Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toxic attitude

Options
  • 08-07-2017 1:51am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭

So I was on reddit the other night and I have seen a thread critiquing boards.ie members attitude. Perfect example taken from reddit

real life

Person A: My car got clamped yesterday.

Person B: ****ing clampers. What a bunch of ****.

boards.ie

Person A: My car got clamped yesterday.

Person B: Serves you ****ing right for being parked somewhere you shouldn't have. YOU GOT EXACTLY WHAT YOU DESERVED. And now you're moaning about it you whingy fúcker. (Post was Thanked 53 times)

It seems no matter what you will post there will be always someone trying to disagree with you or put you down and it is almost always the first post, it is exactly the reason why I spend more time on reddit instead of boards.

The other most common reason people said for leaving the boards.ie was the mods. Every thread gets locked, no opinions are allowed and massive micro management by mods. The excuse is that boards is a private website and can't allow unwanted opinions yet reddit can???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,467 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Context is important, did you park across a lifeboat access point in the middle of an emergency or park in an apartment block with 1.2million free spaces?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

So many forums here, especially advice ones that I wouldn't go near at all, load of people making themselves feel good by pontificating and telling the OP what they are doing wrong or interrogating the OP to find out the 'full story' blah blah, a lot of threads are just poison. Everyone thanks each others posts and then just repeats the same thing, so you end up with twenty posts of 'you are a bad person OP (20 thanks)' before they can even reply

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Toxic attitude, good name for a band

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Synthol wrote: »
    It seems no matter what you will post there will be always someone trying to disagree with you ?

If everyone just agreed on everything...what would be the point??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

The attitude on boards is awful. Someone posts looking for help/advice and they get jumped on immediately with people looking to score points
    So if Reddit is worse then God love Reddit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

You know what I don't get? People who moan about Boards...on Boards. Like there is someone holding a gun to their head and making them post here...or they think the world will somehow stop revolving if their special brand of snowflake were never seen or heard of on social media again.

I don't like Reddit's layout - otherwise...meh. If it ever gets to the point I'm starting threads to bitch about one site and big up another, shoot me...and if I completely miss the irony in my own post about whingy fúckers, shoot me twice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭Synthol

If everyone just agreed on everything...what would be the point??

Any deviation from mainstream is attacked immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I find that the people who contribute decent posts out number the people who jump in with a semi-informed dig at the OP (or at least garner more of my attention).

You know what I don't get? People who moan about Boards...on Boards. .

And people who moan about Ireland.... In Ireland. Surely they could move.
    Man Utd Fans who criticise Man Utd..... Man City is just up the road.

Ach, the whole point of boards is to discuss. You dont have to be impressed all the time.

So many forums here, especially advice ones that I wouldn't go near at all, load of people making themselves feel good by pontificating and telling the OP what they are doing wrong or interrogating the OP to find out the 'full story' blah blah, a lot of threads are just poison. Everyone thanks each others posts and then just repeats the same thing, so you end up with twenty posts of 'you are a bad person OP (20 thanks)' before they can even reply

Absolutely, there is no point asking for help as the people on boards will make you feel bad about yourself. The best example I can remember was the motors forum thread where a a person was asking for help because he didn't display his nct(even though he had it) and got fined, and as you would guess it, the first page of the thread was filled with posts condemning the op and telling him to pay the fine. In the end the op got the fine dismissed as it was unwarranted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Synthol wrote: »
    In the end the op got the fine dismissed as it was unwarranted.

I got a good laugh out of that thread, actually :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

I somewhat agree. People on here take the whole devils advocate thing to ridiculous levels.

Compared to how most Irish people act on real life, boards posters tend to be a lot more bitter, paranoid, and misanthropic. Makes me wonder if people are genuine or not, or are they possibly bottling things up all the time. A foreign poster recently said he feels the Irish reputation for friendliness is due to fake friendliness and that we will just pretend to be nice and then talk bad behind the person's back and I have definitely found that to be true in workplaces here. I personally think we are a bitter bunch but we feel like we can't be honest about what bothers us so we drink to drown it out and complain to everyone except those responsible, and posting online is part of that. I've found myself doing it since joining boards, just being disagreeable for the sake of it. I even disagree with myself.

You know what I don't get? People who moan about Boards...on Boards. Like there is someone holding a gun to their head and making them post here...or they think the world will somehow stop revolving if their special brand of snowflake were never seen or heard of on social media again.

I don't like Reddit's layout - otherwise...meh. If it ever gets to the point I'm starting threads to bitch about one site and big up another, shoot me...and if I completely miss the irony in my own post about whingy fúckers, shoot me twice.

If nobody complained then there wouldn't be a change. If nobody said anything about gay rights then there would have never been a referendum. If nobody complained about the nuns owning the new hospital that is being built then they wouldn't have dropped it. Ridiculous comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

you think the office cares? sure they got so sick of reading negative feedback that they closed it off

everything is graaaaaannnndddd.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

And people who moan about Ireland.... In Ireland. Surely they could move.
    Man Utd Fans who criticise Man Utd..... Man City is just up the road.

Ach, the whole point of boards is to discuss. You dont have to be impressed all the time.

Moaning about the country you live in =/= which social media site you choose to frequent...besides, if someone's dissatisfaction of life in Ireland is summed up by whining "Why can't it be more like Canada, I like Canada more, I barely stay in Ireland cos they're just not Canada...Canada is so awesome and Ireland is just poo"...surely rather than expecting the country to morph in Canada, the answer is moving? Genuinely confused...

Not so much on the move from Old Trafford... :pac:

Noveight wrote: »
    I find that the people who contribute decent posts out number the people who jump in with a semi-informed dig at the OP (or at least garner more of my attention).

After a while you start to get some helpful answers but first page is almost always saying you are wrong or questioning you, and when a post has 20 thanks, you feel like giving up and start questioning yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible

F

This kind of thing reminds me of that republic of telly "You know you're Irish when" skit :pac:

The Irish like to have a good moan

you think the office cares? sure they got so sick of reading negative feedback that they closed it off

everything is graaaaaannnndddd.

This thread will very likely be as well due to the massive micromanagement of every single thread by a few mods.

Moaning about the country you live in =/= which social media site you choose to frequent...besides, if someone's dissatisfaction of life in Ireland is summed up by whining "Why can't it be more like Canada, I like Canada more, I barely stay in Ireland cos they're just not Canada...Canada is so awesome and Ireland is just poo"...surely rather than expecting the country to morph in Canada, the answer is moving? Genuinely confused...

Not so much on the move from Old Trafford... :pac:

I'll be honest here fella. I've no idea what you're talking about.

Maybe that says more about me than you, I probably missed the point you're making or the social media/Canada metaphor. But my point was simply that you can be on boards and still have the right to criticise boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

But my point was simply that you can be on boards and still have the right to criticise boards.

not any more

• Advertisement

not any more

"Should" have the right.

not any more

There were so many threads and posts in the feedback thread that were about mods or any other negative thing about the site that they had to close it down and pretend nothing is wrong and now you need approval before posting lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

^^^ F**king priceless! It's just like " Rate Your Solicitor ", isn't it?

Advertisement