Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Wrestling News & Rumours 2019 Thread ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Or a novel concept, how about letting someone who's never won the Rumble win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The belief is the 2019 winner will be a
    repeat winner

After last year going with the 2 people who the fans wanted to win, it could make sense for them to then go with 2 safe options like Orton and Nia Jax or Charlotte

• Registered Users Posts: 23,114 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Read that Dakota Kai tore her ACL. Her and Tegan Nox are a tag team called Team Kick (I think?) and they both have had massive leg injuries within a month of each other.

That is some rotten luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

J. Marston wrote: »
    Read that Dakota Kai tore her ACL. Her and Tegan Nox are a tag team called Team Kick (I think?) and they both have had massive leg injuries within a month of each other.

That is some rotten luck.

Yeah team kick. Ah feck it anyway. I saw the picture of her in the ring with the medical crew around her and it didn't seem good. The only thing going for her and Tegan Nox is they are both young, but still horrible to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

A number of guys had their last matches with RoH at the weekend and had their curtain call

Also during their match, the Bucks ignored their C&D to do Too Sweet. And at one point a sledgehammer came into play. So a couple wee jabs at WWE.
    Of course people were surprised Nick could even stand for the call after his table spot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Will they end up in WWE or will they start their indie fed?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Will they end up in WWE or will they start their indie fed?

I hope they stay away from the Dumpster fire that is WWE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I hope they stay away from the Dumpster fire that is WWE.

I don’t watch any other promotion so wouldn’t mind if they did to see what the fuss is

• Registered Users Posts: 60,338 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well I do know if the Bucks turn up in they WWE they will have to take a Superkick party from the Uso's because well because it's the WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I do like the elite but I'll never really get the cult like following they have were they think they can do no wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

sky88 wrote: »
    I do like the elite but I'll never really get the cult like following they have were they think they can do no wrong

I’d veer almost the opposite way in that I don’t like them that much as a unit but I totally see how they click. People love the meta humour and references, fans essentially want to feel part of the action and the wink-nod humour of The Elite enables that. Now personally I’d be fairly cynical of it myself, Cody in particular is as arrogant as any wrestler and can’t really present as “just like you guys” when a quick glance at his Twitter says he’s anything but, plus there’s a lot of people who do that kind of humour better where it genuinely works as actual comedy instead of just ‘goofy’ (our own Angel Cruz for example). But they’re the most famous people doing it so they’re reaping the benefits.

leggo wrote: »
    I’d veer almost the opposite way in that I don’t like them that much as a unit but I totally see how they click. People love the meta humour and references, fans essentially want to feel part of the action and the wink-nod humour of The Elite enables that. Now personally I’d be fairly cynical of it myself, Cody in particular is as arrogant as any wrestler and can’t really present as “just like you guys” when a quick glance at his Twitter says he’s anything but, plus there’s a lot of people who do that kind of humour better where it genuinely works as actual comedy instead of just ‘goofy’ (our own Angel Cruz for example). But they’re the most famous people doing it so they’re reaping the benefits.

Codys reaction to what Jordan devlin said about them taking up too much time when they were over in ott I think spoke for itself. Also his speech was so pandering it was dx at their worst

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

That'll be really tested in 2019 with the promotion which seems inevitable. I can't see what they are going to offer a large audience a particular issue now the lack of unsigned, known talent available.

ERG89 wrote: »
    That'll be really tested in 2019 with the promotion which seems inevitable. I can't see what they are going to offer a large audience a particular issue now the lack of unsigned, known talent available.

Even with the supposed billionaire behind them think it's same guy who owns Fulham the only way to really make money for the owners will be tv money but seems to be a tough climate for any company not named wwe right now

The problem with wrestler-led stuff like this is that the real winners tend to be the wrestlers themselves. Look at WCW giving Hogan etc creative control, or even CM Punk when WWE gave him his big push after the pipe bomb: the wrestlers' personal situation usually changes dramatically but the end product isn't the great beyond that was promised. I'll give them a shot and the benefit of the doubt, for sure, but I can't help but shake the feeling that the lads may be being too ambitious here...

leggo wrote: »
    The problem with wrestler-led stuff like this is that the real winners tend to be the wrestlers themselves. Look at WCW giving Hogan etc creative control, or even CM Punk when WWE gave him his big push after the pipe bomb: the wrestlers' personal situation usually changes dramatically but the end product isn't the great beyond that was promised. I'll give them a shot and the benefit of the doubt, for sure, but I can't help but shake the feeling that the lads may be being too ambitious here...

I mean as wrestling fans I would love if it worked out as wwe need proper competition. Tbh I think Vince misses not having wcw there to compete with.

I do find it fascinating on how they will book themselves in the company if it goes and would they get a backlash always being top guys ala trips and many many others who've done it

I mean as wrestling fans I would love if it worked out as wwe need proper competition. Tbh I think Vince misses not having wcw there to compete with.

If Vince wanted competition he wouldn't have signed so much talent that they don't know what to do with, tried to block companies using MSG and start NXT UK. They want all the money made in wrestling no different from the 80's. It's a large part of the reason they are basically untouchable.

I do find it fascinating on how they will book themselves in the company if it goes and would they get a backlash always being top guys ala trips and many many others who've done it

While I find reading about different approaches people have to booking themselves interesting, I find it hard to invest in as a fan once I know. For example, I couldn't get into Cody/Nick Aldis last year knowing Cody was booking himself to have a heroic win. I was conscious it was a really well executed match, and look it clearly worked when you see the crowd reaction, but it just couldn't hook me knowing that Cody gave himself that 'career-defining' moment.

Even if someone books themselves to lose, it can come across wanky and indulgent. Triple H putting lads over in big matches used to be class and mean something, but think of how hollow it became every year as he grew older when it was "hot young prospect vs Triple H" at WrestleMania. Reigns and Rollins both beat him, but you couldn't feel like "Wow, they just beat Triple H! That's amazing!" in the same way you'd feel if they beat, say, Taker. You're just very conscious of the fact that Triple H was behind it himself and probably patting himself on the back throughout thinking, "I'm such a good guy, passing the torch to the next generation"...while actually just inserting himself into a match or situation nobody particularly wanted or needed him to be in. I'd fear The Elite would take a similar approach. Cody reminds me of Triple H actually in that sense: I can't honestly tell you any 'dream matches' I could think of that'd involve him, but I know for a fact he sees himself as a main event level talent. Sure remember when he left WWE and put out a list of matches he wanted? It was a cool tweet and way to market himself, but I don't think I was alone in not clamouring to see any or all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Lots of reports online that 3 of 4 members of Being The Elite (The Bucks & Cody) turned down a 7 digit multi year deal with WWE recently.

I know the Bucks are making wheelbarrows of cash in merch. They are also collectively talking of making their own fed in the new year.

Interesting times

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Lots of reports online that 3 of 4 members of Being The Elite (The Bucks & Cody) turned down a 7 digit multi year deal with WWE recently.

I know the Bucks are making wheelbarrows of cash in merch. They are also collectively talking of making their own fed in the new year.

Interesting times

I always take those stories with a pinch of salt especially with the elite having such a strong relationship with Meltzer etc

• Advertisement

Leaking their own made-up stories to appear like stars.

WWE's tag division is in the shítter at the moment (Well, Raw's at least) and I think with Gallows and Anderson they had their hands burned with bringing in a "cool" western tag team who did well in Japan, so I don't see them offering Young Bucks $1 million+.

But I do have an irrational dislike of them so my opinion is coloured by that.

They all definitely got significant multi year offers. Whether it's 7 figures who knows but when you look at their merch sales, links to a new promotion and bargaining position it's plausible. WWE have stupid money now & if the talent negotiating new deals don't look for pay increases they are morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,349 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It’s also cheaper to give them 7 figure deals and tie them down and ruin their star power than let them off running their own promotion and taking the risk (albeit a tiny one) of them actually making a success of it. They’ll never be able to compete with WWE, that much goes without saying, but I reckon the petty side of Vince would gladly spend a few million dollars to squash any chance of another promotion coming along.

If you look at what they’re doing with the plans for regional performance centres and NXT shows, it’s clear they want to dominate the market in every major wrestling territory, and potential markets too. They can’t really hurt NJPW as much as they’d like to, and RoH will always have a steady stream of talent passing through to keep themselves relevant, but they can squash potential brands if they so wish. If they did offer such deals to the Elite recently, it’s almost surely linked to them trying to get a new promotion off the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,338 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Bucks/The Elite would probably have to give up the rights to there merch sales to the WWE.

So a 7 figure offer would probably more to do with projected merch sales by the WWE machine than wrestling ability and expected push.

They would be buried and Vince makes money off the merch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

I don't think a buried act is selling a ton of merch. You look at WWE's buried tag teams - you might see a single B team or Revival shirt or Ascension shirt for every 20 Bullet Club ones at a WWE show.

To my mind, the Bucks would be no different to any other hot act Vince brings in. They'd start out hot, Vince would see what he doesn't like about them & beat them, and they'd wind up in the middle of the pack. I can't see any act that's guaranteed 750k+ a year being overtly buried though, particularly if they're moving merch.

Monokne wrote: »
    I don't think a buried act is selling a ton of merch. You look at WWE's buried tag teams - you might see a single B team or Revival shirt or Ascension shirt for every 20 Bullet Club ones at a WWE show.

To my mind, the Bucks would be no different to any other hot act Vince brings in. They'd start out hot, Vince would see what he doesn't like about them & beat them, and they'd wind up in the middle of the pack. I can't see any act that's guaranteed 750k+ a year being overtly buried though, particularly if they're moving merch.

Yeah, this. Vince responds to merch sales and quarterly segment figures. It’s why Daniel Bryan is champion now when he easily could’ve validated his initial thoughts on him, but Bryan now has a track record of moving the needle so he’ll always be remembered. It’s why Becky didn’t just get completely forgotten about, even when they weren’t pushing her, and why Balor won’t either. But the likes of Gallows and Anderson were never big merch movers (aside from being involved in BC) so couldn’t hold any reasonable claim to deserving a big push when the alternative is a proven commodity in New Day. If Young Bucks came in and made WWE tons of money, they’d get used well (and sure it’s not as if the tag-team division in WWE has a big long queue they’d need to get in the back of).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,872 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/report-finn-balor-to-receive-a-major-push-in-wwe

Surprised at that but will it be like his push before he got injured In 2016

Saw a stat recently that said Finn has wrestled the most matches this year in WWE.

Always kinda thought that they were reluctant to push him again after his injury so maybe the push rumours are coming from him showing that he won't break down and a reward for somehow staying very popular despite shíte writing and having little to no character.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Imagine no build to it, and Demon Balor enters the Rumble and wins it

Now that would be unreal

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Imagine no build to it, and Demon Balor enters the Rumble and wins it

Now that would be unreal

Then picks to face Daniel Bryan at WM

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement