Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First time author

• 02-06-2018 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Ok, after a lot of toiling, I'm just about finished my book. Any one know where to go now? Agent? Publisher? Self publish? Anyone? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

You can publish the book yourself but you have to pay do it. The problem with it though is if you do get it published, for every book you sell, you'll only make about 50 cent from each book, unless you sell it through Amazon or something yourself. Theres an option to sell it on Amazon, you upload your manuscript and choose a cover or sell it as a kindle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Creative Writing

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

Congratulations on finishing your book. It's a marvellous achievement and knowing that you did it will stay with you for life, even if nothing further comes of it.
    The world of publishing is very competitive and the fact that you ask about next steps suggests your next step is to do a bit of research to prepare yourself. Check out the courses and seminars available on writers' sites like writing.ie, irishwriterscentre.ie and creativewriting.ie. There's plenty of good books out there also but nothing beats hearing it from an industry expert.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

winnik wrote: »
    Ok, after a lot of toiling, I'm just about finished my book. Any one know where to go now? Agent? Publisher? Self publish? Anyone? Thanks in advance

Well done first of all.

Have you gone through some form of editing process yet. There's some members here that have gone through the traditional publishing process and others that have self-published that can advise better than me on that end of things though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

What genre is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Robert J Power

Hi, congratulations on finishing your first book!

I would suggest you don't even consider self publishing unless you can commit to having a structural edit and proofread done on your manuscript - which can be a costly process. There's a lot to learn about the self publishing world. I'd suggest listening to a few podcasts (Creative Penn is very good) and doing some reading.

As suggested below, attending a course with Writing.ie, Irish Writes Center or Big Smoke might help you decide what path is best for you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

What genre is your book? What length? What's your target market?

Some genres can be submitted straight to a publisher, some should go to an agent.

How much work have you done on your novel? Has it had a structural edit? Has it been beta read?

Typically, it takes three months to write a first novel, and a year to polish it to where it might be suitable for publication.

You can self-publish, but if you do, you are responsible for all costs, including editing and cover art and promotion. However, the chances are that your book needs more work than you will give it, and you'll end up with a book that will only sell to friends and family, which means that if you approach a publisher later, you have a sales record, a bad one.

Advertisement