Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotten Fruit On Ground

Options
  • 07-12-2018 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭

I have a pollytunnel with lots of old tomato plants. Pulled them all up yesterday, but lots of old fruit on the ground and in the beds. Is it good / bad to leave them there over winter? Will the seeds grow next year? I imagine mold & flies & disease will be the problem. Any benefit to soil to let them compost in situ?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I have a pollytunnel with lots of old tomato plants. Pulled them all up yesterday, but lots of old fruit on the ground and in the beds. Is it good / bad to leave them there over winter? Will the seeds grow next year? I imagine mold & flies & disease will be the problem. Any benefit to soil to let them compost in situ?

Happens in every polytunnel unless you're anal about picking them up. They'll rot in to the soil. Prepare to be picking out seedlings all next year though, as soon as the soil warms up in spring they will be sprouting all summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Zzippy wrote: »
    Happens in every polytunnel unless you're anal about picking them up. They'll rot in to the soil. Prepare to be picking out seedlings all next year though, as soon as the soil warms up in spring they will be sprouting all summer.

Thx zzippy. Good to note.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We pick them all.

I’d worry about mould etc that might go on to affect plants down the line.

Pick them, compost them and return them to the soil as good compost.

Advertisement