Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Red Squirrel

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I've seen cypress "pods" (not sure what they are actually called :o) gnawed to bits - it took me ages to figure out who was eating them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

gozunda wrote: »
    Same happened locally. Noticible increase in fox population responsible imo.
    It became a pattern where I live, I spot a rabbit or two in my cameras, a day or two later I see a fox, then both vanish, a week or two later the same happens again

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Mach Two

New Home wrote: »
    I've seen cypress "pods" (not sure what they are actually called :o) gnawed to bits - it took me ages to figure out who was eating them. :)

What does a cypress pod look like.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

They look like this when they're green,

ibk-4498269.jpg

like this when they're mature and about to open,

8790769-cypress-tree-cones-plant-arizona.jpg

and like this when they're dry and have fallen to the ground.

il_340x270.1370694999_ok66.jpg?version=1

I've since discovered that a cypress "pine" cone (or megastrobilus) is called galbulus (the plural is galbuli). :)

Anyway, squirrels love them.

Mod Note: Comment Deleted

• Advertisement

What are the chances of a second squirrel being around. Or do they break up for the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Mach Two wrote: »
    What are the chances of a second squirrel being around. Or do they break up for the winter.

They may share a drey in winter, to keep warm but outside of mating they usually keep apart. The young are looked after by the mother alone. They are basically solitary creatures. But, quite likely there are others in the area.

Really bad news I am afraid. I was driving out the driveway and spotted a bushy tail on the ground waving in the wind. Seems the squirrel got hit by a car. Pity. I was really looking forward to seeing it around for the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

may he/she RIP

:(:(:( Hope s/he didn't suffer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Mach Two wrote: »
    Really bad news I am afraid. I was driving out the driveway and spotted a bushy tail on the ground waving in the wind. Seems the squirrel got hit by a car. Pity. I was really looking forward to seeing it around for the winter.

Posted this found poem awhile ago. Strangely relevant....

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055790800/29/#post108647845

Thanks to everyone for sharing with me the wonders of our countryside. Hopefully another one will turn up. Happy Christmas to everyone too.

Advertisement