Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Good points re emissions.

FG are traditionally the party of big farmers. So, those turkeys won’t vote for Christmas.

Agricultural emissions are a worldwide problem. With an ever-increasing human population, how do we square the emissions/food circle?

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Agree with the points re. agricultural emissions.
    Still think VM should rein in her emotions a bit.
    It's never good when the lobbyist becomes the story.
    Chewing up senior politicians may be satisfying but its the long game she ought to be playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

elperello wrote: »
    Not sure if you heard all of that segment.
    Usually I would agree about Verona Murphy but she sort of lost the plot there.
    Talking about gas masks on cows etc.
    I think E Ryan was take aback myself rather than caught out.
    I don't always agree with him but he is well briefed and speaks with passion about environmental issues.

(just noticed this was in the S O'R show so not sure why it turned up here)

She made the point that they fitted nappies to the horses in Killarney so why couldn't they do the same for cows and E Ryan replied that the gas from the cows came from the other end hence the gas mask remark.
    I was surprised myself as I thought the problem came from the rear end of the cow.
    Other than that I thought she ran rings around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

was a 45 minute interview with a guy who might be Ireland's football manager really necessary? , I switched over for a half an hour and he was still there .. he was struggling , could she not have cut it short ...and she's still going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Oops69 wrote: »
    was a 45 minute interview with a guy who might be Ireland's football manager really necessary? , I switched over for a half an hour and he was still there .. he was struggling , could she not have cut it short ...and she's still going on.

As I've said with any of Marion's sports guests, they would be far better suited to being interviewed on the whole afternoon of sport where they are starved for guests and starved for something to fill out the show. Are we to believe now that Marion is a fan of the LOI in the same way that she is a "massive" supporter of the Irish rugby team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭icebergiceberg

Oops69 wrote:

Much as I admire Kenny I had to switch off as it took him ages to make a point and sometimes took him ages to say nothing at all.

disgustingly Marie antoinette- esque , and facetious comment there from Marion regarding the Paris protests , she really has lost touch with normal people, she should resign from this programme .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

"People don't need big salaries to be committed"

That's a different line than Fergus Finlay was spinning when he was pulling 100K out of Barnardos.

Goes unchallenged as usual, as Marion prepares another round of tea for her D4 pals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,725 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

"People don't need big salaries to be committed"

That's a different line than Fergus Finlay was spinning when he was pulling 100K out of Barnardos.

Goes unchallenged as usual, as Marion prepares another round of tea for her D4 pals.

Plus the newspaper columns.

Ask yourself how many X politicians have ended up in charge of charities ?

Nice little soft landing area for a lot of them.

disgustingly Marie antoinette- esque , and facetious comment there from Marion regarding the Paris protests , she really has X lost touch with normal people, she should resign from this programme .

Save me trying to find it Sixty. What was the comment and what "normal people" has she "lost touch" with.

Ta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Great interview on the state of Irish football with Niall Quinn. Very measured and informative. Some people have been suggesting looking closely at the Iceland model for years, makes so much sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Great interview on the state of Irish football with Niall Quinn. Very measured and informative. Some people have been suggesting looking closely at the Iceland model for years, makes so much sense.

He'd make a great Chief Executive.

*Not that Irish soccer needs a new one or anything like that! :D:D

could they not have saved this yabeering for a sport's programme , after all theres enough of those on RTE....
    And now he says John Delaney is a 'statesman almost ' ... jesus wept.

Couple of things to take from that. He really does want the job with the fai and what he said about delaney is exactly the same thing he might say about bertie ahern, wasn’t meant as a compliment in any shape or form.

Couple of things to take from that. He really does want the job with the fai and what he said about delaney is exactly the same thing he might say about bertie ahern, wasn’t meant as a compliment in any shape or form.

He called him 'a statesman almost ' , a statesman to me is someone of wisdom and dignity who commands respect. In fairness to Quinn I think his mouth works more quickly than his Brain at times .

He called him 'a statesman almost ' , a statesman to me is someone of wisdom and dignity who commands respect. In fairness to Quinn I think his mouth works more quickly than his Brain at times .

