Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anyone re-negotiated Eir FTTH contract?

• 02-12-2018 7:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

My contract with Eir FTTH is up at the end of this month and changes from 50 a month to 84. Has anyone re-negotiated with them and got a better deal? Overall, despite their numerous problems, I'm happy enough with the service, especially Eir Talk, but not the new price.
    It's almost impossible to get through on the phone or webchat and the Eir forum here is closed, so I'll consider other providers if no one has managed to negotiate a better deal.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭corks finest

RoYoBo wrote: »
    My contract with Eir FTTH is up at the end of this month and changes from 50 a month to 84. Has anyone re-negotiated with them and got a better deal? Overall, despite their numerous problems, I'm happy enough with the service, especially Eir Talk, but not the new price.
    It's almost impossible to get through on the phone or webchat and the Eir forum here is closed, so I'll consider other providers if no one has managed to negotiate a better deal.
    VF VF VF is calling,better service/ customer care/ speeds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

VF VF VF is calling,better service/ customer care/ speeds

Better than Airwire? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I doubt there is much wiggle room with them but I'd be interested to hear what, if anything, you're offered. I cancelled the phone part of my package after the 12 months were up and they made no offer to me to entice me to keep it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I doubt there is much wiggle room with them but I'd be interested to hear what, if anything, you're offered. I cancelled the phone part of my package after the 12 months were up and they made no offer to me to entice me to keep it.

Was there a reduction in monthly payments?

Would it not be prudent to move provider prior to the new scheme being introduced whereby each move will cost the user a lot of money?

Was there a reduction in monthly payments?

Would it not be prudent to move provider prior to the new scheme being introduced whereby each move will cost the user a lot of money?

There was a reduction. I was paying €69 (first 12 months discount) per month for 300Mb plus anytime Ireland and UK landline and mobile calls.

This was due to rise to €89 per month after the 12 months were up. To be honest we hardly used the phone over the year so getting rid seemed sensible.

I switched to 300Mb broadband only at €67.98 per month.

If it wasn't for free eir + BT sports I would have moved to another ISP. I did not know about this increased migration charge until yesterday.

I don't know that the migration will necessarily cost the user money. It remains to be seen if the ISPs pass on the cost. I don't think they will be able to pass on the full amount. It would only deter customers from switching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

BT sports will disappear from Eir anyhow .. latest in the Summer.

Sky have now the exclusive contract to market and sell BT sports both in the UK and Ireland. And that means that Eirs contract more than likely will not be renewed come June or July, when their contract is up.

That leaves them with one minor Rugby league on Eir sports .. that's it.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Marlow wrote: »
    BT sports will disappear from Eir anyhow .. latest in the Summer.

Sky have now the exclusive contract to market and sell BT sports both in the UK and Ireland. And that means that Eirs contract more than likely will not be renewed come June or July, when their contract is up.

That leaves them with one minor Rugby league on Eir sports .. that's it.

/M

.... and a considerable number of customers that were prepared to pay a slightly higher price for their service leaving for other ISPs at the end of their contract (myself included).

.... and a considerable number of customers that were prepared to pay a slightly higher price for their service leaving for other ISPs at the end of their contract (myself included).

For those who follow sports, it's a pain in the arse ... and that's an understatement.

It was one of the key selling factors for Eir.

Keep an eye on the alternative providers in the upcoming months. There WILL be interesting developments :) (HINT HINT)

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭long_b

What's this migration charge?

long_b wrote: »
    What's this migration charge?

OpenEIR have convinced Comreg to change their wholesale pricing on installations .. disregardless, if it's a new installation or a provider change.

It's all going to cost the providers now. Doesn't matter if an engineer is needed.

Now .. obviously, nobody knows what that means to the retail market. But it means, that every provider change on FTTH (new and existing) costs the provider just under 200 EUR now.

Free provider change may be gone the way of the dodo after 1.1.2019.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

The prospect of the migration charge in the new year is hastening my decision alright. I'd be happy to wait for a few months on a rolling contract of 84 if I though I'd get a good deal elsewhere or re-negotiate a better rate.

I'm not bothered about the sports package, but I like the Eir Talk and my inclusive landline/mobile calls, so I'm prepared to accept some price increase. Being able to take/make calls via my broadband package on a mobile phone away from home (with no extra charge) is worth a lot to me. I was even able to use it on holiday in Spain to ring home and receive calls made to my landline.

None of the other providers have a deal that comes close IMO Decisions, decisions ...

Eir have removed the all inclusive mobile/landline calls from their packages, so re-negotiating that is void anyhow. They only offer off peak irish landline calls included now.

If you have that package, then you probably also still have the 1TB limit, where you get charged once you exceed that.

