Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Question] Is it rude to reach out to authors?

• 26-04-2018 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

There is one author of non-fiction books whom I really really respect and would like to send my compliments. If I had the author's contact details online (the author has an official website), would it be rude to contact him directly? Should I do this through a publisher instead?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

If somebody makes their contact details public I would assume they would like people to contact them, especially if they have something nice to say.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

kenji_ie wrote: »
    There is one author of non-fiction books whom I really really respect and would like to send my compliments. If I had the author's contact details online (the author has an official website), would it be rude to contact him directly? Should I do this through a publisher instead?

Unless he's very strange he would love you to contact him like this. It's only rude if you're taking issue with what they've written.

Authors also love amazon and goodreads reviews. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

They make their living from readers buying their books, so they should be open to contact at least that doesn't interfere with their private lives.

So email, social media etc ... go for it.

My brother wrote to Senator David Norris after he read his book - A Kick against the Pricks - he wrote him a letter ! - which is actually good these days, cos vast majority of people will email/use social media.

He replied to him ! - a lovely letter that he keeps in the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

I emailed an author once. I complimented her and asked her a few questions. She never got back to me. Mind you, it was Jane Austen.

Only the last sentence is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Das Kitty wrote:
    Unless he's very strange he would love you to contact him like this. It's only rude if you're taking issue with what they've written.

Das Kitty wrote:
    Authors also love amazon and goodreads reviews.

And how does Kitty know?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

bobbyss wrote: »
    And how does Kitty know?

Insider knowledge :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Our daughter was enchanted by S F Said's book, Varjak Paw.
    She got me to email him, and he was gracious enough to reply to her, and came across as friendly and entertaining.
    So yes, drop them a line.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

My husband is a writer and he is so chuffed when somebody contacts him about an article or book. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I sent an e-mail to Lars Mytting complimenting him on his book, Norwegian Wood: Chopping, Stacking, and Drying Wood the Scandinavian Way.
    My interest in cutting down trees and chopping them into firewood is nil, but the book is interesting, with many human interest angles.

The book was a big hit, selling in the hundreds of thousands. He was an author, the subject was not familiar to him, and he wrote a nice book.

He got back to me the same day and thanked me, and was very cordial.

Advertisement