for a prolonged amount of time is a very different story.

OP, I think I would go and start the process of returning now. I've had many solar watches and I've never experienced this, my oldest is 12 years old and it has never not restarted.

• Advertisement

Modern watches pretty much all use crown designs which achieve good water resistance with crown in or out. We are not talking about an old watch, or a 30m splash-proof watch. It's a 100m Seiko, in the air. It will be fine. However I have no stake in it so feel free to err on the side of caution. I leave crowns pulled out on various watches for months and years at a time.

The battery issue is common with solar watches, however I agree it should not happen in such a short time. We don't know how long the watch was in storage prior to delivery. Something similar will happen to the lithium battery in your phone or laptop if they are deep discharged.

• Moderators Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Spocker

Thanks folks, all very helpful advice - I do agree that leaving it directly outside is not a runner, I'll send it back and see what they say

• Moderators Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Spocker

Got this back today, all working fine - no indication what was done though, just the printout from the pressure test.

Interestingly enough, when Watchshop got it back from Seiko the first time, they sent me a mail : "We have received your item back from the manufacturer today however we have noticed that the repair has not been processed under the standard we would have expected.

In light of this we have returned your watch back for a further assessment and we will be in touch with you as soon as we can."

It took an extra 4 weeks to turn it around again, but you can't fault the service :)

Advertisement