Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heating a mancave shed

• 02-07-2020 9:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭

My son is converting a small block built shed (about 2m x 5m) into a mancave for him and his mates and most of the work is done with electrics to be finished at the weekend.

I am just thinking about some type of heating in this shed, roof is insulated, walls are not but they are about 20 inches thick so not too worried about that and there is no damp.

I was thinking of putting in some type of small electric radiator - are these a waste of time / hard on electriciaty?

I have a stove I could put in, but wanted something that might be better at keeping the temperature up during the winter.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

Pretty much any electrical heater will cost you dearly on your bill.

You might have to think about dampness when the place is warmed with heat cycles and moisture.

Stove or a waste oil burner might work but I don't know for sure.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,830 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Overhead electric radiant heater

Similar to this :
    https://s.taps4less.ie/PIE/EU-CMKIT--B.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Yeah low or medium frequency infrared heaters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,561 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Given the occupancy, you will need some ventilation so maybe look at a small MHVR unit that would compliment the IR elec heaters

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Assuming it's not connected to house so you cant just put in an extra wet rad ?

If not , infrared electric or air to air heat pump, but I'd try infrared first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I was using this in a block built garage about three times the size with attic insulation. It was positioned so that I was directly in front of it. It was very nice and warm. You do need a certain amount of clearance in all spatial dimensions to use it safely, which will be the case with most/all medium frequency infrared heaters.

https://www.herschel-infrared.co.uk/product/california-2000-watts-black/

I since moved it to the patio where there is no shelter and it was higher up. It's not really fit for purpose there so I will move it back once i find where i put its brackets.

Advertisement