Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Matthew Stephens

• 20-10-2017 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Has anyone here purchased their engagement rings from this place? Any positive or negative feedback would be much appreciated.
    Saw a few that are nice online but really don't want to waste time going to limerick if it's not a reputable place.
    Going to check out Voltaire and loyes too but some of my friends weren't too impressed with Voltaire due to not being shown the actual diamonds while looking at rings.
    We are in the west but will go to Dublin to see those two places. Any recommendations of similar places this side of the country!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Narsil

I always get my jewellery from Topaz on Upper Gerald Griffin Street Limerick. It's run by 2 professional jewellers and they are amazing. It's basically cutting out the middle man of a shop and getting your rings professionally made and to measure! I've gotten many things made and fixed over the years from them and I can't say enough good things about them!

We went into Matthew Stephens to see what styles we liked and jotted down the details (which came to a total of €2500 for 2 rings, one platinum with diamonds, one palladium). Walked straight up to the lads in Topaz (who were shocked at the MS prices) and they promptly quoted us €1460 for the same:D!!! Bonus was they engraved for free and mine was made to measure (as I've an awkward engagement ring). All same quality!

• Company Representative Posts: 80 Verified rep Voltaire Diamonds: Seamus

Hi Cant26,

Many thanks for the mention, we look forward to welcoming you to Voltaire Diamonds. We have a selection of loose diamonds to show you when we meet, we also have a large selection of engagement rings in our stock should you choose one on the day we meet.

If have you have a bespoke design in mind our workshop can easily handmake for you.

We look forward to meeting you.

Many thanks again
    Seamus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Another recommendation for Topaz. The guy literally put a selection of diamonds on my wife's fingers so she could compare the different carrats side by side. I was expecting the ring search to take ages, but they were brilliant. After finalising what we wanted, they had it ready unbelievably quickly. Also, what we got in Topaz compared to another diamond ring purchased in the Crescent in Fields was far better value. (Strange to use value considering the cost of diamond rings :-) )

Edit. We also got a wedding ring made in Topaz to match the engagement ring. Just as happy with service for that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Another plus one for topaz. We got our wedding rings there, my husbands white gold plain ring was approx €400 cheaper.

My engagement ring was a very high setting with a split band so really hard to get a wedding ring to go with it. Went to a good few shops including Matthew Stephens and nothing worked properly. The jeweller in topaz took one look at the ring and said it would need to be custom made. He explained about the high setting etc and how my wedding ring would need to be lined up with the engagement ring.
    It was also cheaper than the other wedding rings I'd half liked

In saying that, the shop is also the workroom so you don't get the 'engagement' experience' you might get in other jewellers. Nothing at all wrong with it but it's best to know so your not expecting a plush shop. I'd also advise having a good idea of what you want as I don't think he has a huge range on hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Topaz sounds like the type of place I'm looking for. Have zero interest in the engagement experience. Would rather get more bang for my buck so to speak than be paying towards a pretty shop.
    Also saw some lovely rings on Keanes website. Don't know why I'm focusing on Limerick but unfortunately the places that I love in Galway are the likes of hartmans and cobwebs and my budget won't go far there! thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Another vote for Topaz here. Got engagement ring and both wedding bands made here. Great quality and service but also cheaper than many other places

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod note: money84, your posts have been deleted as they violate our charter. Please read the charter before posting again, specifically the bit that says
    If you want to post a recommendation, criticism or review of a wedding related business, you must have either:

a MINIMUM of 20 posts
    OR be an active member of Boards.ie for OVER 2 months

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

I just wanted to come back to this thread to update and thank all the posters for their suggestions.

We Took a trip to Matthew Stephens to try on some rings as I knew from their extensive Facebook marketing that they had a good selection. I knew I would not be buying there. They were very nice to deal with but I just don’t really buy into all the fanfare that goes with the whole “experience” and from all the research I had done I felt their rings are overpriced. Was also a bit surprised that they had no rings over the .9 carat.

Thank you to everyone who suggested Topaz. We sourced the diamond ourselves and brought it to Patrick in topaz. He was an absolute gentleman. Very refreshing to deal with no nonsense and right down to the job at hand.

I won’t lie, going from the glitz of Matthew Stephens to a small work shop type premises made me the tiniest bit uneasy to start with and I had a wobble at the thought of handing over the diamond, but there was no need to worry. I ended up with a beautiful ring. I absolutely love it.
    It was valued at three times what we paid and while this is irrelevant as I will not be selling the ring, it is nice to know that we got value for money.
    I would highly recommend topaz and when we finally get around to getting married we will be going back to topaz for our wedding bands.

Advertisement