Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just smoked my last I hope

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

My attitude? Not appreciated? You're easily offended.

My opinion is if you're off fags 12 weeks, 18 months, whatever, and you smoke while drunk, leave it there.

People are always saying "I just had one, was drinking etc". It you do, then leave it. Don't smoke when sober. Don't relearn all the habits you've fought hard to unlearn.

If you don't agree that's cool. No need to get snarky.

I think you are missing the point entirely.

Smoking is an addiction. There is no rational thought involved. If there was we'd all just have a smoke when drunk and never otherwise! Or we'd all just quit with ease when we felt like it.

There are endless stories about how someone who was off them for weeks, months, years etc went back on them full time after one slip. If you choose not to believe those stories, or think that its somehow different for you then thats fine, but the truth is that its happened to many many people and its proof of the strength of the addiction.

IMO its better to have the mindset that I will not risk one smoke, one drag, never never never, than to think that itd be grand cos Id just stop the next day - that way lies failure!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Nah, you're missing my point.

There is room for rational thought. That thought being the same which motivated you to quit in the first place i.e. I smoked, it's disgusting, dumb and will wreak havoc with my health, I am not smoking any more cigarettes.

You're also twisting my post into something it's not.

I'm all for never etc but IF you slip, get back on the wagon immediately. Don't simply use it as an excuse to smoke again. For in my opinion it is just that. An excuse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 elites

Hi !
    Good to know that you have decided to quit smoking. My all well wishes is with you. Wanna tell you something, i hope you won't mind.
    During the quitting process people should consider the following physical symptoms of withdrawal as they were recuperating from a disease and treat them accordingly as they would any physical symptoms:
    Tingling in the hands and feet
    Sweating
    Intestinal disorders (cramps, nausea)
    Headache
    Cold symptoms as the lungs begin to clear (sore throats, coughing, and other signs of colds and respiratory problem)
    But there is no need to worry about all these, these are common phenomenon after you quit smoking.
    Congrats on you quitting and become a "NON" smoker...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 michelmo

Hi, just found this thread, 6 days without a smoke and it seems to be getting worse instead of better, tempers short and I keep bursting into tears for no reason at all. I read the Allen Carr book also have an ecig but all I can think about is smoking. The rational part of my brain knows that I'll probably feel worse if I do smoke, I really don't like to fail, but don't think I can stick it much longer. Help!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭bhovaspack

michelmo wrote: »
    Hi, just found this thread, 6 days without a smoke and it seems to be getting worse instead of better, tempers short and I keep bursting into tears for no reason at all. I read the Allen Carr book also have an ecig but all I can think about is smoking. The rational part of my brain knows that I'll probably feel worse if I do smoke, I really don't like to fail, but don't think I can stick it much longer. Help!

Hi Michelmo, congratulations on giving up, I'm in the same boat myself these days, and like you am emotionally all over the place. I just keep telling myself it is temporary, like a short illness that I can eliminate from my system in just a short while.

A poster on another thread gave what I think is really good advice in relation to these overwhelming urges: hold off till tomorrow before giving in. Keep occupied. Hopefully you will wake feeling glad you didn't give in, and with fresh resolve.

• Advertisement

Thanks, OH went off them last year he had no mood swings or strange emotional outbursts, seemed to have no problems at all other than the occasional craving and they only lasted a few weeks. Was really starting to think I was going mad, i was expecting being short tempered but not the tears, dropped my key earlier and it set me off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

24 hours without a smoke after 38 years smoking :o

Ive a whopping head ache and I'm very cranky...I'm going to say its old age :pac:

michelmo wrote: »

Yeah, I remember that stage. I went to the chemist to buy fishermans friends during it and they had none and I could have cheerfully stabbed the sales assistant!

On the 'all I can think about is smoking' - that passes. Your brain simply gets sick of just obsessing over the same thing. One day soon you will think about smoking then realise its the first time youve thought of it that day and youve been up for a while. So dont worry. Just roll with it.

I got dizzy spells as well for a while. Just go with whatever you are experiencing. It ALL passes.

