Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunbed fan

Options
  • 04-11-2019 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭

I've only used sunbeds a few times for the vitamin D benefits ( Megasun 7900) and I only use them for 5-6 mins at a time. I've never been burned before but I got burned when I used one on Saturday. I was trying to change the audio track and I turned the fan up, could this have caused it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

And here I feel bad when I forget to slap on a bit of SPF15 moisturiser in the morning.

These vitamin D supplements are cheaper than a tanning session and come without the skin cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I wouldn't be a fan myself, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

And here I feel bad when I forget to slap on a bit of SPF15 moisturiser in the morning.

These vitamin D supplements are cheaper than a tanning session and come without the skin cancer.

Modern sunbeds are safer than earlier models when they're used for short sessions. I don't absorb it from the supplements (high quality d3 version). I messed with the controls because I couldn't see through the glasses properly and upped the levels more than they usually are.

https://www.grassrootshealth.net/canadian-study-finds-tanning-salon-sunbeds-effective-raising-vitamin-d-levels/

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/tanning-let-the-sunshine-in-2325862.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Seanachai wrote: »
    Modern sunbeds are safe when they're used for short sessions, this is backed up by scientific studies.

No, just no. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Life’s better with a tan. We should be seeing a spike in sun related deaths in the coming years. Personally, don’t think it will happen. Ofc people die of skin cancer caused by sun beds but i’ve Seen some figures that show that even quite regular use of them only causes likelihood of cancer to increase by a very small percent.
    Stopped using them for a few reasons. Personally, no need to be tanned during winter months in Ireland. It’s cringeworthy and takes the shine off a summer glow. Mood was too contingent on going. Genuinely loved the few minutes and the feeling afterwards but would rather decent skin long term rather than fleeting benefits. Still though, the odd trip isn’t gonna kill you(more than likely)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭pgj2015

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/10057258/sunbeds-double-cancer-risk-women-disease/

Sunbeds pelt skin with ultraviolet (UV) rays, which are often stronger than the midday Mediterranean sun - 20 minutes on a sunbed is equivalent to four hours in the sun. The UV radiation causes melanin to be released in the body, which gives skin a tan, but also causes skin cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Take vit d supplements instead..dont get cancer..win win

Advertisement