Digiweb offer a phone package with all inclusive, I believe. Not sure, what Vodafone have.

Lots of choices out there anyhow.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Eir have removed the all inclusive mobile/landline calls from their packages, so re-negotiating that is void anyhow. They only offer off peak irish landline calls included now.

If you have that package, then you probably also still have the 1TB limit, where you get charged once you exceed that.

Digiweb offer a phone package with all inclusive, I believe. Not sure, what Vodafone have.

/M

I'm with Digiweb and have Irish and UK landline and mobiles. Can't complain.

The father in law is with Vodafone and currently has (with ADSL) Irish landline/mobiles and UK landlines for €60 pm. After some negotiation, he has supposedly got a FTTH deal for 150Mb with Irish landline/mobile calls and UK landlines for the same €60 pm, also with the first 6 months discounted to €25 plus whatever they add for the phone. Install in the next 7-10 days. I'll be interested to see if that comes true as that's by far the best offering out there (I can live without calls to UK mobiles).

/M

Finally got through to Eir by phone and, after going around the houses a bit and waiting for 30 minutes, I got offered a renewed 12 month deal with exactly the same options as I have now for €56 per month. I was offered a number of other options like TV and mobile, but they don't interest me and there was no hard sell.

This beats the deals from everywhere else and I still keep my all inclusive mobile and landline package. I was actually surprised I got such a good deal. I never even approach the 1TB limit, so that remaining restriction doesn't feature for me.

Assuming all goes well and no hiccups with billing going forward, I'm happy with that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

This beats the deals from everywhere else and I still keep my all inclusive mobile and landline package. I was actually surprised I got such a good deal. I never even approach the 1TB limit, so that remaining restriction doesn't feature for me.

)

How sure are you on that?

Finally got through to Eir by phone and, after going around the houses a bit and waiting for 30 minutes, I got offered a renewed 12 month deal with exactly the same options as I have now for €56 per month. I was offered a number of other options like TV and mobile, but they don't interest me and there was no hard sell.

Assuming all goes well and no hiccups with billing going forward, I'm happy with that :)

Fair play. That's a good deal. You must be a better negotiator than me!

How sure are you on that?

As sure as I can be, given it's Eir. I got him to repeat it several times on the recorded phonecall and asked for (and got) an email confirming the deal:

Your Bundle Includes: eir Broadband Talk Unlimited National, Mobile & UK eir Fibre Extreme 150Mb

Of course I know that what Eir says isn't always what actually happens on occasion - I had problems and delays with installation last year. I don't look forward to having to fight my corner if it doesn't pan out, but I have enough evidence to fuel any appeal for rectification if the worst happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

You can log in to my eir right now and it should tell you that you have 1500 mins Irish mobiles, 1500 mins uk landlines, 1000 mins uk mobiles
    It never was unlimited as that too has a fair usage policy. But once all that shows up you are on the correct package.

tuxy wrote: »
    You can log in to my eir right now and it should tell you that you have 1500 mins Irish mobiles, 1500 mins uk landlines, 1000 mins uk mobiles
    It never was unlimited as that too has a fair usage policy. But once all that shows up you are on the correct package.

True. Also you have to hang up and redial after 59 minutes or anything above 60 minutes is billed at quite expensive per minute rates.

tuxy wrote: »

Yes, it shows up on My Eir now - I wasn't sure if it was still the old contract, but it seems to be be correctly recorded as the new one. The FUP on the calls is fine for me and given that I can use the Eir Talk app, it saves me a 'bundle' on my mobile phone when I'm away from home too.

Incidentally, the CS rep told me that the new deal I got wasn't available to new customers. That probably explains why the all inclusive anytime phone package is no longer available.

• Advertisement

Yes, it shows up on My Eir now - I wasn't sure if it was still the old contract, but it seems to be be correctly recorded as the new one. The FUP on the calls is fine for me and given that I can use the Eir Talk app, it saves me a 'bundle' on my mobile phone when I'm away from home too.

Incidentally, the CS rep told me that the new deal I got wasn't available to new customers. That probably explains why the all inclusive anytime phone package is no longer available.

Yeah the Eir Talk app is very good. I wish some of the other ISPs would develop similar apps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Just as a data point, 4 months ago Eir absolutely refused to renegotiate and give us the "new customer" deal. So we moved to a different provider. A few days after the switchover, an Eir rep called and said they saw we were still in the cooling off period, and offered the new customer deal if we moved back. We ended up staying with the new provider to avoid the hassle, despite Eir's offer being slightly cheaper.

The question is, how much savings is your time worth ?

Sittings hours in a support queue isn't worth the saving of maybe 50 EUR or less per year (for me at least). Life is too short.

/M

Advertisement