Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat Leaving Cert whilst in college ?

Options
  • 06-10-2015 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Okay so this is probably not a usual question and for the moment its hypothetical. At the moment I am currently a 1st year in UCD Ag Science. I like the course and there are great job opportunities but I have always wanted Veterinary. However I didnt do chemistry for the leaving cert so i couldnt apply. What i wanted to know is could I repeat my leaving cert this year while attending UCD? I would only be sitting Chemistry, Biology and Ag Science along with keeping a B1 in construction a B3 in Physchem and passes in all my other subjects? I would be aiming for A1s in the 3 and i know it would be tough but I have B1s in Ag and Biology already and my course involves all of these along with a heaving load of chemistry. I know I would not get veterinary in UCD but I could apply for England and would be happy to go there. So basically I just want to know is this possible if i wanted to do this ? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

You can only take your points from one year. You can't combine subjects from different years for points.

You can combine subjects from different years to meet entry requirements. So if you got say 580 last year which would be enough for veterinary you could just do Chemistry this year to meet that requirement and apply with last years points.

However if you got 540 last which I know is not enough, then you would have to do 6 subjects and include chemistry in the 6 or do it as a 7th subject if you weren't confident enough to count it for points.

Also you can't count Phys/Chem with either Chemistry or Physics for points because of the huge overlap in course content.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ShaunDaSheep

I would be applying the UK though so points would not be a factor ? All the UK look for are Grades like AAB or AAABB ? I just have to have the grades ? And yeah i know i know I cant count chemistry and physchem i just mean i had it done.

I cant do 6/7 subject along with a full time 29 hour week college course in UCD.

I just want to know for the UK if i repeated Ag, Bio and Chem and got AAA and had a B in construction from the year before could i not use that to get in to a UK college ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

You're probably better off contacting UCAS. While a lot of students apply to the UK from Ireland, most people on the forum are only in LC and might not be that familiar with the application process and probably won't be asking that question if they haven't repeated for UK entry.

Advertisement