Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concrete on yard in front of house all green/moss

Options
  • 18-11-2018 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

What would be the best thing I could get in Woodies to spray it with ? Do I need to spray it and then wash with a water ? I heard chlorine is good but I tried a few stores and they do not stock it...Thks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,051 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You could try bio washing powder (a cheapo one from lidl or aldi will do) - make a solution and add some bleach. Slosh it on, brush it around then leave for a while. You could then wash off with a pressure washer if you have one, but use a wide spray so not to damage the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,617 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Just pressure washer .about twice a year will keep it fine.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Washing soda (NOT caustic soda) will probably work, too, and it's likely to be more biodegradable/less aggressive than washing powder.

As for chlorine, get a bottle of plain old bleach from any supermarkets, it's the same thing, albeit more diluted. Do not use it as it is, always dilute it in water, and never, EVER mix it with ammonia or anything that contains it. I'm not sure how it'd react if mixed with washing soda, but better safe than sorry.

Also, if you don't have a pressure washer, get a stiff brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

harry999 wrote: »
    What would be the best thing I could get in Woodies to spray it with ? Do I need to spray it and then wash with a water ? I heard chlorine is good but I tried a few stores and they do not stock it...Thks

Depends how much you have to clean. Go to an agri store and they will have chlorine (cleaning milking parlors).. be very very careful, gloves goggles-it's serious stuff. Spray on a day when the rain comes tomorrow if you understand.
    The spray will kill the moss and algae etc and rain will wash away. It will be cleaning itself for a few weeks so don't expect an overnight miracle.

Regards power washing, unless very bad don't wash, you'll wash out the concrete. Don't ever wash tarmac. You need to kill the growth first else it will just grow back.

Repeat spray once per year to keep it clean

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

many thanks for the tips, how many parts of water to chlorus? how long would I need to leave the chlorus before scrubbing it? Or is it ok just to leave it dissolve and the the rain do the job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

banoffe2 wrote: »
    many thanks for the tips, how many parts of water to chlorus? how long would I need to leave the chlorus before scrubbing it? Or is it ok just to leave it dissolve and the the rain do the job?

Hard at it Christmas night!
    I'd go about 20/1 or more. No to need to scrub, spray it today if it's going to rain tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

How far from a well is safe for chlorine use?

Advertisement