Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

get out your breakfast-rolls

Options
  • 06-07-2017 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

breaking news; the building boom is back

get out you wheelbarrow, your trowel, your steel cap boots,

and don't forget your shovel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TheBrinch

I can barely contain the excitement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Every society and economy needs builders and developers - it's a vital function. No one has lost more than builders and ordinary tradespeople who simply pursued a fruitful career path in exchange for their contribution to society (ie what everyone aspires to do). As an orphan of that industry (who lives his parents whom also lost their livelihood in the crash), I can assure you that nobody is pleased about the world we find ourselves in today and history repeating itself due to political failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,950 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

It's so long since I've seen a Dyna Crew Cab I nearly forget what they look like, when I see my local forecourt bumper to bumper with Crew cabs I'll know the boom is back.....not until then mind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

As someone who is trying to engage a builder to build a house they are actually hard to find and building prices are on the up because of it
    1) Apprenticeships have been virtually no existent for the last 10 years
    2) A lot of them moved to Oz and Canada

Only good thing about the recession was it weeded out a lot of the shoddy ones but they'll be back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Trying to get a plumber for small jobs? Forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

You know the boom is back when you arrange to meet a contractor to get a quote for some work you need doing on the house and they don't bother to show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I know round us plumbers, sparks and chippies are all flat out and many don't bother quoting for local work as they have big jobs on in Dublin.
    Was talking to a chippie and he had no time to do local work as he was working on a 90 unit student accommodation apartment in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

_Brian wrote: »
    I know round us plumbers, sparks and chippies are all flat out and many don't bother quoting for local work as they have big jobs on in Dublin.
    Was talking to a chippie and he had no time to do local work as he was working on a 90 unit student accommodation apartment in Dublin.

Are they also driving new crew cabs, taking their jetskis out at the weekend and firing their change in the bin after buying their breakfast roll?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Looking at the Breakfast Roll Index in The Economist, having spent years with a sliver of bacon and a skinny sausage we are now on full power
    2 Sausages
    2 bacon
    2 puddings 1 black one white
    Fried Egg
    Hash Brown
    Onions
    Mushrooms
    Ketchup/ BBQ or both

washed down with a half litre of filling station coffee- 4 sugars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Or an electrician. "Out the door pal" is all ya get, "won't get to you for over a month".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Maybe rurally, in Dublin you can get a plumber for a 1 hour job no problem.

The reason you cant get them in the sticks is that once you factor in the call out cost and time involved getting there they'll have to charge a rate you wont pay for a small job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Ah the Irish building boom… when any kind of standards go out the window.

We can't build them quick enough so just fire them up.

Quick to the gold rush before it ends.

We won't be there when it goes up/installed/sold blah blah blah.

Kind find shît yo do any small jobs/ small jobs get stretched out to months/never finished.

Yes the Irish building boom…

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Breakfast rolls are soooo last boom.
    Breakfast wraps is the thing now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Baps.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Are they also driving new crew cabs, taking their jetskis out at the weekend and firing their change in the bin after buying their breakfast roll?

One who lives near me has a speed boat and third car at the house is a Nissan sports car imported from Japan just for weekend spins.
    Boom is definitely back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Looking at the Breakfast Roll Index in The Economist, having spent years with a sliver of bacon and a skinny sausage we are now on full power
    2 Sausages
    2 bacon
    Fried Egg
    Hash Brown
    Onions
    Mushrooms
    Ketchup/ BBQ or both

Onions on a breakfast roll? Are you on drugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

2 Sausages
    2 bacon
    Fried Egg
    Hash Brown
    Onions
    Mushrooms
    Ketchup/ BBQ or both

I heard the BRI basket of goods has been updated now.
    Avacado in. Mushrooms out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

memphiz wrote: »
    breaking news; the building boom is back

get out you wheelbarrow, your trowel, your steel cap boots,

and don't forget your shovel

Great news. Needless shoe box apartments here we come. Smarmy 16-17 year olds making loads of money and having a car , telling his mates who are either doing the leaving cert or going to college that they are wasting their time , and being half right .

Cocaine shall run freely again.

Hopefully the foreign girls , inevitably, who are behind the counter understand the importance of an Irish breakfast roll. The thought of even asking one whether they want pudding, and which one in their roll. What a ghastly question. Real Irish Men demand pudding. Good grief woman, one wants pudding and one wants both black and white ! And less of that Protestant English Hash Brown nonsense

Let us enjoy this short time of excess again.

Fianna Fáil are coming back baby. Galway Tent will be hoping, back to their spiritual home at the Galway Races

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

It won't properly kick off again though until Fianna Fail are fully back in power.

• Advertisement

razorblunt wrote: »
    I heard the BRI basket of goods has been updated now.
    Avacado in. Mushrooms out.

Ya won't last long in my town with that avacado nonsense. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Ush1 wrote: »
    Or an electrician. "Out the door pal" is all ya get, "won't get to you for over a month".

I'm an Electrician. What you need done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I'm getting a strong urge to put down some type of patio outside my back door... but made of wood!

DECKING I think it's called! Very Nordic looking it is.

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    It won't properly kick off again though until Fianna Fail are fully back in power.

A certain race course in Galway shall embrace them with open arms

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

ToddyDoody wrote: »

Time to build bertie bowl

jamesbere wrote: »

It would be fitting if we reconstruct part of the Spire with a big statute to the "great man". Or many a glow in the dark statute place in the Liffey were once our beloved millennium clock once lay? St Luke's could be turned into a shrine.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Oh excellent!

Looking forward to losing the run of myself since I must have been one of the few saps that missed it the first time around. McMansion here we come!!

Lt Dan wrote: »
    A certain race course in Galway shall embrace them with open arms

Someone I went to college with assisted with keeping the bag open.

• Advertisement

jamesbere wrote: »

Fine Gael are no fun in comparisson.

Advertisement