Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow boots

Options
  • 12-11-2018 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭

Hello

Looking to buy a pair of snow boots. Purely in preparation for any snow we may have in Ireland this year and for the purpose of general walking in snow and playing with kids.

As we know, snow in Ireland soon turns to slush and is normally not the powdery type.
    With this in mind, should I go ‘water Resistant’ or ‘water proof’ ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

The little bit of snow we get here, you are probably as well to save your money and get the snow studs to slip onto your regular boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Snow boots are more of a mainland Europe kind of thing, especially in places like Scandinavia where there's always snow followed by weeks of dirty slush. Here a decent pair of walking boots are as much as you'd ever need, optionally with some if those pull on spikes if it gets icy.

Having said that, Lidl and Aldi sometimes have them in around this time of the year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I have the Lidl boots, they take a lot of breaking in, so bear that in mind before you strap them on and go crunching off into the white outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭obi604

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I have the Lidl boots, they take a lot of breaking in, so bear that in mind before you strap them on and go crunching off into the white outdoors.

Are these water proof or resistant?

What do you mean by breaking in? Just very uncomfortable to start with yeah.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A good deal of rubber on the outer area so I'd imagine good for slush as well as snow. Well insulated so cold wasn't a problem at all.

Where the rubber lower part ends and the "leather" upper starts actually cut into my ankles, around the outer foot bones, on both boots. Had to stop wearing them and go back to ordinary shin-high rubber boots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

What's wrong with bog standard wellies and an extra pair of socks if needed? Go to your local co-op and there'll be a selection to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭obi604

BarryD2 wrote: »
    What's wrong with bog standard wellies and an extra pair of socks if needed? Go to your local co-op and there'll be a selection to choose from.

Never said anything wrong with this option.

Advertisement