Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Vetting

Options
  • 18-11-2019 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever had a Garda call to their door as part of a vetting process? It has happened to me with my 2 most recent vetting applications, I have a third in, second in one calendar year end this appears delayed as well, I’m being hampered by these delays. It’s very annoying

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Yes it happens, usually in the context of the enhanced vetting you have to do for certain civil service positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Yes it happens, usually in the context of the enhanced vetting you have to do for certain civil service positions.

It's not for the civil service however, it's to do with soccer through the FAI, the conversation with the Gardai the last 2 times has lasted 10 seconds or less, frustrating. No one i know personally who was vetted has been in that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

I have to admit I am becoming very intrigued by what the models are hinting at this last few weeks. While no exceptional cold and snow is forecast in the foreseeable, there is a real trend in the modelling to force northern blocking, scandinavian blocking, greenland and iceland. This trend is unwavering across the model output. Unfortunately it is not yet modelled to draw in any exceptionally cold air, but bear in mind it is only the 15th of November. The jet stream wants to stay south, and low pressure over the iberian peninsula is very much our friend in this scenario. I genuinely see an interesting winter ahead. It feels a different set-up. I mean even this rain we have been experiencing, the thing of note is that it is cold rain, circulating in from east to west often as low pressure systems are diving south east. This has not been the norm in the last several years, at least not to this extent. Something is afoot, and if it does deliver cold it may well be this side of Christmas in my opinion. We have already seen snow from a marginal set up just 2 days ago in the Irish midlands.

It's not for the civil service however, it's to do with soccer through the FAI, the conversation with the Gardai the last 2 times has lasted 10 seconds or less, frustrating. No one i know personally who was vetted has been in that position.

Safeguard the kids I reckon,just making sure after all lots of deviants slipped through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

I've been vetted loads of times and never heard of this

Safeguard the kids I reckon,just making sure after all lots of deviants slipped through

I fully understand that

• Advertisement

I've been vetted loads of times and never heard of this

If you’ve been vetted consider yourself lucky it hasn’t happened

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

If you’ve been vetted consider yourself lucky it hasn’t happened

I have been vetted around 10 times and never had a visit from Gardaí. I would consider it unusual to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lunamoon

Not unusual at all. Glad to see it's happening as well especially when there's kids involved.

lunamoon wrote: »
    Not unusual at all. Glad to see it's happening as well especially when there's kids involved.

A visit for every vetting application?

A visit for every vetting application?

Well yeh, sure you could be convicted of something between your first and last vetting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Twister2

What do they check for basic vetting for soccer and the likes?

Is it convictions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

Is it simply an identification and address check? Have you moved a lot recently? Are there other people at that address with the same name who may have, how will I put it, been more acquainted with the constabulary?

Well yeh, sure you could be convicted of something between your first and last vetting.

Can’t see why that would warrant going to your door every single time? Some posters here have been vetted multiple times and never heard of it.

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    Is it simply an identification and address check? Have you moved a lot recently? Are there other people at that address with the same name who may have, how will I put it, been more acquainted with the constabulary?

I haven’t moved in 10 years. Where I lived 30 years ago there remains a guy 3 years older than me with an identical name with 20 previous convictions, I was convicted of common assault in 1998. The name sake has tried giving my details for his crimes, I was vetted in March of this year as well and had another Garda visit

I haven’t moved in 10 years. Where I lived 30 years ago there remains a guy 3 years older than me with an identical name with 20 previous convictions, I was convicted of common assault in 1998. The name she has tried giving my details for his crimes, I was vetted in March of this year as well and had another Garda visit

Well then I think it's pretty obvious why they are visiting you. Unlucky for you you've the same name as a known criminal.

Well then I think it's pretty obvious why they are visiting you. Unlucky for you you've the same name as a known criminal.

Even though I live 30 odd miles away and he still remains there? Fcuked up really

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Can’t see why that would warrant going to your door every single time? Some posters here have been vetted multiple times and never heard of it.

Don't say warrant :pac:

Don't say warrant :pac:

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭josip

Even though I live 30 odd miles away and he still remains there? Fcuked up really

I'd say the opposite. Since we don't have personal id numbers in Ireland, a lot of identification is based on name, address and being known to the local gardai.

The system seems to be working fairly well if there's a human check being done in your specific case given the name clash. And at 10 seconds a go, it really seems like just a case of making sure that you are who the application said you were, rather than them having any concerns about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Im always surprised when people who are being Garda vetted, dont have to communicate with them, especially when it comes working with vulnerable people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭dubdvd

Ive worked for the HSE for the past 20 years and when it came into force across the board i sent in my vetting form and i had the Garda to my home twice to confirm my address twice , mainly because the first 2 guards never done their jobs and a second lot came out .i did ring Templemore about this and was told that it happens i did move to a ton of addresses over the years ? and in the end i was given Garda clearance .Im wondering if any off you know if i need Garda vetting when applying for an IT job as Ive just changed my career path ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

dubdvd wrote: »
    Ive worked for the HSE for the past 20 years and when it came into force across the board i sent in my vetting form and i had the Garda to my home twice to confirm my address twice , mainly because the first 2 guards never done their jobs and a second lot came out .i did ring Templemore about this and was told that it happens i did move to a ton of addresses over the years ? and in the end i was given Garda clearance .Im wondering if any off you know if i need Garda vetting when applying for an IT job as Ive just changed my career path ???

https://vetting.garda.ie/

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/data_protection_at_work/garda_clearance_for_employees.html

If above applies you will need to be revetted by any employer doing due diligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,103 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Not that fcuked up - the crim with the same name as you could be associated with more than one address. Both Cork Truckers lived at the old house; how are the guards to be sure that the Cork Trucker who moved to the new house is the one with just the one conviction rather than the one with 20+ convictions? Goey and eyeball him, is the obvious answer.

Advertisement