Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby ear piercing Dublin

Options
  • 22-10-2018 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I know this is a controversial topic but I have decided I want to get my baby's ears pierced. First of all I think it is so cute, secondly her father is not Irish and it is very common in his culture.

Can anyone recommend me somewhere in Dublin that will do it safely and professionally?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I can't recommend anyone, nor have I really considered the implications, so haven't yet formed an opinion on the topic. But standard adice with any peircing is to do it with a needle by a professional peircer... Never use a gun.

I'm not sure I'd be too keen on the risk of peircing a baby human... But then people do weird things to their children, like circumcision (the non medical type).

TBH the risk of infection etc... in a young child just because it's 'so cute' doesn't make it a compelling proposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I don't imagine you'll be able to find anywhere reputable or decent that will be willing to pierce an infants ears.

I don't care how cute it is, its causing unnecessary pain for cosmetic reasons to a baby who didn't even ask for it. Don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

It's very common where I'm from as well. I had my ears pierced when I was a little baby, so did my mom. I'd say that good 90% of baby girls in my country have their ears pierced. It only hurts for a few seconds, sometimes it's painless if you get a really good person.

That said, not sure if you will find anyone who will do it here in Ireland as it's seen almost as a child abuse.

Are you going to your partner's country anytime soon? I'm sure that if it's common there, you'd definitely find someone experienced.

No good piercer is going to do it. Any piercer I know of won’t pierce any child’s ears who are not old enough to request it. As well as the fact babies pull on all parts of their bodies as they get older there’s a huge risk of the baby pulling her piercing and causing irritation or infection. Just use common sense and leave the child alone. It does not look cute either, it looks like child abuse imo.

Katgurl wrote: »
    Hi,

I know this is a controversial topic but I have decided I want to get my baby's ears pierced. First of all I think it is so cute, secondly her father is not Irish and it is very common in his culture.

Can anyone recommend me somewhere in Dublin that will do it safely and professionally?

This also is the part that grates me. YOU decided. What if she grows up and hates ear piercings? Well, what does it matter anyway since you’ve made a decision for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

RaichuMGS wrote: »
    This also is the part that grates me. YOU decided. What if she grows up and hates ear piercings? Well, what does it matter anyway since you’ve made a decision for her.

Eh she can just take her earrings out when she's older if she wants to. Not a huge deal, don't know why people get so annoyed about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Don't get your child's ear pierced. Let them get old enough to choose to get them pierced. No reputable piercer will do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

One persons cute is another’s chavvy as fcuk. Also it’s not like child abuse, it is child abuse. I can’t think of a single positive reason to do it. Please don’t.

HelgaWard wrote: »
    Eh she can just take her earrings out when she's older if she wants to. Not a huge deal, don't know why people get so annoyed about it.

Do you have a piercing? Do you realise that they leave a scar?

I’ll tell you what, you have someone hold you down while someone sticks a needle into both of your ears, against your wishes. then come back and ask why people get annoyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

HelgaWard wrote: »

1. It'll leave holes in her ears
    2. Is there a chance she might accidentally injure herself/tear her ears? I was 11 when I got mine pierced and I had to undertake a care regime so that they'd heal up
    3. Just because it's traditional where the father comes from does not mean it's right. It's an extreme example but there are still girls subjected to Female Genital Mutilation because it's part of some cultures.
    4. It looks chavvy as fck. I judge people who pierce their young kids ears.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Can't understand why someone would willing cause a child unwarranted pain just because they think it looks cute. Maybe gave your child the right to make up their own mind when they are old enough.

As said above, you might struggle to get any competent or decent place willing to do it. Likely a hack job by a friend in their bathroom sink or a tattoo artist that's struggling to get by (not commenting that such a person would be bad, per se, even the best in the world will struggle financially at times).

As with others, i'd advise against it, and I also would be quick to judge a parent that reckons stabbing holes in their child's ears is fine because it's 'cute'. You're not gonna have any issues or difficulties by not doing it, so there's no real reason to rush into getting it done.

a tattoo artist that's struggling to get by (not commenting that such a person would be bad, per se, even the best in the world will struggle financially at times).

Financial difficulty is not an appropriate reason to do a **** job of anything. Just had to point that out :P

RaichuMGS wrote: »
    Financial difficulty is not an appropriate reason to do a **** job of anything. Just had to point that out :P

Didn't say they'd do a 'siht' job of it, just that they'd be more inclined to actually do it.

I presume any tattoo artist, piercer, barber, etc. that has a lot of cash coming in, likely won't be doing jobs that are awkward or raise the eyebrows of the general public (ie; most would agree piercing a baby is a bad idea).

Not sure if i just worded it poorly in the first post or not though.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Sure, subject your baby to unnecessary pain and lifelong scars on her ears because "it's cute".

Didn't say they'd do a 'siht' job of it, just that they'd be more inclined to actually do it.

I presume any tattoo artist, piercer, barber, etc. that has a lot of cash coming in, likely won't be doing jobs that are awkward or raise the eyebrows of the general public (ie; most would agree piercing a baby is a bad idea).

Not sure if i just worded it poorly in the first post or not though.. :o

I personally don’t care what financial strain a person is under in this industry the only thing studios have are their ethics. Throw those away you may as well close the doors imo

Advertisement