Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice needed on external 3G/4G antenna

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭heffo500

Hi

Thanks for the feedback so far, I did some more testing this evening and I attached the results.

I'm pretty happy with the results compared to what I currently have.

Can I expect it to improve with the aerial or stay constant?

I installed the aerial this evening and the results are excellent using a vodafone sim card I'm getting excellent results compared to my 2mb Eir connection:

7qGN0U8

Thanks all for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

heffo500 wrote: »
    I installed the aerial this evening and the results are excellent using a vodafone sim card I'm getting excellent results compared to my 2mb Eir connection:

7qGN0U8

Thanks all for the advice.

Using 3 sim for my antenna but I know I would get way better speeds with vf, just wondering what data you get with them?

Hococop wrote: »
    Using 3 sim for my antenna but I know I would get way better speeds with vf, just wondering what data you get with them?

I was getting around 70mb dl at 8:30 last night and it varied at times from 50mb to 70mb but mostly around 70mb.

I do live in a valley so I have no clear line of sight so I'd say that impacts my speed too. I'm going to aim the aerials more accurate tomorrow, I'll let you know if this makes a difference.

I was getting around 70mb dl at 8:30 last night and it varied at times from 50mb to 70mb but mostly around 70mb.

I do live in a valley so I have no clear line of sight so I'd say that impacts my speed too. I'm going to aim the aerials more accurate tomorrow, I'll let you know if this makes a difference.

Cheers also what deal you get with vf, they normally don't do unlimited so what is your cap?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 StephenOT

Gonna try this on the weekend. Can you explain how you went about testing with multiple providers. I'm on Vodafone but the nearest masts to me are three and eir so id like to test their speeds ideally. Any other tips would be appreciated.

I plan on getting up on my ladder where I plan putting the aerial with the phone and do a speed test with multiple providers to see which is best.

If the speed test on the phone is better than DSL I will proceed with installing an aerial and buying the router.

Can anyone advise is this a sensible approach to take?

StephenOT wrote: »
    Gonna try this on the weekend. Can you explain how you went about testing with multiple providers. I'm on Vodafone but the nearest masts to me are three and eir so id like to test their speeds ideally. Any other tips would be appreciated.

I literally went up the extension ladder to the peak and pointed the phone until the signal was best. I then ran the speed test app. I did this three times for each provider. I also did it a few times in the evening to ensure I did the test when there was peak demand.

Then it was a case of repeating the above with the different sim cards.

Also I made sure to get someone to hold the ladder as I was quite high up to see over the end gable of the house.

Cheers also what deal you get with vf, they normally don't do unlimited so what is your cap?

I current have just got the 20gb for €20 deal and set my Huawei router to a limit of 20gb so I'll try gauge my usage.

I also went into my playback settings on Netflix and limited my playback to 720p as the full HD eats a lot of data and I can live without 1080p

I plan probably to go with the Vodafone €45 a month 150gb but I want to estimate my usage first. I'm also considering trying Three too

I current have just got the 20gb for €20 deal and set my Huawei router to a limit of 20gb so I'll try gauge my usage.

I also went into my playback settings on Netflix and limited my playback to 720p as the full HD eats a lot of data and I can live without 1080p

I plan probably to go with the Vodafone €45 a month 150gb but I want to estimate my usage first. I'm also considering trying Three too

Yeah that's the killer, that data be no good to me, ( I do alot of gaming and some downloads could be up to 100gb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

set my Huawei router to a limit of 20gb so I'll try gauge my usage
    Data usage counter on router will/might not match usage counted by ISP due to dropped packets - you might easily go above cap and get charged.

Data usage counter on router will/might not match usage counted by ISP due to dropped packets - you might easily go above cap and get charged.

I think once I hit the limit I get a warning message from Vodafone and its PAYG. But thanks for the heads up.

I think once I hit the limit I get a warning message from Vodafone and its PAYG. But thanks for the heads up.

I hit the limit yesterday so hopefully I'll just be able to stay under the 150gb allowance if not an extra €10 for an extra 100gb isn't too bad. I tried a three sim card yesterday and it was woeful.

Have my antenna set up a while now but I would like to move it out a bit more as it would give a better line of sight (few trees in our house that might be blocking it a bit) only thing is I'm at the cables limit, it's 30 foot just wondering if I got a longer one like a 40 foot or a bit longer would it make a difference like losses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Have my antenna set up a while now but I would like to move it out a bit more as it would give a better line of sight (few trees in our house that might be blocking it a bit) only thing is I'm at the cables limit, it's 30 foot just wondering if I got a longer one like a 40 foot or a bit longer would it make a difference like losses?

Unless you get very high quality cable and connectors then you'll get massive losses.

For the amateur its often much better to move the device nearer to the antenna's. If you can use Power over Ethernet to power the device you can put it almost anywhere.

my3cents wrote: »
    Unless you get very high quality cable and connectors then you'll get massive losses.