How well do you know Niall Quinn? From the years I’ve followed his career he’d be fairly astute and measured in what he says. And everything he said about Delaney there was measured, he was damning him with faint praise. He could have spoken what was really on his mind but ultimately that would achieve nothing. Everything else he spoke about in that interview was a sharp criticism of John Delaney without actually naming him.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

I can’t help feeling Quinn has an agenda. For him to not once mention the restructuring of the player development system already over the last 4 or 5 years means he’s either ill-informed or being dishonest. Some of the changes he proposes are already being put in place! What’s his agenda? I don’t know. Best case scenario is he’s angling for a senior FAI gig. Worst case scenario is he’s trying to make a few quid by lobbying for tax breaks. Either way, I don’t believe his motives are as selfless as he makes out.

I can’t help feeling Quinn has an agenda. For him to not once mention the restructuring of the player development system already over the last 4 or 5 years means he’s either ill-informed or being dishonest. Some of the changes he proposes are already being put in place! What’s his agenda? I don’t know. Best case scenario is he’s angling for a senior FAI gig. Worst case scenario is he’s trying to make a few quid by lobbying for tax breaks. Either way, I don’t believe his motives are as selfless as he makes out.

I think he’s definitely interested in an fai job, whether ceo or whatever, and what would be wrong with that? If he feels he can contribute something positive then why not go for it? What’s wrong with such an “agenda”? I suspect he’ll proceed very cautiously as I think his high profile would not endear him to certain people in abbottstown.

He mentioned an article in the Irish indo on the under age system, talked about good work being done so I think it did get acknowledged to some degree. Don’t know where your coming from on the tax breaks, quite a leap to take there I’d say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,338 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

"That'll be very good for Biarritz" sez Marian. I suppose we know where he second house is now.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    "That'll be very good for Biarritz" sez Marian. I suppose we know where he second house is now.

:eek:

Second house!

Uhmmmmm …………………higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Fair enough. My comment on the tax breaks was a bit cynical - I retract it. You’re right that there’s nothing wrong with him seeking to make what he believes are positive changes. I just think it’s disingenuous for him to imply that there’s no changes in youth development being undertaken, and could potentially undermine those changes because he’s convincing people that nothing is being done. I think the new national youth leagues were mentioned by him only to criticise them. Any discussion on youth development in football that doesn’t mention the name Ruud Dokter is not a discussion worth having. I’m just saying that we shouldn’t take what he says as gospel just because no one likes John Delaney

I see where you’re coming from up to a point. I don’t think anyone is suggesting Niall Quinn is some sort of messiah or that he has all the answers. But I think he articulates the issues facing Irish football extremely well and if you did happen to be looking for alternatives to the current regime, then how many better could you come up with?

No question Ruud Dokter has turned out to be a very good appointment, but I wouldn’t dismiss that interview just because his name didn’t crop up. I’m sure Quinn would acknowledge it if it was put to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

The level of scaremongering by RTE on this issue is ridiculous. And I honestly don't think Bertie Ahern is the right man to recognise whether there will or will not be an economic crisis. Neither him nor RTE were prepared to tell us about the ACTUAL economic cliff edge that were on in 2008.

great , off you go to Papua New guinea Bertie , hope you have a good time... don't be rushing yourself back now , its a long journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

I really enjoyed the solid 2 minutes of someone crinkling paper directly into the mic.

Top quality broadcasting.

Something that somebody might say to me that I might laugh at, and if they said the same to Shona Murray she might take offence to it. Yeah, I think that is a pretty accurate assessment of Shona Murray.

This organised office party lark should be just abandoned and probably will become too costly for employers to insure themselves against allegations made as a result of an office - party .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

lawlolawl wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the solid 2 minutes of someone crinkling paper directly into the mic.

Top quality broadcasting.

That was Bertie eating his King Salt n Vinegar.

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Actually Biarritz Airport is good for Biarritz.

