Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three or Vodafone?

Options
  • 14-08-2018 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭

Seeing a lot of good results for Vodafone here and three seems to be not as bad as it used to be!

I've had three many moons ago and it was a bit useless, so since then I have moved to eir on a 50Gb plan and everything is very good. Solid connection up and down and no funny business going on, Only problem is the data limit being 50Gb!

It's just not enough anymore, so I'm wondering if it's worthwhile swapping to three with a Huawei b525 or even vodafone with their Huawei B528s?

I presume the b525 is better since I can use it with my current external antenna setup without a t9 adapter + it has more features. I also run a LAN from my current the b593 to another router in the house, so that's a big + for the b525

Here's my eir result with my current setup - a b593s and external antenna on the roof

hpLc5C9.png

This used ot be about 20-30Mb but dropped off a lot lately. Consistently too.

Here's a result from my three hotspot on my phone via wifi on a laptop

eX3LlI2.png

Not that bad given the setup and time of day.

But yeah, my question anyway was is it worth switching back and giving three another go with the updated router? It will be used for phones, tv, laptops, tablets, streaming and online gaming. About 8/9 devices. Does three work ok with Gaming?

I don't mind paying a little more for Vodafone if I get an amazing speed, even with less data. Do they use carrier aggregation?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Both use Carrier agg but you won't see it everywhere, mainly big sites that were late to get 4G and and really really busy areas (Dublin Quays).

Buy your own device then use whatever service works best from month to month. Three 20E/28 days is unbeatable in some areas, dud in others that are oversubscribed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I am in Dublin, just in a weird pocket that can't get BB. up to 1 Mbps on the line.

I'm 3km from a google data centre which is the icing on the cake

Anyways! I went for the 30eu 750gb with the free huwaei b525 router. Figured I'd give it a try with that massive data limit. I have the payg offer on my phone, but happy to just set up the bb and leave it.

Mixed results so far, and I'm trying to test it at different times of the day when I can to see what the difference is. So far, it's pretty decent with an external antenna into the 4g+ router in the attic, and then a cat 5 cable into the main router in the house. The router seems an ok upgrade on the old reliable b593.

I think there's taller tree's or leafy trees in the way than there used to be since the old eir reliable signal dropped to 1-2 bars. The new 3 router with 4g+ get's 2 solid bars of 4g or 4g+ so it seems worth the upgrade for now at least.

I'll give it a few tests over the next week or so, I've 14 days to figure it out in case I return it!

Do Eir offer 4g+? I can't find any info on it.

There's a few devices connected to the b525 at the minute, so give or take a few mb, but it's not that bad for a peak time
    7557908454.png
    If I can bump it up to three bars the service almost doubles

eir with 3 bars of 4g on the b593
    7557892821.png

Are you using omnis or have you refocused your antennas?

Using an omni directional antenna, but moved it around for it's best position. I get 2/3 bars out of 5 and it switches from 4g to 4g+ when it feels like it!

Three still never pings as fast as eir but maybe you get a public ip on eir? The data seems to be handled slightly differently on three, and three is always just a few ms slower.

The download speeds are currently usually above 10Mbps most of the time, I got 40Mbps up/down last night on three which was the best result I've ever had.

B2Ia3Yj.png

eir
    ecdTKGX.png

Three does wildy fluctuate compared to the more solid eir connection, but the speed the three is capable of is almost 2/3 times more when it wants to!

Bars are close to meaningless. RSSI/RSRP. Plus activates upon downstream activity. Upstream isn't aggregated, just down.

If you aren't at full reception directional antennas may be better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Also, with three, you get a public IP, if you use the "3internet" APN opposed to the "3ireland.ie" or "3broadband.ie" APN.

/M

ED E wrote: »
    Bars are close to meaningless. RSSI/RSRP. Plus activates upon downstream activity. Upstream isn't aggregated, just down.

If you aren't at full reception directional antennas may be better.

Interesting! there seems to be a constant "+" alright when streaming so that makes sense. I may look into getting a different antenna in the future, especially if the service deteriorates, but I think it's quite reasonable so far

APN already set to that thanks (Y)

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭lotas

Just to hijack the thread: I am trying to get a PAYG SIM for mobile data in the car. Already have the 30pm/750GB option from Three... Vodafone say their 20 quid for 28 days is limited to live and wap APN... anyone know if this is actually the case? As for modems, if you where interested in changing, the Netgear LB2120 is a very nice one. Got one the other weekend, and happy with it. my writeup is here.

Advertisement