Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recruiting Beginners

• 17-09-2003 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭

Just wondering how the various colleges go about Freshers Week or Sports Expo or what ever ye call it. Active membership throughout the year ect.

I know in UCD there used to be a 1week Sports Expo for the Clubs, and then a Freshers Week for Clubs and Socs. So basically you had 2 weeks to recruit.

Now they are combined into a Freshers Expo, for 1 week.
    The Sports Center has set a minimum fee of (5 pounds) for clubs a few years ago, because clubs were charging cheap at the Expo and got lots of members and hence a large grant, and most of the members wouldn't show up.
    So the higher fees, ment the clubs would get a lot more money from members joining, and that 1st years would only join a few clubs and would be more likely to go and get their moneys worth, so to speak.

So at the moment, UCD have a 1week Expo, 7euros to join, and they get ~140 members, and up to christmas they have anywhere between 30-50 people how show up at least 1once a week.
    From Jan to Summer that becomes 15-30 which is as good as any non-major sport in the college, only big ones like soccer, GAA ect. would keep massive membership.

Maynooth on the other hand is completely different,
    We have a 1 day Expo!, all clubs and socs only charge 2euro to join, but we get ~100 members.
    About 40/50 show up the first week or so, and by the end of October that drops to 15-20 coming once a week.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

I'd say DCU would be more like Maynooth there... Though we're doing something slightly differnt this year.

We have been asked to set something up during Orientation Week. Just to basically get our name out there etc so people can see we exist. This will either involve setting up a target to show too to 1st years or running around acmpus like the bow wielding maniacs we really are! :p

I've heard that our fee will be about €4 this year. We have a Clubs and Socs day where all Clubs/Socs set up a table in our Student Centre-the Hub and take memberships.

As DCU is very computerised they've come up with a new computerised system for joinging clubs n socs as far as I know. This means that people CAN'T join at a training session. They join in our Student Centre.

It's all a bit confusing at the moment but it sounds interesting. Saves a lot of bother for us etc.

We got about 100 members last year which was good for our first proper year. Our grants don't depend on numbers though, from what I know, so that's a great help.

Dunno how we'll do on numbers this year though. Since the system has changed and the price has doubled there'll be quite a lot less people joining for the sake of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Turin

From what I know about the new system in DCU, any potential recruits can join the club at any time during the year at the Information point in the student center. The will be given a form to fill in which will be triplicated. One pice is the student's reciept one is for the clubs and socs committee and the last piece is for the Club them selves. All this info is added to a main line data base and is then linked to the students own home page!

Halenger is right, the price is now fixed at a minimum of 4 euro but the club/ soc can charge over that if they wish.

And I say we DO run around with our bows next week!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭shock

I say we try and get some elf costumes for next week so we can really look like the insane people we are.

Advertisement