For the amateur its often much better to move the device nearer to the antenna's. If you can use Power over Ethernet to power the device you can put it almost anywhere.

As in get a shorter cable and connect it closer to the router?

• Advertisement

As in get a shorter cable and connect it closer to the router?

Yep. I don't even use an antenna instead I have my 4G router mounted on the side of a telegraph pole and power it with Power over Ethernet (PoE).

my3cents wrote: »
    Yep. I don't even use an antenna instead I have my 4G router mounted on the side of a telegraph pole and power it with Power over Ethernet (PoE).

So if I was to buy a 10-15 ft cable but I would then need to use those to wi fi extenders would that sti be better than the 30 ft cable I'm using now?

So if I was to buy a 10-15 ft cable but I would then need to use those to wi fi extenders would that sti be better than the 30 ft cable I'm using now?
    Loss on local network would be considerably less(almost nothing) compare to loss on areal cable.

Loss on local network would be considerably less(almost nothing) compare to loss on areal cable.

Interesting might buy a smaller cable, any site to buy off of?

Yes you can obviously use home plugs but look up Power over Ethernet (PoE) this is where the power for the router is carried on the Ethernet cable.

What I have is a router up a pole powered by PoE the ethernet cable takes the power to the router and is connected a distance away to a wireless router set up as a wireless access point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭lukin

How important is height for an antennae? I have mine about 20 feet off the ground, I couldn't get it much higher.
    It's a Poynting XPol antennae so I don't want to put it up too high because in a storm it might come down.
    I have seen masts online that are 33 feet high but I don't know if they are sturdy enough to support a large antenna like that.

lukin wrote: »
    How important is height for an antennae? I have mine about 20 feet off the ground, I couldn't get it much higher.
    It's a Poynting XPol antennae so I don't want to put it up too high because in a storm it might come down.
    I have seen masts online that are 33 feet high but I don't know if they are sturdy enough to support a large antenna like that.
    Height in most cases needed for LOS, to overcome neighbor roof's, trees, etc.
    Somewhere in previous posts should be link to check LOS

Height in most cases needed for LOS, to overcome neighbor roof's, trees, etc.
    Somewhere in previous posts should be link to check LOS

I definitely don't have LOS,neighbour's trees are in the way.

I definitely don't have LOS,neighbour's trees are in the way.
    https://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-elevationtool.html
    instruction below map

Thanks, I'll try that.

I calculated 40 meters in elevation distance between my antennae and the mast so not a hope of me getting it up that high.
    Too bad.

I calculated 40 meters in elevation distance between my antennae and the mast so not a hope of me getting it up that high.
    Too bad.

That doens't mean higher won't work better.

I have about the same line of site as you (sfa) but higher up the telegraph pole I use gets a better signal. Difference of about 1 bar between 4ft and 10ft.

Too bad.
    Don't know if you applied elevation to your "points", this could change picture little bit.
    You not specify model, but if not mistaking, Xpol is not directional, to my understanding, as long it faces towards mast, LOS is not major factor. Of course, near by obstructions will have effect, thus height would be beneficial.
    Again, judging by my own experience with directional antenna, its "trial and error", where mast/congestion is plying main role no matter what.
    I have no LOS, latest test show ~50-90Mbps after some adjustment on direction lately, actually away from ~100% axis.

Have you located all masts in your area? Do you know(confirmed!!) which you are connecting to? As mentioned in previous posts, Cellmapper comes handy for this, but require some preparation. See website - might be your are covered by someone already.

Don't know if you applied elevation to your "points", this could change picture little bit.
    You not specify model, but if not mistaking, Xpol is not directional, to my understanding, as long it faces towards mast, LOS is not major factor. Of course, near by obstructions will have effect, thus height would be beneficial.
    Again, judging by my own experience with directional antenna, its "trial and error", where mast/congestion is plying main role no matter what.
    I have no LOS, latest test show ~50-90Mbps after some adjustment on direction lately, actually away from ~100% axis.

Have you located all masts in your area? Do you know(confirmed!!) which you are connecting to? As mentioned in previous posts, Cellmapper comes handy for this, but require some preparation. See website - might be your are covered by someone already.

The antenna I am using is this one:
    https://www.irishwireless.net/xpol-a0002
    That site looks like it could be a big help,thanks.

The antenna I am using is this one:
    https://www.irishwireless.net/xpol-a0002
    That site looks like it could be a big help,thanks.
    Requires rooted phone to participate/map masts(cells)

• Advertisement

Requires rooted phone to participate/map masts(cells)

My own phone isn't rooted, I don't really want to do it to my phone but I have an old Galaxy S6 that I can root instead.

