Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget Binoculars

Options
  • 01-12-2018 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm looking for a decent pair of binoculars, doesn't have to be anything particularly fancy. Just want them for helping to ID common Irish species, won't be using them for anything too tricky.

My budget would be around 100 euro.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

+1 on this.

Go for something like 8x42.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

forgot to mention - when we bought ours a few years ago, we were able to call out to the BWI office in kilcoole (open on weekdays only) and handle a few different sets. i'm not sure if that's still an option. but it was very useful to get advice from niall about them at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Niall is very good and very knowledgeable...BWI is a very good option. I also like Conns a lot, their service is second to none, they let you try the gear and explain the basics if needed.

You can't go wrong with any of the Opticron or Hawke shown on the BWI website, at that price. 8x42 will give you better low light performance, everything else being equal.

I personally like a wide field of view and in that area ofter 8x32s outperforms 8x42, however I don't know if I would consider fov for a budget pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭vandriver

gzoladz wrote: »
    Niall is very good and very knowledgeable...BWI is a very good option. I also like Conns a lot, their service is second to none, they let you try the gear and explain the basics if needed.

You can't go wrong with any of the Opticron or Hawke shown on the BWI website, at that price. 8x42 will give you better low light performance, everything else being equal.

I personally like a wide field of view and in that area ofter 8x32s outperforms 8x42, however I don't know if I would consider fov for a budget pair.
    Do Conn's have anything in the 100 quid range?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

my brother picked up the Olympus DPS-I 10x50 Binoculars from Argos for €120 and is very happy with it.

They also carry the 8x40 version for about €30 cheaper.

vandriver wrote: »
    Do Conn's have anything in the 100 quid range?

They usually have good quality stuff, but they should not start too far from that. Their website should have all the details.

Uttings is another good place to check, but it is online only so you need to know what you are getting.

my brother picked up the Olympus DPS-I 10x50 Binoculars from Argos for €120 and is very happy with it.

The 8x40 is a good option for the price and it has an outstanding field of view. Also lighter than the 10x50 hence easier to keep steady.

My first pair was actually an Olympus similar to that and I loved it, but then once I moved to more serious gear I could not go back as the difference is significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭batistuta9

These are on amazon for £60 & 55

Advertisement