Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long does it take to settle a claim

Options
  • 27-11-2018 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Can anyone give me a rough timeline on how long it takes to get a settlement, from time of submitting a car insurance claim?

Basic background:

Major damage done to parked car, no personal injuries.
    Other driver is insured and accepted liability as there are witnesses.
    Car will probably be written off as the body damage is not repairable.
    Car still driveable.

Any other advice on lodging a successful claim would be appreciated, especially around getting the best price for the writeoff, as I wasn’t expecting to have to buy another car so soon. I would love to have it done and dusted by Christmas, is that even possible? Can I do anything to speed things up?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

If everything is as you say, it will be fairly quick. If the car is written off, the investigating engineer will do some research on the pre accident value. You should get an offer withim the week. If you are happy with the figure, you will receive payment in around 7 days. If you dispute the pre accident value, it will take as long as it takes for you to convince the insurer with supporting evidence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Thanks Eggs For Dinner. I just want to get on with it now. I contacted other drivers insurance company today and am waiting on a callback from them, as the claims dept were busy. The only obstacle is that the guard said he might try a different tack when his insurer contacts him re the claim and try to pin some liability on me. I was parked up on the kerb at the time, no yellow lines but road could be considered narrow enough. Everyone parks in the same way at the location.

Can I present my own research on same spec cars for sale on Carzone or similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

A parked car is never going to lose a liability dispute. Carzone etc are good starting off points for research but remember, they are priced by sellers as opening offers and they usually accept less to do the deal. That figure is the true market value for a cash buyer, as you will be

Advertisement