And I would hazard a guess, Marian has any number of properties spread here there and everywhere. Years back she bought one of the Irish Life Mespil Flats and famously sued the Irish Independent when the suggested purchase was not open and transparent with due probity etc. a settlement was made by the paper with publication countering their former assertion. So she would be a lady to buy property assets as a way of investing arnings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭roroliam

This mornings interview with Jessica Harrington was an absolute joke.

roroliam wrote: »
    This mornings interview with Jessica Harrington was an absolute joke.

Didn't hear it - what was wrong with it? Is it worth a listen?

Right bunch of know all on at the moment.

Don’t tell me that’s McWilliams saying he predicted Brexit.

Stuffed shirt central here this morning folks.

Then that geezer talking about the Gatwick train..... what a bunch... all you can say.... what a bunch.

It is McWilliams...and he has gone into ‘profound’ mode..

This has to improve rapidly or the Bren will give the off button a tap of a small hammer.

Jeez those females on Marian are doing my head in.

Talking at a mile a minute like they were under some kind of attack,and then in comes in McWilliams with the staccato delivery.

Jeez.... why am I still listening.

Must be challenged in some way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Marian not back until the "30th September". Sounds about right.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

Jeez.... why am I still listening.

Must be challenged in some way.
    You’re still listening because you’d have nothing else to talk about if you stopped.

davef1000 wrote: »
    You’re still listening because you’d have nothing else to talk about if you stopped.

Ehhh...bit bitther for a Stephens Day Dottser?

Bit broke up here.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Ehhh...bit bitther for a Stephens Day Dottser?

Bit broke up here.:cool:

You seem in good form. Have you been to the chod bin to pass the old ‘Yuletide log’? Was a bit bound up myself this morning after the overindulgence yesterday. Too much porter and Bombay mix.

You seem in good form. Have you been to the chod bin to pass the old ‘Yuletide log’? Was a bit bound up myself this morning after the overindulgence yesterday. Too much porter and Bombay mix.

Left a firm solid load after me Stephens morning John.”Nothing but net” as they say.

Porter and Bombay mix is a bad combo John, usually loosens and thins out the load though.

You didn’t eat a full bag of ‘Tropical mix’ by any chance. Them cashews are hoors for blocking the pipes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

:confused: I have no idea what is going on in this thread anymore :(

• Advertisement

EmptyTree wrote: »
    :confused: I have no idea what is going on in this thread anymore :(

Sincere apologies empty, we drifted off course, I’m sorry.

Back on track now, I hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Marian featured on Bowman’s Sunday this morning (Mum had Radio on). They played a clip from a Bunny Carr quiz show called “Stop the Lights”. Marian was taking part and each round as far as I could make out was worth 10p!!!

honeybear wrote: »
    Marian featured on Bowman’s Sunday this morning (Mum had Radio on). They played a clip from a Bunny Carr quiz show called “Stop the Lights”. Marian was taking part and each round as far as I could make out was worth 10p!!!

It was called ‘Quicksilver’.

Stop the Lights was the catch phrase used to stop the time clock if you didn’t know the answer .

(dad had the wireless on):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

It was called ‘Quicksilver’.

Stop the Lights was the catch phrase used to stop the time clock if you didn’t know the answer .

(dad had the wireless on):D

I’m too young to know😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

It was a classic show and those taking part were unscreened and some weeks left without even 10p! :D

And here's an episode from YouTube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Does anybody wear headphones in that studio? Surely they must hear the bloody newspapers rustling and realise that we can hear it as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Marian ain’t too happy that aul noddy Robinson is getting a kicking over her Dubai jaunt

Does anybody wear headphones in that studio? Surely they must hear the bloody newspapers rustling and realise that we can hear it as well!

How many years experience does Finucane have and yet she can do nothing about this. Could they not give the people tablets with the newpapers on them.

"There are some people who wont be satisfied with anything"

What a trite, populist thing for Peter Boylan to say. Some people actually have a problem with terminating babies lives, Peter.

You'd wonder how it is even possible for Suzanne Lynch to consider herself a journalist when she brings that much bias to the subject she is meant to be reporting objectively about.

Did anybody hear the remark that Peter Boylan made about Marian Finucane and the smoking ban. I wouldn't say she liked that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement