Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opensource Data - Waterlevel.ie

Options
  • 13-01-2016 11:45pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

If it wasn't for the flooding this year, I may not have come across Water Level. I find it interesting, as it provides as close to live data as possible, on average, every 15 minutes. Has anyone ever seen this one before? I have time on my hands, so I'm working on a little project to gather data from the site and then figure out a way to provide some form of analysis, for future events.

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I presume you'll be using the API?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I'm beating around the bush somewhat by using https://waterlevel.ie/last/02/. It provides the latest data, without having to traverse the site and downloading files.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Does that have information you can't get through the API?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

It's essentially all the same data all the way back to December 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dreinzy

Let us know how you get on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Itzy wrote: »
    I'm beating around the bush somewhat by using https://waterlevel.ie/last/02/. It provides the latest data, without having to traverse the site and downloading files.

That is taking the long route to be honest. This route, you need to write a html scraper. They could change their page layout/structure at any time without notice, potentially breaking your scraper.

The API provides json and csv data which in my opinion is more suitable to use.

Downloading data in csv data would be much easier and I'll be making use of it this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    It's essentially all the same data all the way back to December 2011.

Where is the data that goes back to 2011?
    I could only find csv files that go back 5 weeks?
    Although Im only interested in temperature because I swim in some of the rivers regularly.

Where is the data that goes back to 2011?
    I could only find csv files that go back 5 weeks?
    Although Im only interested in temperature because I swim in some of the rivers regularly.

http://waterlevel.ie/last/02/ It doesn't give water temperatures though.

Advertisement