Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strong winds Sunday evening/night, Oct 5/6th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sunset

Pretty ferocious in south county Cork. Its the severe gustiness of the wind that is striking. Very quiet for a minute or so and then - wham!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

the house is literally rattling right now and the strongest winds aren't here yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

Gust of 50 KPH here in Kildare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Just opened the flight radar app. There are 4 planes approaching cork airport at the moment. The Aer Lingus from Amsterdam is on it's second attempt to land.
    All these planes landed safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 brianville

Totally agree..gusts have definitely caught my attention along with my swaying 60 ft trees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Very windy here in Roachestown in Cork.

Past through Douglas around 8 and the surface water was building, must be bad now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I'm not making this up (why would I?) but nothing more than a gentle breeze here.

South Wexford
    Very strong winds. Bin blown over...thank God rubbish is bagged in it. Moved both bins into shed.

Just walked dog. Difficult to stand in wind. Raining but not lashing.

Some gusts are actually frightening!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Wind has completely gone in Terenure, only light rain too

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

On to the next level now here with a gust of 76km/h just recorded.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Windy on the south coast with strong gusts, rattling the roof tiles, but so far (fingers crossed) we've seen stronger.
    Near kinsale on the south coast, the rain has eased and the wind sounds quite 'high' that the wind gusts could be stronger just over our heads.
    If that makes any sense.
    Hopefully it wont grow any stronger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Absolutely howling wind in Cork City at the moment. Recycling bins blowing all over the place unfortunately !

i'm dreading going down stairs and looking out the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sunset

Met Eireann wind obs for 10pm at Cork airport are interesting. 24 kts gusting to 56 kts. Rarely do you actually see the gust speed more than twice the wind speed. That's probably more potentially damaging than slightly higher wind speeds with lower gustiness. Not good for landing planes. It must have been quite a ride for those on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Latest forecast.
    Most areas wet and very windy tonight, with south to southeast winds gusting 90 to 100 km/h. and up to 120 km/h. in exposed coastal areas. The worst affected areas will continue to be along exposed southern coasts during the early part of tonight and later along eastern coasts with severe gusts likely. The rain will clear the west shortly and the clearance will extend to remaining areas later with the winds moderating and veering westerly. However showers will follow from the Atlantic, especially heavy in the northwest by morning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

A clearance here near Tralee now after 22.2mm of rain, . Wind has literally died down to an avg of 8 kph from an avg of 40 kph ( highest gust 60 kph ).Wind beginning to veer to the SW. I presume in a warm sector now with temp having risen to it's highest today of 14.4C.

Bar 988.6mb Falling Rapidly

Spoke too soon, raining again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Rain all but stopped for now,breezy with some gusts but nothing of note at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Very windy here in Blackrock ! And it's lashing rain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Wind howling in athlone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Very underwhelmed here in Galway, not much to report

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Lucy B

What time will it start to ease up in cork? Soon I hope....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

yeah was wondering was it just my site here !
    locked everything away but won't complain anyway cos I need to repair fence at back !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Rain heavy again in meath, wind seems to have died a little.

Some strong gusts here now in Kildare

Southerly gale so its really only the south and later the east coasts that get the brunt.

• Advertisement

Rain and wind had eased off here for about 20 mins, now the wind is whistling again

Getting worse on East Coast windows are shaking and had to take furniture in off the balcony too

Trees taking a hammering here now in Kildare.
    They really do liven things up big time when theyre still in full leaf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Every so often it feels like it might be easing off but then it's back, things hopping off the windows the last few minutes :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,183 ✭✭✭pauldry

In Sligo its pretty windy and 12mm of rain in past 4 hours - finaly fixed rain gaige today. Spiders living in it after september drought.

Winds of 40 knots here

56 in cork highest so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

strong gusty winds/heavy rainfall kilkenny city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Getting worse on East Coast windows are shaking and had to take furniture in off the balcony too
    :confused: still nothing out of the ordinary here, not a single rumble down the chimilly tonight. Southerlies are uncommon in my parts anyway.
    http://www.met.ie/images/windrose/dublin.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Roches Point up to 63kt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

:confused: still nothing out of the ordinary here, not a single rumble down the chimilly tonight. Southerlies are uncommon in my parts anyway.

Yes when winds swing round SSE or SE, winds will noticeably increase.

124 km/h gust off shore on Kinsale Energy platform.

Power outages spreading out now.

https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,546 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

124 km/h gust off shore on Kinsale Energy platform.

:eek:

Gusting nearly 60kts (approx 110kph) in Dublin Bay at the moment - worst I've seen it in a long time. Certainly glad I'm not out there in a boat!

Gusting near 70kph here in Kildare now

:eek::eek: yup the gazebo is pretty much gone. it's currently knocking around the back at the moment. i'm on my own tonight, there is no way i'm going out to sort it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

severe lack of breeze in leixlip. are yis sure lads?

emo72 wrote: »
    severe lack of breeze in leixlip. are yis sure lads?

would you like me to take a picture of my very battered gazebo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

sunbabe08 wrote: »

maybe its sheltered where i am:confused: this wind event seems to be localised doesnt it? bad winds somewhere and not far away hardly any winds. is this possible?

edit..... wait are you in cork? sure thats another country altogether:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭briany

sunbabe08 wrote: »

I'd rather see a pic of a very battered sausage, but go on then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Rougies

It has been getting increasingly windy and gusty here (D.16) in the past hour. Definitely a "wind event" already for these parts with rattling windows/doors and wheelie bins doing their thing.

I'm probably in the worst possible location for a southerly flow (completely sheltered to the south by the Dub/Wicklow Mtns.), but it's getting pretty wild!

The power just went out for a split second there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

emo72 wrote: »
    maybe its sheltered where i am:confused: this wind event seems to be localised doesnt it? bad winds somewhere and not far away hardly any winds. is this possible?

edit..... wait are you in cork? sure thats another country altogether:D

In athlone and we're getting rammaged. So if by localised you mean local to everywhere except you.... then yes, very localized :)

I've seen a few posts in this thread reporting how the wind gusts come in with a huge force and wham! Getting it here the past half hour in Kildare. Very strong indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Quick 30 second video of the driving rain and strong winds tonight outside of Derry. Obviously not as bad as other parts of the country...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Some pretty extreme gusts now in Blessington with driving rain. Not unlike the big one early this year!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

big gusts here in north west wicklow now well over 75kph touching 100kph i estimate

the eye is south west of Iceland from what i can tell
    http://wetterzentrale.de/pics/D2u.jpg

Lights flickering here

• Advertisement

Really really strong gusts here in Naas now. This is well on par with the strongest storms of last winter!

Advertisement