Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GMT's - explain to me

• 13-12-2018 3:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭

I'd like a GMT and I was looking at the Steinharts as an example - but I'm trying to figure out the bezels on them. Some of them look like dive-watch bezels, some don't, but - are they supposed to be able to move? Or what's the story?

- For example the Steinhart Ocean one GMT has a ridged dive style bezel and it says in the description "adjustable second time zone using turning bezel and watch hand".

But the vintage GMT bezel is smooth edged and that line is not in the list of functions.

Does the bezel need to move in a GMT? Are they unidirectional as in a dive watch? What's the function of the bezel if movement is optional on a GMT?

Main reason for asking is I actually use my dive watch bezels ALL the time as hourly timers. Every time I stick something in the oven or a pot on the stove I set the bezel to time it. It's a function I really miss when I wear any other style watch (short of a chronograph obviously.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭thelizardking1

fixed bezel = 2 time zones
    directional bezel = 3 time zones

The bezels on Steinhart's Ocean One GMTs (not the vintage) are all unidirectional like the dive watches.

The bezel of the Rolex GMT Master (to which the Steinhart pays hommage) is bidirectional.

A unidirectional bezel is unidirectional purely to prevent extending your dive timing by accident.

Steinhart and various other homage brands use a unidirectional bezel as a cost saving measure so the only difference between these and the dive watches are the movements and bezel inserts.

Some GMT watches have the GMT hands fixed to the main time (on a 24 hour scale). For these type a rotating bezel is used to tell time in 1 extra zone.

Other GMT watches have independently adjustable GMT hands. Incl the Vintage GMT you are looking at. You can point the GMT hands wherever you want so a fixed 24hr bezel (or dial markers) allows one other time zone.

Some have both a rotating bezel, fixed 24hr markers, and a rotating 24hr bezel. This type allows 3 time zones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

fat bloke wrote: »

Main reason for asking is I actually use my dive watch bezels ALL the time as hourly timers. Every time I stick something in the oven or a pot on the stove I set the bezel to time it. It's a function I really miss when I wear any other style watch (short of a chronograph obviously.

im gonna steal that idea i never thought of that, thats brilliant :D and i shall use it on my Steinhart GMT.

as for Steinhart all i can say is they are an excellent quality watch you wont regret it . i have the black red version ( coke version if you want to call it that ) and i love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭fat bloke

So am I right in saying this is a fixed bezel?

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/ocean-vintage-gmt-neu.html

@spannermonkey, is yours the 39 or the 42? I wonder how the smaller one wears? My other two main watches are a seiko diver (42) and a Richard LeGrand Odyssea (41).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

That's a fixed bezel and has an adjustable 24 hour hand instead, adjustable bezels normally have a serrated outer edge for your fingers to grip.

• Advertisement

hi5 wrote: »
    That's a fixed bezel and has an adjustable 24 hour hand instead, adjustable bezels normally have a serrated outer edge for your fingers to grip.

Ah, right. That's a pity. I love a good bezel I do. It's like a fidget toy for me :o

Ah, right. That's a pity. I love a good bezel I do. It's like a fidget toy for me :o
    Steinhart rotating bezels are quite hit and miss in terms of tightness, up/down play etc. Some are fine, some are very poor.

When the Ocean One 39 launched most early owner complained about bezel slop.

eg: "The most sloppy bezel action of any of my divers at any price range"
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f275/39mm-ovm-out-now-exclusively-gnomon-4588715-post44844775.html#post44844775

From an honest seller: "Sloppy bezel action, as most users reported"
    https://www.mywatchmart.com/listing/329498-fso-gnomon-exclusive-steinhart-ovm39/

Really???!

Ah balls, I'd hate that:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I got an Ocean One 39 in August and my bezel is perfect. My experience was that the bezel movement was quite stiff at first, but it has loosened up after a time. It is definitely not sloppy in rotation and I do use it a lot. A thumbs up from me at least. Perhaps they improved it over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

So am I right in saying this is a fixed bezel?

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/ocean-vintage-gmt-neu.html

@spannermonkey, is yours the 39 or the 42? I wonder how the smaller one wears? My other two main watches are a seiko diver (42) and a Richard LeGrand Odyssea (41).

mine is the 42 . wears perfect for me . and my bezel was tight if anything rotates perfectly

• Advertisement
Advertisement