Made it through yesterday! Stood outside the shop for 20 mins last night debating whether or not to buy a pack (sad I know!) but didn't give in feeling a lot better today!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tipi

l stopped smoking almost 5 months ago. l was using champix...l have tried everything for years and years and years. champix takes the edge off and you honestly dont remember indusing the day that you should smoke. only the familiar situations...breaks times getting aout od the shop door and drinking...pat that craving passes with 5 sec...lm so happy lm not a smoker anymore.
    good luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Am at almost 7 weeks off them now :)

Cant really believe I am doing it :)

Still off them! Managed a night on the beer and everything 1st time I ever had a pint without a fag!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭cordangan

3 months off the smokes now. Gained 1stone. Next project is to lose weight. Seems endless:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

cordangan wrote: »
    3 months off the smokes now. Gained 1stone. Next project is to lose weight. Seems endless:(

well i need to gain a few pounds so can you put on weight if you give up smoking ?

i eat like a horse and cant put on weight and i think its the smoking, either that or my metabolism is really high

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Don't worry about the weight yet. Make sure you fix the smoking issue first: for good. Don't be hard on yourself, giving up is really difficult and you've done a great job so far.

If you're not already an "exerciser", the best thing to do is to join something regular, like a class or something that's on at the same time every week rather than relying on your own willpower to get up and go (the willpower should still be focussed on the fags!)

Don't forget, losing weight is easier than giving up cigs...

Don't forget, losing weight is easier than giving up cigs...

I hear this bandied about a lot and tbh, I think giving up the smokes was much much easier than losing weight ever is!

Stopping smoking is a one off, torturous few days with lots of fast benefits to encourage you, like teeth being whiter, food tasting better etc...

Losing weight - whenever I take up a new exercise I get so hungry that I end up eating more than I burn and gaining weight!!!

My entire life is a constant of wishing to lose a few lb, and I do, but they come back on, then Ive got to do it again, etc...

You only have to stop smoking once.

Maybe its easier for people with a lot of weight to lose but I have a constant battle with 10+ lb going on over years, compared to a wimpy few day battle with the smokes!!!!

Would you believe that I tore a hamstring at the weekend playing football. That shags my exercise plan. it could take months to come right. Will be too heavy by then to exercise

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

Would you believe that I tore a hamstring at the weekend playing football. That shags my exercise plan. it could take months to come right. Will be too heavy by then to exercise

tearing your hamstring you could recover from that within 3 weeks
    you'll be able to jog then but if i was you i wouldnt play football for a good 2-3 months
    if it happens again while injured you wont be able to walk at all for months without very harsh pain on your hamstring

samething happened to me was out of the football season over it was the last 4 months
    but i felt normal after a few weeks

remember to stretch !!! :D

saiint wrote: »

tearing your hamstring you could recover from that within 3 weeks
    you'll be able to jog then but if i was you i wouldnt play football for a good 2-3 months
    if it happens again while injured you wont be able to walk at all for months without very harsh pain on your hamstring

samething happened to me was out of the football season over it was the last 4 months
    but i felt normal after a few weeks

remember to stretch !!! :D

Something not quite right since last February as I could not stand for long without severe lower back pain. I visited the physio and got lots of exercises and told to walk a lot. Was coming right and I was tackled from behind and stretched awkwardly to break my fall. Felt something snap. Had to drive home using the right foot to clutch .....not recommended. Just about walking now after 5 days. Very sore and tender still.

what is it about Xmas that lowers the resolve. if I was offered a fag last night I might just have taken it. Nearly 8 months now since the last smoke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Dead Man Walking

gave them up on this thread about 6 months ago and failed miserably after a few days. using gum.

Two days off them now using an e-cig kit I got in the shopping centre. so far so good, but tobacco it ain't

Don't know what to say really. I stopped so now it sounds like i am lecturing you and found the ideal solution. You have choices. you choose to try to stop. you failed.so what. is that it?why are you even trying again? I told you you will not save money. you will feel sh1te. you will smoke till you die probably. That is your first choice. Now you tell me you stopped again...for how long? Day 3 is the worst I promise you that. stop the gum and all those crutches after a week , you know you cannot continue forever. So what if you fail again.you will stop because you keep trying. now start logging in here every day and tell me / us what you are going through. do not stop writing even if you fail...shur hey we do not even know you so tell us what you are going through all the way. that is your other choice. I tried 100 times or more ......this time it has worked so far...but who knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Dead Man Walking

Nah I don't think you're lecturing me man, but as they say, there's nothing worse than an ex smoker :P

Three full days now off them. I'm gonna stick with the e-cig thing for now as I haven't really been climbing the walls like the last time. I'm on the strongest nicotine dose so haven't had to deal with withdrawal as such. Again, I'll stick with these for now and reduce strength as I go. Anyway fair play on staying off them cordangan and thanks for the encouragement.

