Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 February coin fair

Options
  • 25-01-2018 10:50pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Apparently the organisers for some reason have decided not to hold the Feb coin fair this year. So here is an important message from Del Parker, a well known US based Irish coin dealer:

Hello Fellow Irish Coin, medal, banknote, and stamp enthusiasts,

For over 50 years, an International Coin Fair has been a numismatic happening in Dublin in February. This year, seeing none, I have stepped forward, and organized one...

Venue: Freemason Hall, 17 Molesworth St.

Date: 17th Sat, and 18th Sun Feb 2018

Public time: Sat 10 - 6, Sun 11 - 5

Dealers and members of the Irish Numismatic Society helping to run the show may gain admittance at 8 AM on Sat, and 10 AM on Sun.

Admission is 3 euros for individuals, 5 euros for families, and 1 euro for members the Irish Numismatic Society.

There will be advertisements in the Irish Times, and elsewhere...

Well known dealers and auction houses of Irish and foreign coins, medals, banknotes, stamps, and related memorabilia will be giving FREE Appraisals and offering to buy and sell.

The Irish Numismatic Society will be in attendance, offering guidance in coin and note collecting for collectors from beginning to advanced. Security will be provided during the show, and overnight on Sat.

There is a Buswell's Hotel hotel immediately across from the venue, that has rooms that are small and expensive. Hotels in the area within walking distance are readily available, and affordable. Parking at the venue is limited. If you are coming from out of town, it would be better to be dropped off, and leave your car parked at your hotel.

Flights to Dublin are available from the States on AerLingus, and Expedia.

Further announcements will be forthcoming.

The fair will be taking place in just over 3 weeks, so it is imperative you do your part to tell as many folks as possible, that might be interested, that the Dublin International Coin Fair is on, and the details set forth herein.

Queries re stand booking may be directed to:

Yours truly,

Del Parker

irishcoins2000@hotmail.com

+1 214 352 1475 landline office phone Dallas TX and wifi areas

+1 214 385 0724 Stateside mobile

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jdelis

Hi, in another place I read that this fair will be in Talbot hotel in Stillorgan. Is this still taking place and where?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The Fair is now confirmed for Stillorgan as under. Note discount voucher!

STILLORGAN%2BINT%2BCOIN%2BFAIR%2BFEB%2B2018%2B-%2B%2B%2BCopy.png

PLEASE NOTE SOME SLIGHT CHANGES TO THE DETAILS REGARDING THIS EVENT! THE DISCOUNT VOUCHER REFERRED TO IN THE PREVIOUS POSTING IS NO LONGER VALID AND THE TIMES HAVE CHANGED!

STILLORGAN%2BINT%2BCOIN%2BFAIR%2BFINAL-%2BCopy.png

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭MasterSun

Thanks, will the Central Bank attend?

MasterSun wrote: »
    Thanks, will the Central Bank attend?

I don't know, but an email to Del Parker will be replied to - usually by return allowing for time difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Thief in the night

Apparently another coin fair is on this Friday and Saturday 16th and 17th February at Titanic Centre Belfast .Organised by the same gentleman who runs the RDS fair every year. Many coin and Banknote dealers from Ireland and the UK. It is attached to the Back to our past genealogy show, Titanic Centre top floor.

I see that date mentioned here:

http://www.irishpapermoney.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=136

but when you go on the http://backtoourpast.ie there's no obvious mention of the Coin Fair - so typical of the shambles that is the Numismatic community on the island.

I agree, it’s extremely disappointing to say the least. I’m not sure what the problem was with the RDS, but two fairs on the same weekend cobbled together at the eleventh hour really is a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Anthony O Brien

If anyone wants a free pass for the fair this weekend pm me, I have a few available.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mec1

I understand that the show is going full steam ahead in Stillorgan. There will be another show in April in RDS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

anyone at the fair today...worth a visit tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Captainaxiom

It’s very small maybe 10 dealers

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dakan

I went yesterday and thought it was OK. As Captainaxiom says only about 10 dealers and there wasn't a big crowd. I would wonder if the dealers made any money at all. Despite that I thought there was more variety of stock (advertising tins, postcards etc.) and more lower priced items.

By the way does anybody know the name of the dealer that was at the longer back wall? Opposite Del Parker and the entrance. Youngish guy, short black hair and had a lady working the stall with him.

Thanks

It looked the smallest I have been so far in Ireland. There were some interesting dealers though, with quite a bit of stuff. It would be worth visiting in my opinion, as not many things are happening in this area.

For the first time in many years I was unable to attend the fair in Dublin this weekend, from what I’ve been told I didn’t miss much.
    Let’s hope for the sake of all, the show is back next year at the RDS or top city Centre venue.
    A proper run fair with 30 plus dealers would be a great start. Other cities can do it. Why not Dublin ? We deserve better. The whole numismatic community needs a good shake up!

Any news about the upcoming fair in April? Is there an exhibitors list?

The original Fair was cancelled. Those dealers who attended the Stillorgan Fair were attempting to ensure that there was something rather than nothing happening in February in Dublin. The April Fair is going ahead ibut no lists or anything like that at the moment.

mec1 wrote: »
    The original Fair was cancelled. Those dealers who attended the Stillorgan Fair were attempting to ensure that there was something rather than nothing happening in February in Dublin. The April Fair is going ahead ibut no lists or anything like that at the moment.

Here's a link to the relevant details: http://www.rds.ie/Whats-On/Event/36007?keyword=coin

One think I noticed is that PCGS had the April fair in their events list some time ago but now they have removed it. :confused:

jdelis wrote: »
    One think I noticed is that PCGS had the April fair in their events list some time ago but now they have removed it. :confused:

Who are the PCGS?

• Advertisement

PCGS is one of the two big coin grading companies. They have a stand in many major coin shows and events and one can submit coins for grading at their stand. I think they used to have a stand in the previous years in the February show but I am not sure since I haven't attended any of these.

Definitive details from the organiser tonight.

rds-april-2018-int-coin-fair.png

If you are on Whtytes mail list and can produce their email they sent out about the Fair at the door, admission is 3€

Del Parker is organising a fair on September 22 & 23 in Stillorgan at the Talbot Hotel.

I picked up a leaflet at a recent EXPO50 fair that the October Coin Fair is on in the RDS, Fri 19, Sat 20th & Sun 21st Oct 11am - 6pm each day. Adm 5 yoyos

mec1 wrote: »
    Del Parker is organising a fair on September 22 & 23 in Stillorgan at the Talbot Hotel.

I'm really confused now - what was this? Is Del Parker's Fair going ahead as I haven't heard a dicky bird from in recently?

41645189_1955029221229755_8141035751367245824_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=ac78c1a544e281a8a4a46c235656c148&oe=5C217B31

still-coin-final1.png

With admission prices this time!

Yes, going ahead. Leaflets left at Whytes Auction on Saturday.

Will there be another coin fair in October in RDS as well?

• Advertisement

Yes. RDS is going ahead also as usual.

Advertisement