Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ream or not to ream?

Options
  • 11-12-2018 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hi all,

I just ordered a new hausken moderator for my .223 Tikka tac.
    The gentleman i spoke to said he would not bother getting the bush reamed just use away without it.

Im just wondering would it be ok to use the mod without the rear bush in place.

Has any one got an opinion on this.

All advice and info would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Tikka391 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I just ordered a new hausken moderator for my .223 Tikka tac.
    The gentleman i spoke to said he would not bother getting the bush reamed just use away without it.

Im just wondering would it be ok to use the mod without the rear bush in place.

Has any one got an opinion on this.

All advice and info would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

A lot of people use it without, if its too tight of a fit, it rubs off the barrel and strips the blueing off the barrel over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

I would personally reamer it. I have one wrap of black electrical insulating tape on the barrel where the bushing contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Tikka391

solarwinds wrote: »
    I would personally reamer it. I have one wrap of black electrical insulating tape on the barrel where the bushing contacts.

Thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭zeissman

Tikka391 wrote: »
    Thanks lads

It is better to use the bushing but it should not touch the barrel when fitted.
    What I do is fit the mod without the bushing and measure the diameter of the barrel where the bushing will be.
    I then have the bushing reamed out about 1mm larger than the barrel diameter.
    I have done this with all my mods and none have marked the barrel. The bushing will give the mod a bit of extra support if you happen to fall over with the rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Damoeire33

zeissman wrote: »
    It is better to use the bushing but it should not touch the barrel when fitted.
    What I do is fit the mod without the bushing and measure the diameter of the barrel where the bushing will be.
    I then have the bushing reamed out about 1mm larger than the barrel diameter.
    I have done this with all my mods and none have marked the barrel. The bushing will give the mod a bit of extra support if you happen to fall over with the rifle.

Good advice there.

• Advertisement

Damoeire33 wrote: »
    Good advice there.

Yea thanks lads.
    I was on to my local gunsmith he is only charging me about a fiver to get it done so i think be silly not to.

Thanks again lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Have 4 Hausken mods here, 223 308 & 300wm. Never used the bush.

edi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

Have one for my trg and never use it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

As they have said they have no real function other than making it look nice and keeping dirt out of the cavity.
    I used to just stick them in the lathe and cut them with a boring bar but i was doing 150 or so at a time in various barrel diameters id leave about 1mm between the barrel and the bush.
    One thing to remember though is to always take the mod off when putting it in the safe and to stick it on a radiator for 30mins, As when moisture like condensation mix with the unburnt powder residue etc.. it forms a very corrosive liquid which will absolutely destroy your barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭zeissman

I always take the mod off as soon as I'm finished shooting before putting the rifle back in its case.
    The mod goes on the radiator and the rifle gets a clean before putting them away. I also make sure the case is dried out before using it again.
    I don't like rust on my guns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Very good advice on opening the mod if possible when you get back home after the rifle has been out in the cold to allow moisture to dry out.
    I have the bushing on my wildcat evo my thinking is that if for whatever reason the mod comes one or two threads loose it can wiggle up or down and possibly have a bullet to baffle hit on firing which would not be plesent!

Thanks for info lads.
    Great advice there.

Advertisement