Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Hedge is this ..?

Options
  • 17-12-2018 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

I am a novice when it comes to gardening and need some tips !

We have cyprus hedges in the front at the moment and are looking to get them removed but still have a hedge which lends privacy and is not as huge as these .

The Cyprus hedge are in the house from before and it looks like they haven't been taken care of since 70's . I've attached a picture of the cypress after the summer trim.

Does anyone know which hedge are in the 2nd pic enclosed . Are these green privet ..?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

RaulDublin wrote: »
    I am a novice when it comes to gardening and need some tips !

We have cyprus hedges in the front at the moment and are looking to get them removed but still have a hedge which lends privacy and is not as huge as these .

The Cyprus hedge are in the house from before and it looks like they haven't been taken care of since 70's . I've attached a picture of the cypress after the summer trim.

Does anyone know which hedge are in the 2nd pic enclosed . Are these green privet ..?

thanks
    Can't see any pictures!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭RaulDublin

I have attached a pic to the original post and hopefully you are able to see..

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Accidentally

I have attached a pic to the original post and hopefully you are able to see..

Not the best images, but the one on the left looks like privet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭standardg60

Could be buxus (box) aswell but yes a close up pic would help.

Could be buxus (box) aswell but yes a close up pic would help.
    closeup attached

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,112 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Honestly, we're not much wiser! Get reasonably close to a twig, hold the camera till it focuses itself then take the pic. I don't think its privet, it possibly could be escallonia judging by the criss-cross growth style of the twigs. Its not in great condition, its outgrown itself.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I don't think it's box any more, either, based on the last pic, it seems too light a green.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

I want to say lonicera but I don’t think I’ll bother, a better picture would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Looks like Escallonia to me, but the photos are hard to see on my phone.

Is this pic any better ..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭macraignil

Is this pic any better ..?

Looks a bit clearer alright. I'm going to guess it's box.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭moceri

If it has a leaf shape like this (1 cm to 2 cm long) close up, then it is box.

Advertisement