Did ye succeed now that it is over a year later?

I know 2 people on those electronic nicotine gadgets and neither can kick this habit. are they successful at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Orlaw3136

I was using one before I quit - they made me feel ridiculous and very much like a hopelessly weak addict, which is not how I choose to see myself, or to be.

I'm smoke free 2 weeks on Champix - zero cravings.

I have prior experience with Champix when I had cravings while using it. This time around is very different - due to my mental situation I believe.

2 years ago I stopped smoking cold turkey style. I am convinced that it is the only way to stop. I see the smoking shed full of e cig smokers now and they are not giving up or cutting down on nicotine. I know 5 different people that have tried e cigs and failed. I know nobody that succeeded with e cigs. Are all the hopefuls been conned?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭opo

2 years ago I stopped smoking cold turkey style. I am convinced that it is the only way to stop. I see the smoking shed full of e cig smokers now and they are not giving up or cutting down on nicotine. I know 5 different people that have tried e cigs and failed. I know nobody that succeeded with e cigs. Are all the hopefuls been conned?

I think so.

Having tried the ecigs and loads of different NRT, I never found a good substitute.

I am of the (personal) belief that nicotine is just one of the addictive components of tobacco. Others are either added or inherent in tobacco. I suspect the former.

I am 50 days off today :) and still convinced that cold turkey is the most effective path to success. (A nod to Allen Carr TBF)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 JWRyan

No we are not be conned. Different things work for different people.

I have previously tried gum, patches, allen carrs the easy way, cold turkey, hypnosis, nicoret inhaler and some of them multie times nothing worked for longer than a few days. Always really struglled.

Now off them eight weeks and for once in fifteen years have no desire for them. I am vaping though. When i started vaping had no intention of quitting, only wanted to try them to see what they would be like. I now have more energy than ever, great sense of smell and taste and all the other benefits of quitting. I know I will never go back unless this new trend of bashing e cigs continues and they are eventually banned or regulated to death.

They may not work for everyone but no method does, cold turkey least of all and that is proven. Just because they don't work for all does not mean anyone is being conned, it just puts a bad attitude out there which isn't needed.

Thats my rant, sorry. Just feel I owe so much to them.

• Advertisement

JWRyan wrote: »
    No we are not be conned. Different things work for different people.

I have previously tried gum, patches, allen carrs the easy way, cold turkey, hypnosis, nicoret inhaler and some of them multie times nothing worked for longer than a few days. Always really struglled.

Now off them eight weeks and for once in fifteen years have no desire for them. I am vaping though. When i started vaping had no intention of quitting, only wanted to try them to see what they would be like. I now have more energy than ever, great sense of smell and taste and all the other benefits of quitting. I know I will never go back unless this new trend of bashing e cigs continues and they are eventually banned or regulated to death.

They may not work for everyone but no method does, cold turkey least of all and that is proven. Just because they don't work for all does not mean anyone is being conned, it just puts a bad attitude out there which isn't needed.

Thats my rant, sorry. Just feel I owe so much to them.

You owe those e cigs nothing. You have found a nicotine replacement therapy that works for you and you have almost all the benefits of giving up. Will you go all the way and give up the nicotine is the question? Tha is the hardest part and I am concerned that the substitute is only a stop gap for eventually returning to smoking as the addiction is never conquered. The fact you have made a decision to quit which is YOUR choice is brilliant but will you go the extra mile? All I am saying is that I know nobody that has stopped with e cigs. Are they better than smoking , definitely but will you give up nicotine, well I am not so sure. Hope you write back soon and prove me wrong.

Advertisement