Have a 3 sim set up with it but congestion is getting bad and wouldn't mind trying a vf one, just wondering if there is a link to set that sim up with my router, (Huawei b593)

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong thread

Have a 3 sim set up with it but congestion is getting bad and wouldn't mind trying a vf one, just wondering if there is a link to set that sim up with my router, (Huawei b593)

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong thread
    You can't set THAT sim up. You need to get VF, providing your router is unlocked

I got my antennae up a bit higher. It was 19.5 feet off the ground, it's now 26.5 feet off the ground. I replaced the 10.5 foot pole I had the antennae on with 20 foot pole. That was the highest I could get it to go because with it being such a long pole it was quite heavy. I also don't want it wobbling at the top. Because of the weight of the pole (weighs about 50 kgs I would say) I had to bolt it to a second wall bracket higher up the wall to keep it secure.
    I wasn't actually able to get it in to the wall bracket on the bottom because it was too heavy. I just bolted it on to it, there is two and a half feet of the pole lower down than the level of the wall brace. I will put another bracket underneath that and put the pole in it.
    I am not noticing a massive difference in my speeds, maybe a gain of a megabyte or two. I am still glad I did it as I needed to satisfy my curiosity regarding the difference to upload/download.

Have my antenna set up a good while now just wondering if this makes a difference, I have it set up horizontal on the pole, does that make a difference as it seems the antenna looks like it should be vertical ( basing that off the logo on it) ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭homingbird

For anyone looking for a external router i have ordered one .
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33008995315.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.11344c4doBJHlI

Also a good app from the playstore is openSignal it does alot & will help you find the best place to position your aerial outdoor router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

homingbird wrote: »
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33008995315.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.11344c4doBJHlI

Also a good app from the playstore is openSignal it does alot & will help you find the best place to position your aerial outdoor router.
    I presume it is unlocked and suitable for use with any Irish network?

Kalyke wrote: »
    I presume it is unlocked and suitable for use with any Irish network?
    Yes its unlocked as they are selling it for all over the world so i doubt they would be selling it locked . They are a very good company as i have brought repeaters of them before with no trouble . Just hope i dont get hit with customs i stand a good chance as they send it in a plain brown box .I have little or no coverage in my house but just outside my back door i am getting speeds up to 70megs download speed.
    I thought about weatherproofing my router but when i saw this i am willing to give it a try;

https://ibb.co/album/c4pDqa

I got these speeds from my 3 andriod phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Ok, the cables on my current cheapo antenna got broke so going to buy something new.....

So is this any good?

https://www.irishwireless.net/3g-4g-antennas/xpol-a0001

Or what should I be looking out for. I think I started a thread before but I cannot find for life of me.....

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ok, the cables on my current cheapo antenna got broke so going to buy something new.....

So is this any good?

https://www.irishwireless.net/3g-4g-antennas/xpol-a0001

Or what should I be looking out for. I think I started a thread before but I cannot find for life of me.....
    Yes I have one

But this is marginally better, but you have to direct it to the mast

https://www.marotec.it/en/antennas-for-modem-router-3g/611-antenna-log-mrt-8727l-for-4g-lte-3g-with-h155-10mt-cable-and-sma-m.html

Did you receive this yet?

Did you receive this yet?
    Still waiting i should have it in the next 10 day when it comes i will let you know.

Got this this morning. So far so good but will give it a good test at the weekend. Out of the box the interface menu was in Chinese. I messed up, reset the router and now the menu is in English!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

Got this this morning. So far so good but will give it a good test at the weekend. Out of the box the interface menu was in Chinese. I messed up, reset the router and now the menu is in English!

how is performance and your rough distance from 4g masts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

I had similar issue to those mentioned above. bought this antenna

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00C1DGGKC/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1

Previous was topping about 6-10 meg with 15meg overnight on 2 bars with huawei 315 4g router

Installed and aligned the antenna above and get 30meg during peak and 60 or so at night and now get 5 bars consistently.

Im on an elevated site 2.5km from mast and will have line of site or virtually unobstructed at worst

M5 wrote: »
    I had similar issue to those mentioned above. bought this antenna

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00C1DGGKC/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1

Previous was topping about 6-10 meg with 15meg overnight on 2 bars with huawei 315 4g router

Installed and aligned the antenna above and get 30meg during peak and 60 or so at night and now get 5 bars consistently.

Im on an elevated site 2.5km from mast and will have line of site or virtually unobstructed at worst

Whats the difference with this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C1DGFPS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I see the gain but what does that mean :-) :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C1DGFPS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

AFAIK one is directional while the other is omni directional.

Directional antennas have higher gain.

Omni directional model will give signal reception from more directions but gain is lower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Shefwedfan wrote: »

You need to align the one in my post, the other you dont... You get a higher gain as you are pointing straight at the mast (in reality +/- 5' makes little difference with the directional one from what I have seen)

TLDR the more expensive one will work much better when aligned than the omni directional ever will

• Advertisement
Advertisement